JonClimbs

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Nice, that's one way to save on miles. We just wanted to bring as little things as possible. Did you put it by your feet or maybe in the front seats?
It was on the center console. We also had this that made it a very comfortable car camp.https://www.amazon.com/Good-Life-Style-Heavy-Duty-84x53x4-Inches/dp/B0BXT6VDKP
Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

It was on the center console. We also had this that made it a very comfortable car camp.https://www.amazon.com/Good-Life-Style-Heavy-Duty-84x53x4-Inches/dp/B0BXT6VDKP
I think you have the wrong link. That’s the air mattress.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Battery 21"
Nice! We actually tried that air mattress but we just weren't a fan of it unfortunately. Glad it worked out for you though.

ryunited

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Hi all,

Picked up my R1S in early March and took it up the Sierra for a ski trip at my local resort. This time around I decided to test out sleeping in the cold and snow.

Some details first:
* 2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Pack 21"
* Start range/%: 340 miles/95%
* End range back at home: ~30 miles
* Elevation change: 6500'
* Total driven: ~100 miles each way
* All-Purpose on the highway, Snow mode in the mountains

The drive:
Drove up the mountain 6500' (100 miles, used ~170 miles). Gained some range downhill on the way home. Pleasantly surprised with 21" performance on fresh snow. Highway was well plowed.

Charging:
I am lucky that the places I frequent within ~200 miles from my home have pretty good charging infrastructure. There are Tesla superchargers with magic docks on this route as well. I'm happy to report that this trip gave me confidence about how far I can go up/down the mountain with 1 charge.

Some thoughts about sleeping in the R1S:
  • Used around 25 miles overnight from keeping the AC around 70 degrees.
  • We used a foam air mattress and a sleeping bag just in case. It was very cozy (almost too hot). We probably would bring a thin blanket instead of the sleeping bag next time.
  • AC seemed to do a good job getting the moisture out.
Other thoughts:
  • The flashlight was actually impressive. It was completely dark where we slept and that one flashlight was enough to illuminate trees/landscape all around us. But then again I never owned a real "good" flashlight.
  • The Rivian crossbars arrived just before the trip so I was able to use it with my cargo box. Really easy to install the crossbars, except it really took some elbow grease to lock in 1 of the 4 mechanisms.
  • My local resort has a Tesla HPWC, so as soon as Rivian sends out the adapters I really will have 0 range anxiety for this route! and the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is on its way! I'll be trying this for my next trip. Look forward to that video!

Now the proof of concept is complete! Looking forward to camping in the warmer months.
I know snow season is almost over in most places, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about range, nuances of sleeping in the R1S, etc.

Here's a video of the trip if anyone is interested:
Great video! Was surprised to see it's the first in your channel!

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
This is awesome. I’m sure sleeping on a mattress in the cabin of the Rivian was way better than a tent, especially in that cold.

What did you use to keep the light from coming in your windows, or did you just wake up with the sunrise?

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great video! Was surprised to see it's the first in your channel!
Thank you! First of many. New video next week: camping with our cat!

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is awesome. I’m sure sleeping on a mattress in the cabin of the Rivian was way better than a tent, especially in that cold.

What did you use to keep the light from coming in your windows, or did you just wake up with the sunrise?
Oh yeah, for sure. We used to go camping 4-5 times per year with our ICE car but it was mostly in the summer. Now we can expand to the other seasons!

It was pretty gloomy (small storm system was passing by starting the day before) so it was still dark when we woke up.

I ordered shades from Heatshield for all the windows but they didn't arrive in time for this trip. I used it for the next video and I plan on making a separate video on their fit, etc.

VoodooRivian

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991 Carrera S, Ford Ranger FX4, Tesla M3
Nice video. Would a larger mattress fit in the back of your R1S? Where were you skiing and was your campsite close to Donner Summit?

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice video. Would a larger mattress fit in the back of your R1S? Where were you skiing and was your campsite close to Donner Summit?
Thanks! I am using a foam air mattress made for the Model Y ( https://amzn.to/43W87TS ) and overall the width is perfect and length is a bit short. I know there's the yellow air mattress that's a perfect fit but I didn't like it as much as the foam air mattress. If you can find one with a better fit let me know!!

We were at Sierra at Tahoe, and used iOverlander to find a discreet dispersed camping spot 15 minutes away from the lift.

Sponsored

FooF

First Name
FooF
Threads
Reaction score
Website
foof.me
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch Green
Occupation
DJ
Clubs

Exped megamat auto fits the r1s well and is super comfy.

OP
OP
ChargeSetGo

ChargeSetGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exped megamat auto fits the r1s well and is super comfy.
I was actually looking at that model at REI but it just disappeared from the online store one day when we were shopping around. It's the same dimensions as the much cheaper knock off we got instead (link posted a couple times here, don't want to spam it) and we are happy with the quality so far. Glad the Exped is working out for you though, it sure does have high praises.

EJR

First Name
EJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Realtor
Hi all,

Picked up my R1S in early March and took it up the Sierra for a ski trip at my local resort. This time around I decided to test out sleeping in the cold and snow.

Some details first:
* 2024 R1S Dual Motor Large Pack 21"
* Start range/%: 340 miles/95%
* End range back at home: ~30 miles
* Elevation change: 6500'
* Total driven: ~100 miles each way
* All-Purpose on the highway, Snow mode in the mountains

The drive:
Drove up the mountain 6500' (100 miles, used ~170 miles). Gained some range downhill on the way home. Pleasantly surprised with 21" performance on fresh snow. Highway was well plowed.

Charging:
I am lucky that the places I frequent within ~200 miles from my home have pretty good charging infrastructure. There are Tesla superchargers with magic docks on this route as well. I'm happy to report that this trip gave me confidence about how far I can go up/down the mountain with 1 charge.

Some thoughts about sleeping in the R1S:
  • Used around 25 miles overnight from keeping the AC around 70 degrees.
  • We used a foam air mattress and a sleeping bag just in case. It was very cozy (almost too hot). We probably would bring a thin blanket instead of the sleeping bag next time.
  • AC seemed to do a good job getting the moisture out.
Other thoughts:
  • The flashlight was actually impressive. It was completely dark where we slept and that one flashlight was enough to illuminate trees/landscape all around us. But then again I never owned a real "good" flashlight.
  • The Rivian crossbars arrived just before the trip so I was able to use it with my cargo box. Really easy to install the crossbars, except it really took some elbow grease to lock in 1 of the 4 mechanisms.
  • My local resort has a Tesla HPWC, so as soon as Rivian sends out the adapters I really will have 0 range anxiety for this route! and the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter is on its way! I'll be trying this for my next trip. Look forward to that video!

Now the proof of concept is complete! Looking forward to camping in the warmer months.
I know snow season is almost over in most places, but I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about range, nuances of sleeping in the R1S, etc.

Here's a video of the trip if anyone is interested:
Awesome Post. Liked the video too... and self heating pots?!! I want that lunch on the mountain!!
Sponsored