First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Lots of posts about this the last couple of days if you look. As far as I can tell, no one has used o any of the available adapters unsuccessfully.
Any thoughts on extension cables?
Sponsored

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Lots of posts about this the last couple of days if you look. As far as I can tell, no one has used o any of the available adapters unsuccessfully.
Been away and do need to catch up.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Any thoughts on extension cables?
Not that I've read. I use third party extension cables at campgrounds and stuff with no issue though, so I'm down with hearing what works.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

According to Kyle's recent video on charging a Rivian on the Tesla Supercharger Network, the adapter we will be getting is manufactured by Tesla and is the very same unit that Ford is providing to its customers.

I just hope that Rivian will be able to get these adapters out to their customers in a reasonable amount of time. I know that Rivian does not have a stellar track record of getting things done in a timely manner. Let's hope they realize that this adapter thing is vital, and will perform accordingly.

Brian

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I used to be a leader of Tesla's factory engineering team and this is a product they would outsource to one of the many capable manufacturers of this component. I'm sure that production is well underway with one or more manufacturers and they just send to a fulfillment center.

What ever the process, all of our opinions on timing mean nothing, since when we get one is entirely not reliant on our opinions and only an estimate of what will be reality. I'm hopeful for late April thru May and also agree that it may be months, but I highly doubt later than a few months, as this is an easy product to be rapidly manufactured and shipped, and demand volume has been well known for some time, as these deals between OEMs and adapter manufacturers have most likely been agreed to for months.
So you're telling me there's a chance.......!!!!!!?!!!!!

Vantripping

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Power Developer
Clubs

So you're telling me there's a chance.......!!!!!!?!!!!!
Yes indeed. It seems that volume production and shipping is just becoming available so I would think the deliveries will be in the 10,000+/month from each of several suppliers (Lectron, A2Z, Tesla, Ford, Rivian...) so we should all start getting these adapters within a few months. History of deliveries means nothing since these are just starting to be produced and get to consumers.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I can say with certainty that I have handled exactly zero cases involving melting Rivians. Anecdotally, both of my brothers are engineers and defense contractors. One electrical and one mechanical. The electrical wired up my RV for solar and did the level two charger install in my home. He's got an EV too and doesn't see any issues with using the A2Z adapter. That's good enough for me.
Engineers like myself are the very last people you should be asking. :)

Like me they'll look at it from an Engineering perspective and not a legal one. From an Engineering perspective there isn't much to the Adapters.

The problem with that is from a litigation perspective we could be liable (at least accused of it) even if the adapter played absolutely no role in what happens. There are tons of bad things that can happen when connecting a vehicle to a fast charger.

Case in point are all the EA broke my car reports.

So even if the adapters are absolutely equivalent there is still risk in using the non-Tesla provided one.

That being said I'll probably order one of the adapters because I believe it will be a long time before the official adapter arrives. Will I actually use it? Probably not more than once to try it out, but I'll keep it in my Rivian just in case something happens.

I imagine a lot of folks will simply buy it for a piece of mind, and when they get the official one they'll sell the old one.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
"*For those taking delivery after in April and beyond, we’ll contact you separately about getting your adapter"

I am scheduled to pick up my R1T on March 29th. I'm going to push out to the following week to hopefully get the adapter sooner.
Maybe within the next year you can get one 😂 If it’s anything like the new tonneau cover I’ve been waiting a year and a half now.

michaelcasto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t
Occupation
Landscaper
Engineers like myself are the very last people you should be asking. :)

Like me they'll look at it from an Engineering perspective and not a legal one. From an Engineering perspective there isn't much to the Adapters.

The problem with that is from a litigation perspective we could be liable (at least accused of it) even if the adapter played absolutely no role in what happens. There are tons of bad things that can happen when connecting a vehicle to a fast charger.

Case in point are all the EA broke my car reports.

So even if the adapters are absolutely equivalent there is still risk in using the non-Tesla provided one.

That being said I'll probably order one of the adapters because I believe it will be a long time before the official adapter arrives. Will I actually use it? Probably not more than once to try it out, but I'll keep it in my Rivian just in case something happens.

I imagine a lot of folks will simply buy it for a piece of mind, and when they get the official one they'll sell the old one.
Hopefully it’s not like my electrician’s job installing my home charger, who thought it was ok to use wire nuts from the aluminum wires and splicing so that copper would be going into the panel on the charger. That set up ended up melting a hole in the side of my charger when the transfer of heat from the aluminum and copper wire had power running through,and voided the warranty on the charger. Luckily for me the electrician refunded my money, and my house didn’t burn down! Lesson learned don’t assume a licensed electrician knows what they are doing.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is 100% my reason for buying one for peace of mind. I rather spend $167 today and have it as a back-up then worry about a tow or have range anxiety.

I will probably end up always keeping one third-party adapter as a back-up or to let members in the local area borrow if they haven't received theirs.

I plan to park as far away as possible from anyone and everyone.

I couldn't wait for the official one and ordered the A2Z one using discount code "RIV"

I will use it until the official one shows up.

I also put an order in for the Lectron one and will post up a review on both later using Klein infrared thermometer to get readings

Folks who ordered A2Z adapter 2 - 3 weeks ago are receiving it now. This is what the company has to say about availability.

A2Z EV Link - NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter | 500A | 1000V

Unofficial NACS (Tesla® Supercharger & NACS 3RD PARTY DC CHARGERS) to CCS1 Adapter YouTube review Thread.

Lectron Tesla Supercharger (NACS) to CCS Adapter | Vortex Plug | 500A | 1000V

https://amzn.to/3PwP6RZ

1711036370898-5j-png-png.png

Here we are!

Just wanted to drop in and say we’re here for you all, ready to chat and help out on the forum whenever you need.

Let's clarify something:
We have stock, we receive inventory almost everyday and we ship hundreds of orders daily since the 5th of January. Over a thousand Ford owners are already using our adapters on Tesla Superchargers since the 29th of February.

Now, about the wait time for this adapter—it's taking 2-3 weeks to ship because we've got a ton of orders to handle, we’re super strict about checking each adapter (yep, every single one gets inspected and tested in China and Canada), and our shipping team isn’t huge. But don’t worry, we’re on it! We’re thinking about bringing more folks on board to speed things up. Just hang tight, we’re getting there and improving how fast we can get these adapters out to you.

As a side note, we are the only company currently shipping NACS to CCS1 adapters, the only one...

- A2Z EV

1711041168022-9i.png
Sponsored