Sponsored

Steering lock

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is best part of it for me! I can actually grab onto steering wheel now to get in!
Isn't this considered "not good"? Maybe it's a myth, but I thought it was bad for something?
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Steering column locks were originally mandated for theft purposes, but once the ignition key disappeared, things seemed to have changed. My daily driver (ICE, push button start and electric power steering) doesn't have a steering column lock either. Not sure what the law actually states as the requirement for anti-theft measures now.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Steering column locks were originally mandated for theft purposes, but once the ignition key disappeared, things seemed to have changed. My daily driver (ICE, push button start and electric power steering) doesn't have a steering column lock either. Not sure what the law actually states as the requirement for anti-theft measures now.
Isn't there a safety aspect -- not just theft. If you park on an incline, you should angle your wheels such that your vehicle travels out of the path of traffic if a rollback event occurs. A steering lock helps ensure the vehicle follows the path you set.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Like what? A tie rod?
like any of the fancy pieces holding it together to support the automatic telescoping and height adjustments. Pretty sure they aren't designed to repeatedly support the weight of a driver in a perpendicular direction to the column.

Granted "weight of a driver" varies from driver to driver.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Isn't there a safety aspect -- not just theft. If you park on an incline, you should angle your wheels such that your vehicle travels out of the path of traffic if a rollback event occurs. A steering lock helps ensure the vehicle follows the path you set.
Excellent question. I use it that way occasionally, but I think that is just a beneficial side-effect of the lock.

OP
OP

Hindley_Milner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Excellent question. I use it that way occasionally, but I think that is just a beneficial side-effect of the lock.
And kids. I already have some small divots in my driveway from my son cranking the wheel back and forth...
Sponsored