First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Found this video from an event in Normal back in October(ish) of 2018. I found it really interesting to see his perspective on where they were headed vs where we know them to be now. Granted Covid got in the way of some of their milestones but still a fascinating interview. Since Rivian is misspelled in the title I think it's a good bet that many on this forum haven't seen this video. (a little over 1000 views in three years)

Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
“…I look more like Wilfred Brimley..”
?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I watched the whole thing because I'm a RiviaNerd. Here's my cliff notes of interesting info, and some of my crazy thoughts:

- Largest pack range of 425 (truck) & 450 (SUV). First pre-reveal mention I've heard of the SUV, which was mentioned later as well, and indication that both vehicles would be revealed later in 2018 at the LA Auto Show.
- First vehicle goes to largest shareholder. I think that would have to be Abdul Latif Jameel (very early sizeable investor).
- Mentions electrification of jet skis, snowmobiles, & agricultural equipment. Those first two could be very on brand for adventure...and didn't they want to have a community farm at the Normal plant (possible ag R&D)?
- Or partner/license Rivian's battery & battery management tech? "A significant part of our business is leveraging the technology we built around batteries and battery control systems to help electrify the things that move on our planet. A lot of the companies that build those things that move on our planet exist here in the midwest".
- Rivian batteries will last about 3 times longer than current competition (WOW).
- Smart battery management mechanism that uses AI & adjusts in real time for specific individual vehicle use
- Stamping dies can take 52 weeks to build (WOW)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Found this video from an event in Normal back in October(ish) of 2018. I found it really interesting to see his perspective on where they were headed vs where we know them to be now. Granted Covid got in the way of some of there milestones but still a fascinating interview. Since Rivian is misspelled in the title I think it's a good bet that many on this forum haven't seen this video. (a little over 1000 views in three years)

Thanks for sharing that, I had not seen it. Interesting to see all of the plans they have as a company and how much they emphasize giving back to the community. I do remember last year they actually passed on a million dollar credit from the city that they had earned by reaching a mile stone so clearly not just talk.

Other interesting thing was seems the R1S is a bit more efficient than the R1T as he mentioned 425 miles for the large pack on the R1T and 450 for the R1S. Clearly these are initial numbers and will be interesting where they end up once in customer hands.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I watched the whole thing because I'm a RiviaNerd. Here's my cliff notes of interesting info, and some of my crazy thoughts:

- Largest pack range of 425 (truck) & 450 (SUV). First pre-reveal mention I've heard of the SUV, which was mentioned later as well, and indication that both vehicles would be revealed later in 2018 at the LA Auto Show.
- First vehicle goes to largest shareholder. I think that would have to be Abdul Latif Jameel (very early sizeable investor).
- Mentions electrification of jet skis, snowmobiles, & agricultural equipment. Those first two could be very on brand for adventure...and didn't they want to have a community farm at the Normal plant (possible ag R&D)?
- Or partner/license Rivian's battery & battery management tech? "A significant part of our business is leveraging the technology we built around batteries and battery control systems to help electrify the things that move on our planet. A lot of the companies that build those things that move on our planet exist here in the midwest".
- Rivian batteries will last about 3 times longer than current competition (WOW).
- Smart battery management mechanism that uses AI & adjusts in real time for specific individual vehicle use
- Stamping dies can take 52 weeks to build (WOW)
The numbers if they actually are able to hit these targets 425 - R1T/450 R1S

180 = 425/450
135 = 319/ 338

R1T 423 watts per mile
R1S 400 watts per mile

Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
Thanks, I had not seen that video.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The numbers if they actually are able to hit these targets 425 - R1T/450 R1S

180 = 425/450
135 = 319/ 338

R1T 423 watts per mile
R1S 400 watts per mile
Good stuff. If the form factor of the packs remain the same as the previous 135/180, their full capacity will actually be higher with the current Samsung SDI cells; however, usable capacity and corresponding range, will be less due to buffer.

Previous estimates were around 450 Wh/mi, so the estimates above would exceed expectations a bit, and the vehicles might be even more efficient now. We know the drivetrain has changed since initial reveal (hp & torque increased, and front & rear specs are no longer the same/equal).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yep, I remember them saying there are 7776 in each 135 pack (plus 1 in flashlight).

7776/9 modules (15kWh each) = 864 per module
Don't know which SUV they are referring to but we know that Rivian is using the 2170. The article is suggesting Rivian may be using this cylindrical battery that entered production in 2019:

sdi_battery.png
If the architecture holds true & this is the cell, the gross capacity of the large pack would be 141 kWh & the max pack would be 188 kWh.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I will be happy with a realistic 300 miles on 20 inch rims for the large pack. Anything above that is gravy. We just drove to Missouri and spent time looking at how long the stops were and miles driven between stops. I feel confident that the large pack can do the same trip with a little bit more time spent at each stop. Not a deal breaker for us.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So should we be expecting 337 miles for the large pack for the R1S? Maybe a little better since it'll be lighter?
Whew, I'm not expecting anything in particular...still too many variables (actual efficiency, usable pack capacity, effect of tire/wheel combos). Even once we get EPA ratings, it will take real world tests to see how reality stacks up.

I'm just treating this as a discussion & math exercise.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I will be happy with a realistic 300 miles on 20 inch rims for the large pack. Anything above that is gravy. We just drove to Missouri and spent time looking at how long the stops were and miles driven between stops. I feel confident that the large pack can do the same trip with a little bit more time spent at each stop. Not a deal breaker for us.
I feel the same way, but don't think 300 miles will happen at highway speeds. I think I'd be fine with about 225 miles from a full charge (3 hours of driving), then a 20-30 min stop every couple hours thereafter.

It will definitely take longer than ICE, but might be better overall. Life isn't a race, and might actually be a more enjoyable experience, especially if there's decent stuff in proximity to charging. If there's not much around, just taking a break could lower overall stress levels on a trip. Kick the kids out of the car, relax, & jam out to the Meridian Elevation 360.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I feel the same way, but don't think 300 miles will happen at highway speeds. I think I'd be fine with about 225 miles from a full charge (3 hours of driving), then a 20-30 min stop every couple hours thereafter.

It will definitely take longer than ICE, but might be better overall. Life isn't a race, and might actually be a more enjoyable experience, especially if there's decent stuff in proximity to charging. If there's not much around, just taking a break could lower overall stress levels on a trip. Kick the kids out of the car, relax, & jam out to the Meridian Elevation 360.
You are braver than I ?, that would only give you ~5% soc when you arrive at each charger.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition

Yes ,I should have clarified that point. I am definitely not expecting 300 miles of highway range. I tried to convince my wife to let me drive straight through to st.louis, 1515 miles, but the boss said hell no. I need to slow down more on things like that, so I think a Rivian will be a huge assist in that direction.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Even on our 4 hour trips we stop at least once to stretch legs, grab a coffee and maybe let the dog out when we have her with us, my main point was the high speed charging. If we stop every 2 hours and add 100 miles of range in 15 min Id be a total happy camper. Id rather have more shorter stops then longer stops in general just because it makes a lot of sense. Im very hopeful we will see some pretty sweet EPA figures I am actually thinking 300 miles on the Highway with AT's would probably be doable if they dialed in the efficiency really well.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If we get a realistic 300 on the 20 inch rims I'll be more than happy. I've been fully expecting it to be EPA 300 to 315 with the 21s.
Sponsored