Sponsored

Do you agree with the rivian rating at your local dcfc?

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I checked out a horrible EA dcfc in Frisco, CO and I was shocked to see it had an 'A' rating. This site is lucky to have 2 of 4 running with 1 of those running at its rated 350kw speed. It's by far the worst charger on i70. As a point of comparison it's 4.6 right now on plugshare

How are everyone else's station rating?
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Maybe they need to collect more data before these rankings become meaningful. I’ve only been to the Frisco charger a couple times and both times I recall having to move stalls or attempt to initiate payment several times. It’s definitely not my favorite.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Yikes that’s the one I’d look to for a low score. Next time I’ll stop there just to hopefully supply some negative data for it

OP
OP

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
Yikes that’s the one I’d look to for a low score. Next time I’ll stop there just to hopefully supply some negative data for it
For those that know Frisco, tesla got nevi funding for a Frisco magic dock station. It's either at copper mountain by the citgo or at the ac hotel near the current Walmart ea dcfc. Either location is primo!

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The chargepoint stations at the Silverthorne Target also somehow got an A even though they only delivered 40kw every time I have used it despite advertising 200kw. Based on the ratings I am seeing there is no way I am going to visit a non-tesla charger without researching it on plugshare.

Personally I don't really care about the ratings at this point. Now that I have my Tesla adapter I am not sure if I will ever visit another non-tesla charger.

Sponsored

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Which leads to the question: How is Rivian coming up with these scores?

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I haven't looked just yet. Based on the interviews with Wassim I believe they will need some time to collect the data before the rating system will be reliable.

Maybe the station defaults to an A until more data is collected. What it should do is show "not enough data" or something similar. Would have been great if Rivian could pull PlugsShare data.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The chargepoint stations at the Silverthorne Target also somehow got an A even though they only delivered 40kw every time I have used it despite advertising 200kw.
Not saying this was necessarily your issue. But didn’t the vehicle used to provide more power info about why it was not charging? E.g limited by charger, battery cold, I swear I remember that and they took it away….

I stayed in beaver creek a few weeks ago for a fundraiser and tried to charge at vail on the way home, couldn’t get more than 30kW. Pretty sure the battery was too cold and I didn’t have enough time to precondition enroute. After skiiing I went to the Silverthorne target and got 150+ after preconditioning basically the whole was (I think battery went from 30deg to 60deg or something like that). But it would have been easy to blame to charger (despite all the other vehicles charging fine).

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Not saying this was necessarily your issue. But didn’t the vehicle used to provide more power info about why it was not charging? E.g limited by charger, battery cold, I swear I remember that and they took it away….

I stayed in beaver creek a few weeks ago for a fundraiser and tried to charge at vail on the way home, couldn’t get more than 30kW. Pretty sure the battery was too cold and I didn’t have enough time to precondition enroute. After skiiing I went to the Silverthorne target and got 150+ after preconditioning basically the whole was (I think battery went from 30deg to 60deg or something like that). But it would have been easy to blame to charger (despite all the other vehicles charging fine).
It was definitely the charger. I park in a heated garage. And I drove 10 minutes away to EA without any additional pre-conditioning and immediately got 200kw.

I think the problem is that the higher powered stalls at Target are usually broken. And lower powered 80kw stalls only give that power on a 800 volt vehicle. The most a 400w vehicle can get out of them is 40kw.

I've also never been able to figure out which chargers are supposed to be the higher powered ones, I just try them all and then never get more than 40 kW out of the ones that are working.

Sponsored

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

Great question. I’m excited about this information and also happy to see the “community building effort”. In addition to understanding how Rivian’s grades are calibrated to real world experiences now, I’m interested to know how quickly they change (say, after the 1st, 2nd, 3rd failed or slow charging experiences, or after maintenance). If the problem is a broken handle or credit card reader, and EA actually did some maintenanceto correct the problem, how quickly would the grade improve? Also, if it’s a low grade, and rivians avoid the spot, how would rivian recieve any positive charge data If no one goes to it? Again. It’s a great effort, but it’s a dynamic environment With things changing for the better or worse all the time.

Also, for me, this puts a big spotlight on EA. Surely they have this data (and more) for their dispensers. Do they just not do anything with that info? Or, do they not have the funding to actually spend on maintenance?

great start Rivian!

OP
OP

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I haven't looked just yet. Based on the interviews with Wassim I believe they will need some time to collect the data before the rating system will be reliable.

Maybe the station defaults to an A until more data is collected. What it should do is show "not enough data" or something similar. Would have been great if Rivian could pull PlugsShare data.
I've seen newer dcfc without any ratings. I think wassym confirmed in his YouTube interview that they're leveraging all the user data since their launch.

Hopefully they're able to collect user wait time using GPS data! That should factor heavily into all the ratings too!

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Both Google Maps and Ford Nav are using Plugshare data for the ratings. They both use 1 to 5 stars rather than 1 to 10 score, but it is obvious looking at the ratings they are based on Plugshare. Ford will even show the actual Plugshare comments in their phone app, but only the rating in the car. Google is working on an update to put the rating right on the map.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That's going to be one of the issues with the way Rivian is scoring vs PlugShare. With PlugShare, a driver has to actively go check-in on the app, but that allows them to make negative charging reports. With Rivian, if you never plug-in or if the truck never detects that you've plugged-in, then the session failure won't get reported at all. But if a session starts and has an error or otherwise provides a slow charge, then it'll get reported properly. Rivian also doesn't have any API access to EA data, so they have no way of knowing that any stalls are already deemed non-operational.

PlugShare scores are also unreliable because negative reports fall off the score too quickly. For instance, if a stall or two are down, the next drivers won't use them but may get a successful charge on another stall. So the score actually improves even though two stalls are still down.

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

I checked out a horrible EA dcfc in Frisco, CO and I was shocked to see it had an 'A' rating. This site is lucky to have 2 of 4 running with 1 of those running at its rated 350kw speed. It's by far the worst charger on i70. As a point of comparison it's 4.6 right now on plugshare

How are everyone else's station rating?
The specific issue with EA and the Rivian algorithm is that every EA charger is listed as a 150KW charger. So, the metric that takes into account max charge rate sees every charge on a 350KW as an over and beyond kind of thing - artificially inflating the rating.

Ratings aren't going to be perfect and hopefully as more data is collected, the better it will get.

There is a RAN near me with a B rating. No reason for it other than on other rating sites like Plugshare, so many non-Rivian owners have blasted it for not being able to charge there....
Sponsored