OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
What do you do for going to the bathroom in that setup?
We arrived late (around 930pm) so we were mostly "all done" with bathroom duties. But we brought a portable toilet we used in past camping seasons just in case. We drove to the resort early morning for a good parking spot and also to use the bathroom there!

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Yup, the reviews are good with that brand. We looked into the auto version (shaped to fit the back of a suv) but ended up with a knock off on Amazon and we are happy with it so far. The link for is floating in the thread somewhere.
Yeah if you get the megamat make sure to get the auto version it gives more room since it flares out to the 2nd row doors. I got the regular megamat 10 initially and it is great but sleeping two on it is kind of tight. I then purchased the auto version and the extra width makes a huge difference.

mung

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I too went camping and slept in the R1S with the family. Main drawback was lack of vertical space, we couldn't sit up at all, we used the Exped Duo 10.

Sponsored

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

I too went camping and slept in the R1S with the family. Main drawback was lack of vertical space, we couldn't sit up at all, we used the Exped Duo 10.
Try lying down while you sleep ;)
My girlfriend can sit up but she is very short. Sliders or running boards and handles on roof rack make getting in and out of 2nd row doors much easier.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
After setting up the mattress/bed area, we moved up the front seats and leaned them forward as much as they can go, which gave us room to sit with our feet down on the 2nd row floor. This definitely helped. For reference I'm 6' and my wife is just under 5'. She was able to sit up just fine, unlike me bumping my head everywhere :(

We also got a suv tent that attaches to the back of the car. New video next week that shows it off!

EMama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV-4
Occupation
retired
Hi all,

Picked up my R1S in early March and took it up the Sierra for a ski trip at my local resort. This time around I decided to test out sleeping in the cold and snow.

Some details first:
* 2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Pack 21"
* Start range/%: 340 miles/95%
* End range back at home: ~30 miles
* Elevation change: 6500'
* Total driven: ~100 miles each way
* All-Purpose on the highway, Snow mode in the mountains

The drive:
Drove up the mountain 6500' (100 miles, used ~170 miles). Gained some range downhill on the way home. Pleasantly surprised with 21" performance on fresh snow. Highway was well plowed.

Charging:
I am lucky that the places I frequent within ~200 miles from my home have pretty good charging infrastructure. There are Tesla superchargers with magic docks on this route as well. I'm happy to report that this trip gave me confidence about how far I can go up/down the mountain with 1 charge.

Some thoughts about sleeping in the R1S:
  • Used around 25 miles overnight from keeping the AC around 70 degrees.
  • We used a foam air mattress and a sleeping bag just in case. It was very cozy (almost too hot). We probably would bring a thin blanket instead of the sleeping bag next time.
  • AC seemed to do a good job getting the moisture out.
Other thoughts:
  • The flashlight was actually impressive. It was completely dark where we slept and that one flashlight was enough to illuminate trees/landscape all around us. But then again I never owned a real "good" flashlight.
  • The Rivian crossbars arrived just before the trip so I was able to use it with my cargo box. Really easy to install the crossbars, except it really took some elbow grease to lock in 1 of the 4 mechanisms.
  • My local resort has a Tesla HPWC, so as soon as Rivian sends out the adapters I really will have 0 range anxiety for this route! and the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is on its way! I'll be trying this for my next trip. Look forward to that video!

Now the proof of concept is complete! Looking forward to camping in the warmer months.
I know snow season is almost over in most places, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about range, nuances of sleeping in the R1S, etc.

Here's a video of the trip if anyone is interested:
[/QUOT
Hi all,

Picked up my R1S in early March and took it up the Sierra for a ski trip at my local resort. This time around I decided to test out sleeping in the cold and snow.

Some details first:
* 2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Pack 21"
* Start range/%: 340 miles/95%
* End range back at home: ~30 miles
* Elevation change: 6500'
* Total driven: ~100 miles each way
* All-Purpose on the highway, Snow mode in the mountains

The drive:
Drove up the mountain 6500' (100 miles, used ~170 miles). Gained some range downhill on the way home. Pleasantly surprised with 21" performance on fresh snow. Highway was well plowed.

Charging:
I am lucky that the places I frequent within ~200 miles from my home have pretty good charging infrastructure. There are Tesla superchargers with magic docks on this route as well. I'm happy to report that this trip gave me confidence about how far I can go up/down the mountain with 1 charge.

Some thoughts about sleeping in the R1S:
  • Used around 25 miles overnight from keeping the AC around 70 degrees.
  • We used a foam air mattress and a sleeping bag just in case. It was very cozy (almost too hot). We probably would bring a thin blanket instead of the sleeping bag next time.
  • AC seemed to do a good job getting the moisture out.
Other thoughts:
  • The flashlight was actually impressive. It was completely dark where we slept and that one flashlight was enough to illuminate trees/landscape all around us. But then again I never owned a real "good" flashlight.
  • The Rivian crossbars arrived just before the trip so I was able to use it with my cargo box. Really easy to install the crossbars, except it really took some elbow grease to lock in 1 of the 4 mechanisms.
  • My local resort has a Tesla HPWC, so as soon as Rivian sends out the adapters I really will have 0 range anxiety for this route! and the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is on its way! I'll be trying this for my next trip. Look forward to that video!

Now the proof of concept is complete! Looking forward to camping in the warmer months.
I know snow season is almost over in most places, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about range, nuances of sleeping in the R1S, etc.

Here's a video of the trip if anyone is interested:
Where specifically are the those magic docks you referenced as being on your route?

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

OP, any issues with the bumps created when you fold the 2nd/3rd row seats? Did the mattress helped mask those?

Need to check the video later today!

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Where specifically are the those magic docks you referenced as being on your route?
The one I tried earlier last month was in Placerville, CA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP, any issues with the bumps created when you fold the 2nd/3rd row seats? Did the mattress helped mask those?

Need to check the video later today!
I had no issues with the bumps/gaps created when both 2nd and 3rd rows are flat. I can't speak for all other types of mattresses but I'd assume any other air/foam mattress will be fine.

Acon

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I have a two night camping trip in a few weeks where I plan on sleeping in my S at the lower temp (61?) for each night. I presume it will be in the 40s overnight. Would I be safe in assuming I'd be safe if I plan on reserving 50 miles for the two nights?

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a two night camping trip in a few weeks where I plan on sleeping in my S at the lower temp (61?) for each night. I presume it will be in the 40s overnight. Would I be safe in assuming I'd be safe if I plan on reserving 50 miles for the two nights?
Yeah, I think that's a good assumption. I'd just make sure you have a charger somewhere on the way back just in case.
Sponsored