Sponsored

evcars4all

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model S
Seriously, why do people think it makes them look cool to bash the company that is shipping more EVs and more EV parts than everybody else on the planet combined?
As an owner of two Teslas with a history of missed promises for delivery, features, parts, and service, I feel I am qualified to bash Tesla on their promises.

Tesla is the EV leader in most of the world. But, they aren't anywhere near perfect, and they certainly shouldn't be shielded from some bashing now and then for some of their practices.
Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My bad, failed to add the line " in this country"...
I kinda knew what you meant, was just being a smart ass.....

I do agree that Tesla does have a largest EV inventory in the US but they also don't have the best track record of delivering vehicles. Maybe their charging parts are different though.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As an owner of two Teslas with a history of missed promises for delivery, features, parts, and service, I feel I am qualified to bash Tesla on their promises.

Tesla is the EV leader in most of the world. But, they aren't anywhere near perfect, and they certainly shouldn't be shielded from some bashing now and then for some of their practices.
It is certainly true that every single forum has its dissatisfied detractors. Oh, the the wailing in the Ford bronco forums... And the folks waiting for their GM EVs (like me)... Not to mention, of course the Rivian folks here.

Of course, some of it is warranted, but I would argue that most of it is a disconnect between expectation and reality.

I just find myself awash in the irony of reading the complaints of having to wait to use the wonderful supercharger system while bashing Tesla for allegedly under delivering...
🤔

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I kinda knew what you meant, was just being a smart ass.....

I do agree that Tesla does have a largest EV inventory in the US but they also don't have the best track record of delivering vehicles. Maybe their charging parts are different though.
Obviously news outlets love grabbing negative headlines, so delays like the cyber truck disaster get all the press.

The model Y made it to the streets ahead of schedule. The last two Teslas I ordered were surprisingly quick to arrive. I believe anybody who wants a Tesla with the exception of a CT can have a new one sitting in the driveway within a week or two.

As for the Tesla shop, if you want an EVSE, un adapter, or anything else in their catalog, it is just a few days away.

I piped up with a couple snarky remarks because people are so quick to repeat the negative that some hack wrote up in a hit piece online. As us Rivian owners know, the bulk of those hit pieces are heavily biased and not based in fact.

Vantripping

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Power Developer
Clubs

They're made by Tesla. Tesla is already behind fulfilling the demand from Ford owners.

When GM joins the party, the backlog will be worse

Yes, in a perfect world, Tesla would have ramped up production of these as soon as it made the agreements with GM, Ford, Rivian, and others.

But, Tesla is pretty shitty about actually delivering things.
I used to be a leader of Tesla's factory engineering team and this is a product they would outsource to one of the many capable manufacturers of this component. I'm sure that production is well underway with one or more manufacturers and they just send to a fulfillment center.

What ever the process, all of our opinions on timing mean nothing, since when we get one is entirely not reliant on our opinions and only an estimate of what will be reality. I'm hopeful for late April thru May and also agree that it may be months, but I highly doubt later than a few months, as this is an easy product to be rapidly manufactured and shipped, and demand volume has been well known for some time, as these deals between OEMs and adapter manufacturers have most likely been agreed to for months.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I used to be a leader of Tesla's factory engineering team and this is a product they would outsource to one of the many capable manufacturers of this component. I'm sure that production is well underway with one of more manufacturers and they just send to a fulfillment center.

What ever the process, all of our opinions on timing mean nothing, since when we get one is entirely not reliant on our opinions and only an estimate of what will be reality. I'm hopeful for late April thru May and also agree that it may be months, but I highly doubt later than a few months, as this is an easy product to be rapidly manufactured and shipped, and demand volume has been well known for some time, as these deals between OEMs and adapter manufacturers have most likely been agreed to for months.
Yup, you certainly have more authority on this than me, but it would be shocking to me if Tesla manufactured this in house instead of using an outside manufacturer. There will be a demand spike in the short term, but there isn’t going to be a ton of demand after 2025. Wouldn’t make sense for Tesla to invest in machines and tooling for that kind of product. They’ll charge Ford, Rivian, etc. cost+ and outsource it to someone who will ramp production fast, clear the backlog and then move on to some other client’s product.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

As my beautiful wife says to me "we will get them when we get them".

I am one of those "I need it now" and then it sits on my shelf for 6 months. Since we have had the R1T (May 2023) I have only used RAN chargers, EA, and EVGo and that was 6 months ago. I don't see us doing a road trip for a long time and by the time we do, we will more than likely have the one from Rivian. I think it is a great idea to provide them from the old to the newest owners. I bet they provide the adapters to existing owners who have their vehicles first and then ones that are "configured" but not shipped.....who knows? RJ didn't get his pHD for being stupid.

What Rivian should have done is work with A2Z and Lectron, as well as having a contract mfg. make one for Rivian and send them out. They know how many R1T & R1S were sold and to whom so they can order enough to cover those and then order extras for after that. If someone bought a Rivian 3rd party or from a dealer....oh well, so sad, so sorry you have to buy one.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fake news.

I have ordered cars, adapters, EVSEs, roof shades and more from Tesla... Prompt order fulfillment and shipping.

Seriously, why do people think it makes them look cool to bash the company that is shipping more EVs and more EV parts than everybody else on the planet combined?

It's just a tired line...
Seriously can't wait for you to get your cybertruck, I'm tired of your lines as well.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

...What Rivian should have done is work with A2Z and Lectron, as well as having a contract mfg. make one for Rivian and send them out...
On June 27, 2023, SAE International announced that they would standardize the connector as SAE J3400.[20] In August 2023, Tesla issued a license to Volex to build NACS connectors.[21] The technical information report was published by SAE on December 18, 2023

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Where did this guy com up with the early adopters and first customers should be put behind "Johnny come lately" folks who stumbled into getting an early delivery.

Brian
I'm not sure but if it is by delivery date and not rez date "early" delivery R1S folks are at the back of the line if this guy is right about the ordering.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Seriously can't wait for you to get your cybertruck, I'm tired of your lines as well.
As detailed in a few places in the forums, the CT did not stand up to our testing. It did not measure up to the hype. I canceled my reservation and was promptly refunded my deposit.

The CT is a significant disappointment. When I say that, however, I say it because I drove it and tested it. It was based on my experience. Just like most of my posts on here.
;)

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
That's not a bad idea. I don't know anyone who'd let me use their markforged metal X though.
Nice, thanks for linking to that. I do a lot of 3D printing of FDM plastics, but I was not aware that MarkForged had FFF copper. This type of tech is advancing rapidly. A company we do engineering work for makes stainless powders (conceptually the same as what MarkForged starts with in their copper process you linked) which is then used for 3D printing. It's a similar powder/print/sinter type of process. It's being used in aerospace components.
Rivian R1T R1S Article: How do I get free Rivian-approved NACS DC adapter? Shipping in April! 1710889354020-ym

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

On June 27, 2023, SAE International announced that they would standardize the connector as SAE J3400.[20] In August 2023, Tesla issued a license to Volex to build NACS connectors.[21] The technical information report was published by SAE on December 18, 2023
hope that speeds up delivery

Brian-MS90D

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Dual Motor, Max pack, LA Silver)
"*For those taking delivery after in April and beyond, we’ll contact you separately about getting your adapter"

I am scheduled to pick up my R1T on March 29th. I'm going to push out to the following week to hopefully get the adapter sooner.
I am picking my R1S up on March 23rd. I asked my contact if I could get the NACS adapter then and he said no, and that "adapters will begin to be shipped starting in mid-April to all customers." I don't think delaying will help you.

And, if you're a true Rivian fan you'll take that delivery in March. ;) Rivian wants to get as many deliveries in as possible before the quarter end.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
You could buy one from A2Z or Lectron if you're impatient. They are about $200
Don’t work on Tesla SuC network. The SuC polls the adapter; if it’s not Tesla configured, it doesn’t work. Fact. Spoke to Rivian two days ago.
Sponsored