Sponsored

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
Hi all,

Back with some information on stealth camping this time!

We drove up the West Coast from SF to Bodega Bay and needed a place to spend the night. Found a spot frequented by RVs and vans, so I thought we would fit right in. We were parked next to 5-6 RVs, a couple of vans, and a few SUVs clearly stealth camping as well.

It was Memorial Day weekend so it was a bit rowdy at times but things were quiet after 11pm. Overall a great experience and loved waking up to the crisp air and the views. Barely used any energy overnight as we only used AC at 65F half the night. We relied more on the sleeping bag this time and it worked out fine. The ground was not flat at all so leveling feature came to the rescue as usual.

The Hipcamp spot we found near Bodega Bay was awesome because we were the only one there at the time (2 other spots near us) and it was just beautiful! We joined up with my sister, brother-in-law, and their dog, Deckard. I think Deckard had the most fun out of all of us. 🤣

I was able to finish the whole trip with a single charge, which was a nice plus. I did charge once before the trip at the Rivian fast charger in San Rafael. That's when I learned that the Rivian slow chargers are free! It was completely full, being used by Chevy Bolts and some hybrids.

Let me know if you have any questions! Love to help fellow campers go adventuring. :) 2 and a half months in with the R1S and doing something new every weekend has been a blast. Can't wait for more!

As always here's a vid if anyone is interested:

Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_01_12_03.Still029
Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay PXL_20240527_060434878.NIGHT
Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_01_53_06.Still020
Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_02_50_17.Still023
Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_04_33_16.Still025
Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_08_19_16.Still027

Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay DSC05021.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay C0477.00_01_35_07.Still018
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

What is stealth camping?
Camping without people knowing you are camping. There are enthusiasts who will park a car or van in airports, neighborhoods, etc and camp in the car by blocking the windows and being self contained. They do it because of the adventure, it is cheap, their only option, safety or all of the above.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta, Kia POS
Camping without people knowing you are camping. There are enthusiasts who will park a car or van in airports, neighborhoods, etc and camp in the car by blocking the windows and being self contained. They do it because of the adventure, it is cheap, their only option, safety or all of the above.
Is it considered illegal? Seems like it could be.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

It depends on the location, but in most places it is likely illegal and at least unpopular/creepy to others (like neighborhoods). The example above seems like it is closer to actual camping though.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T/20AT Brights, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Backpackers also do ‘stealth camping’. That can mean merely dispersed camping at sites that are not an established campground. It can also be in areas alongside roads, etc where you just don’t want anyone to know you are there. This could include your own back yard.

The definition of stealth camping is controversial in the backpacking crowd. Some say illegal camping is illegal camping, and not stealth camping. Others equate stealth camping as only when it is illegal camping.

Last edited:

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Bold move camping at the Golden Gate Bridge overlook... that parking lot is notorious for break ins with all the tourists leaving rental cars full of backpacks and luggage in full view.

In the future, if you want a safer and more serene spot, you might try the parking lots by Rodeo Beach or Bonita Lighthouse through the tunnel just up the road.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Can it even be considered stealth camping if you're in a parking lot with a bunch of other RVs, vans and SUVs? At that point it's just a parking lot full of people obviously sleeping in their vehicles.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What is stealth camping?
I think of it as camping where you normally wouldn't camp at. So pretty much everywhere that's not a designated campground. You would also do it in a way that doesn't draw attention, since naturally you wouldn't want any attention and you don't want to cause any issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've read stories where police or park rangers (in cases of state/national parks where only specific areas allow sleeping overnight) would knock on your window and ask you to move. Seems like it's understood that you just move when they ask you to and that really is all that happens.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It depends on the location, but in most places it is likely illegal and at least unpopular/creepy to others (like neighborhoods). The example above seems like it is closer to actual camping though.
Yeah definitely. As soon as I drove into the parking lot it was evident that it was a popular overnight spot for RVs and vans.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bold move camping at the Golden Gate Bridge overlook... that parking lot is notorious for break ins with all the tourists leaving rental cars full of backpacks and luggage in full view.

In the future, if you want a safer and more serene spot, you might try the parking lots by Rodeo Beach or Bonita Lighthouse through the tunnel just up the road.
There were signs but we took the risk since we were nestled with RVs and vans.

Thanks for the suggestion! Will check it out.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can it even be considered stealth camping if you're in a parking lot with a bunch of other RVs, vans and SUVs? At that point it's just a parking lot full of people obviously sleeping in their vehicles.
It's hard to put an actual definition on "stealth camping" but I just think of it as camping where you normally wouldn't camp, like a parking lot or side of a street.

Epzey

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Bodega Bay is one of my favorite places to drive down to from Oregon. I couldn’t imagine going on Memorial Day weekend. Always worth checking at the ranger hut for state park beach campsite. Only reserved there once but i found out about it the first time i drove to Bodega Bay and lucked out with the most coveted corner spot. Subsequently have rolled in on random summer days and have been extremely lucky that someone canceled or didn’t show up again and nobody had asked about availability yet.

Rivian R1T R1S Stealth Camping in San Francisco, Redwoods Camping in Bodega Bay IMG_3504
Sponsored