Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
From Rivian Stories:
Need a current Detroit Area R1T AT/20 owners help!
RS community I am working with a company to potentially develop a steel wheel option for the R1 platform. The goal is to develop a steel wheel for off-roading and use in the winter time to protect the pricy wheels our rigs come with. They will need to have a truck that they can view in person to see if the design will provide the proper front brake caliper and suspension clearances (I have already provided them with all of the measurements). If you would be game to help out on this effort please DM me and I can let you know when and if they need to see your truck. I would be all over it but since they are Detroit based makes it more complicated for me.
For those of you interested in the measurements what they have is as follows:
Vehicle Weight: 7114 lbs
Wheel Size: 20x8.5"
Wheel Offset: +48
Backspacing: 6 11/16”
PCD: 5x5.5"
Lug Bolt: 14mm x 1.5mm [22mm socket]
Lug Bolt Torque Spec: 140 ft-lbs / 190 Nm
Centerbore: 64.1 mm
Tire Spec: Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus - 275/65-20 118H XL RIV
Notes: Massive brakes on front of vehicle present clearance issues
Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

This would be great! Hopefully they are priced in line with typical aftermarket steel wheels ($100-250 ea) and not the glamour steel wheels that have been coming standard on luxury off roaders.

Thanks for sharing

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

This would be great! Hopefully they are priced in line with typical aftermarket steel wheels ($100-250 ea) and not the glamour steel wheels that have been coming standard on luxury off roaders.

Thanks for sharing
That price unlikely to happen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

They know who the target audience is
Perhaps, that’s why I am hopeful. 🙃

Aftermarket steelies for Land Rover Discovery 3/4 and RRS are $220 plus shipping, I think the Rivian R1 is a similar buyer. Much higher than that and you can get a steset custom made at a wheel shop. So they’ll need to be priced competitively with that option in mind.

It's me and @Forager1. We're cheap. Very cheap. I'll give them $50 and a hug/wheel.
Haha, yeah. I’m quite a “value shopper”.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Weight: 7114 lbs
Wouldn't you want to base the design on the fully loaded weight? Not sure how much it would matter in the actual design.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
That price unlikely to happen.
It's not only possible, but likely.

Wouldn't you want to base the design on the fully loaded weight? Not sure how much it would matter in the actual design.
Yes. Many steel wheels have 3K load ratings per wheel, which is more than enough & better than most alloy options.

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

how would that impact the performance of the vehicle? since its run so much by computers and algorithms, what impact do you think they'd have on range, drive modes, performance, safety?

which makes me think, does the vehicle know which wheels you bought when you purchased it and would it know if you switched them? is there a way to change that in the settings?

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
how would that impact the performance of the vehicle? since its run so much by computers and algorithms, what impact do you think they'd have on range, drive modes, performance, safety?

which makes me think, does the vehicle know which wheels you bought when you purchased it and would it know if you switched them? is there a way to change that in the settings?
If they were heavier it would both decrease acceleration and efficiency. How much is the question I guess.
Sponsored