Sponsored

Scheduled Gen2 Delivery Delayed by Firmware Update Issue

RivianPGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition
I’m the very happy owner of a Gen1 Quad R1S LE that has had 0 issues, and I decided to pull the trigger on trading it in for a Gen 2 dual max when the config I wanted happened to show up in the shop last Tuesday.

The purchase process all went smoothly and I was scheduled for delivery on Saturday at the SC which is a couple hours away. At 5pm on Friday I got a call from Rivian saying they encountered a firmware issue during delivery prep that they don’t know how to resolve yet, and they gave me the option of either driving out any way and getting a loaner followed by home delivery of my actual car later, or not driving out and just doing home delivery/trade-in later (either way free home delivery). While I was pondering those options they texted me to say they had decided it would be best for me just to wait for them to fix it and get a home delivery, which is probably what I would have chosen anyway although it also kind of makes me think they don’t think it will be a quick fix. My assumption is that something went wrong during the update process that they don’t know how to deal with in Gen 2 yet.

Anyway, mostly just posting this for informational purposes and not complaining, since it’s only been a couple of days and Rivian’s communication about the issue has been good so far. I’m just hoping I get it by the end of the month when I have a longer road trip planned where the extra 100ish miles of range will make a big difference.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Have heard at least one person having a major issue with Gen 2 that sounds software related.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Clubs

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hope they can get it figured out for you soon. At least they caught BEFORE you drove away in it!

Electrified Outdoors

Site Sponsor
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T Quad, 2024 Rivian R1S Quad
Occupation
Real Estate
Clubs

Glad they caught it. If you find out what they did, can you come back and share with us?

Sponsored

BearMan123

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Attorney
Maybe they can figure out why my mirrors randomly drop facing down to the street and how to stop the noise and vibration from the new heat pump.

If you have seen my other posts on my new Gen2, I like the car—don’t yet love it. I’m not yet prepared to take it on a long road trip and I routinely drive my BMW ix xdrive 50 on long trips. I’m going to wait at least 30 days.

Like others, I will be very interested in hearing what the issue was/is. I have been pushed 22.19.05. Others have indicated that they went to .04. Mine auto-updated to .05.

OP
OP

RivianPGH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition
Maybe they can figure out why my mirrors randomly drop facing down to the street and how to stop the noise and vibration from the new heat pump.
Are you sure the noise and vibration is from the new heat pump? If I had to complain about one thing in my Gen1, it's that the noise and vibration from the AC compressor(s) can be quite loud. Or is this all one shared compressor in Gen2?

Last edited:

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer

If you have seen my other posts on my new Gen2, I like the car—don’t yet love it. I’m not yet prepared to take it on a long road trip and I routinely drive my BMW ix xdrive 50 on long trips. I’m going to wait at least 30 days.

Like others, I will be very interested in hearing what the issue was/is. I have been pushed 22.19.05. Others have indicated that they went to .04. Mine auto-updated to .05.
Is it noisy outside the vehicle or inside the cabin? I heard it was just as loud outside, but the cabin is quieter, since the compressor was relocated from the firewall to the front frame rail.

BearMan123

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Attorney
Very noisy outside. BUT, you can feel the vibrations inside. Particularly in the steering wheel. I had a diesel Range Rover that was vastly quitier. If you open the frunk, you can really hear it and feel the vibrations. I’m staying cool as it’s 97 outside today. So, if it’s cooling challenges that they were attempting to resolve from Gen1, they did it. But, as to NVH, I have no idea who signed off on this (or at least mine).

Here is an odd thing though. You park the car. Compressor on the heat pump and fan is going hard. Walk away and your car sounds like it’s running. Get around 20’, the car doors lock. The compressor goes off immediately with the doors locking. I guess that means this compressor is solely for AC/Heat and nothing to do with the heat of the battery or it might keep going. My BMW will run the compressor to cool the car down for a touch, but it’s very quiet, doesn’t go on long, and never shakes the car.

If anyone has a contact person at Rivian, I’d like to congratulate them on so many amazing aspects of this vehicle, yet let them know that this isssue is not resolved. If my car was tested out of the factory, I have to believe they heard it and just decided that there are people out there who, as long as the car stays cold, will learn to accept it as a ‘price’ of making the leap to EV.
Sponsored