First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Don’t work on Tesla SuC network. The SuC polls the adapter; if it’s not Tesla configured, it doesn’t work. Fact. Spoke to Rivian two days ago.
You say "fact". Apologies if I'm about to injure your feelings, but it is exhausting how many people get online and say things like "fact" who have never tried it, and actually have no idea what they are talking about.

There are quite a few of us that are already using these unapproved heretic devices, and they work just fine. No, super chargers do not "poll the adapter", it is a pass-through device.
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
You say "fact". Apologies if I'm about to injure your feelings, but it is exhausting how many people get online and say things like "fact" who have never tried it, and actually have no idea what they are talking about.

There are quite a few of us that are already using these unapproved heretic devices, and they work just fine. No, super chargers do not "poll the adapter", it is a pass-through device.
Feelings not hurt. The “fact” was the SC manager told me it would not work. Why tell people to run out and buy a $200 adapter if not confirmed it will work? I have two Tesla HPWCs in my garage and already use a Lutron adapter to charge the Rivian at home. That works.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly

Some folks just can't help their hall monitor syndrome. They all deserve wet willys and wedgies.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Feelings not hurt. The “fact” was the SC manager told me it would not work. Why tell people to run out and buy a $200 adapter if not confirmed it will work? I have two Tesla HPWCs in my garage and already use a Lutron adapter to charge the Rivian at home. That works.
Well, they work.

ddimit

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S, Ford f150 lightning
Occupation
Tech manager
Clubs

There are quite a few of us who are already using these unapproved heretic devices, and they work just fine. No, super chargers do not "poll the adapter", it is a pass-through device.
if you open one of these up you will find DC pass through DC pics directly connected. The CP line with temp sensors. There are no advanced electronics that negotiate anything.

in fact, the CP line that passes data between the vehicle and the charger was an well-established standard before adapters were developed. The adapter is a "wire" that passes DC and control signals with a thermistor temp sensor inline with the CP line that will break the control signal if it overheats.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Well good, I'm glad that feelings are not hurt.

You now know for a fact that what you were told by the Rivian tech is not true. Many of us have experienced that recently as well lol.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Well good, I'm glad that feelings are not hurt.

You now know for a fact that what you were told by the Rivian tech is not true. Many of us have experienced that recently as well lol.
So, you’re saying I can drive up to a Tesla SuC today, with my non Rivian provided adapter and charge without issue, including payment via the Rivian app? I’m not talking about MagicDock charging with payment via the Tesla app, but rather the Rivian-Tesla charging arrangement/process using a non Rivian provided adapter. Do all brands of non Rivian adapters work, or just the brand you have?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, you’re saying I can drive up to a Tesla SuC today, with my non Rivian provided adapter and charge without issue, including payment via the Rivian app? I’m not talking about MagicDock charging with payment via the Tesla app, but rather the Rivian-Tesla charging arrangement/process using a non Rivian provided adapter. Do all brands of non Rivian adapters work, or just the brand you have?
Yes, you can. People are doing it with the A2Z adapters as well as the Ford-provided adapter. I am not sure if anybody else has an adapter ready yet, but those two adapters are working today.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Yes, you can. People are doing it with the A2Z adapters as well as the Ford-provided adapter. I am not sure if anybody else has an adapter ready yet, but those two adapters are working today.
What’s an A2Z adapter? The Ford one may have that polling code in it as it’s a Tesla approved adapter, like the Rivian one will be. The question remains, do you know if other non Tesla approved adapters will work, like my Lectron?

Edit: And how does the billing work?

Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
What’s an A2Z adapter? The Ford one may have that polling code in it as it’s a Tesla approved adapter, like the Rivian one will be. The question remains, do you know if other non Tesla approved adapters will work, like my Lectron?

Lots of posts about this the last couple of days if you look. As far as I can tell, no one has used o any of the available adapters unsuccessfully.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Billing will be done in your Rivian app.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

A2Z is one of the manufacturers that jumped on the NACS to CCS market pretty hard in the last few months. To my knowledge, they are the only aftermarket adapter currently shipping. There are a couple of threads about them on the forum here, and those threads are pretty active right now. Check them out, there is some good information.

As for how billing is handled, it is handled exactly like a RAN charging session; you have to have your credit card set up in your Rivian app.