Sponsored

Static with surround audio from speakers over left driver and rear

greyhatninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
I just took delivery of an R1S over the weekend. Love it so far but curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue. When playing music from multiple different sources including bluetooth when the surround / enhanced audio is on I am experiencing staticy sound like clipping or what a blown speaker might sound like. Does anyone else have this problem? I put in a service request but I hope itā€™s a bug.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Quite a few have experienced this with the enhance/ 3D sound turned on. Sometimes itā€˜s just temporary but you can try turning that off.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Same here. Just picked up R1S yesterday. Is this a serviceable item?

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I'd say I have this also, very slight static with enhanced 3D turned on with not much coming out of the speaker to the left of my head. Not horrible but it isn't clean. Assuming its the processing they are doing on the audio quality.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The main issue is always the rear 3rd row where the subwoofer is. There are numerous people have this rattling noise with high bass music. To reduce the problem, I have to turn off enhance audio. I brought it in to service for the first time and they did some padding, but it did not improve much. Having another service in couple weeks.

Sponsored

BXM93X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also just recently took delivery of my R1S and I am experiencing this same exact issue described by the OP.
Someone please update us all if youā€™ve had it looked at or fixed by the service center.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I also just recently took delivery of my R1S and I am experiencing this same exact issue described by the OP.
Someone please update us all if youā€™ve had it looked at or fixed by the service center.
I have experienced this in my R1T and a infotainment reset resolves the issue in my experience.

oldschool

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none, yet
Occupation
designer
Clubs

This issue just popped up for me. Exact same as others. I've had it on 'Enhanced Audio" since taking delivery a few weeks ago and love the sound. But I was on a quick drive this morning on a bumpy paved city road and suddenly it just sounded terrible. I took a quick video that captures the problem well, but can't upload even a short 480p HEVC file to this thread due to file size which is a bummer. EQ is default. Position is default. Playing Spotify. Sounds like I should just add this to a punch-list for a service visit someday?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If it goes away when you turn off surround, it's a software issue - luckily. My R1T developed it after a software update. It was incredibly annoying because the side surround is right by the drivers head.

Software reset should fix it. (at least it did for me and others)

oldschool

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none, yet
Occupation
designer
Clubs

If it goes away when you turn off surround, it's a software issue - luckily. My R1T developed it after a software update. It was incredibly annoying because the side surround is right by the drivers head.

Software reset should fix it. (at least it did for me and others)
Thanks @ironpig - Just to be certain - I canā€™t force this reset myself. Service appt. required, correct?

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Thanks @ironpig - Just to be certain - I canā€™t force this reset myself. Service appt. required, correct?
There are 3 resets you can do at home (listed below). Just try the infotainment reset and hopefully that will fix it for you. It did for me. If not, you can try a full reset. If those don't work, have Rivian look at it. When it happened to me, I was certain I had a blown side speaker the way it crackled but was happy to learn it was just software. Also - it might be worth trying other sound sources after the reset - like see if it happens on Spotify, radio, phone streaming etc.

Sleep Reset
Rivian must be unplugged from charger, nothing plugged into any USB ports, Inverter off, all seatbelts unbuckled, no one in the vehicle. Then lock and walk away for at least 30 minutes.

Infotainment Reset
Hold the far left and far right buttons on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds. This fixes issues having to do with the screens, hotspots, Alexa not working, glitchy navigation, etc.

Full reset
Hold the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds. The entire computer will restart.
According to Rivian support DO NOT RESET AGAIN FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR after this procedure. There are multiple systems that may take a bit longer to fully come up after this reset.

oldschool

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none, yet
Occupation
designer
Clubs

There are 3 resets you can do at home (listed below). Just try the infotainment reset and hopefully that will fix it for you. It did for me. If not, you can try a full reset. If those don't work, have Rivian look at it. When it happened to me, I was certain I had a blown side speaker the way it crackled but was happy to learn it was just software. Also - it might be worth trying other sound sources after the reset - like see if it happens on Spotify, radio, phone streaming etc.

Sleep Reset
Rivian must be unplugged from charger, nothing plugged into any USB ports, Inverter off, all seatbelts unbuckled, no one in the vehicle. Then lock and walk away for at least 30 minutes.

Infotainment Reset
Hold the far left and far right buttons on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds. This fixes issues having to do with the screens, hotspots, Alexa not working, glitchy navigation, etc.

Full reset
Hold the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds. The entire computer will restart.
According to Rivian support DO NOT RESET AGAIN FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR after this procedure. There are multiple systems that may take a bit longer to fully come up after this reset.
@ironpig this is massively helpful and should be pinned somewhere! Working my way top to bottom today to see if this helps. Will report back.

rivianUGA

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yukon
This has been an issue that pops up after some of the OTA updates. Been seeing it on the R1Ts for at least a year. A soft reset will wipe it out. It might come back again. If so, reset again. And you guys are right--it sounds exactly like a blown speaker. But the reset does fix it.

OP
OP

greyhatninja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P
As an update. Resets wouldnā€™t fix the issue for me. I had my Rivian in the shop for multiple things including this one a month ago and it is resolved now. The issue is there is adhesive or foam that is too close to the speaker which is causing the vibration on the driver side front snd rear. They did end up adjusting that and also replacing the speaker but itā€™s likely just the distance to the material. Iā€™m sure certain frequencies make this more pronounced.
Sponsored