Sponsored

Tesla J1772 “Black” Charger - reviews / experiences?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
I have one and use it daily for my Rivian. Replaced a Grizzl-e. Absolutely love it. I have no idea how they got the cable so thin while still carrying 48A. (Seriously, I would like to know).

I like this unit so much I have a second one on the shelf, waiting for my R1S to come in.

OP
OP

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
I have one and use it daily for my Rivian. Replaced a Grizzl-e. Absolutely love it. I have no idea how they got the cable so thin while still carrying 48A. (Seriously, I would like to know).

I like this unit so much I have a second one on the shelf, waiting for my R1S to come in.
Great, any idea if there is a way to lock others out from using it?

I’m looking for an outdoor charger at a summer home so it will likely be accessible to others for long stretches while we aren’t around?

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order

I’m looking for an outdoor charger at a summer home so it will likely be accessible to others for long stretches while we aren’t around?
That I don’t know. I know there are some access controls in the web interface (Teslas only for example) but not sure what other options there are.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT

Curious, why replace the grizzl-e? And why two chargers? 48a vs 40a would only be a 3 or 4 mph increase in speed, not justifiable in my book, unless you wanted the smart features with the Tesla charger. My wife and I share 1 grizzl-e charger and have had zero problems charging / alternating use.

Sponsored

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Curious, why replace the grizzl-e? And why two chargers? 48a vs 40a would only be a 3 or 4 mph increase in speed, not justifiable in my book, unless you wanted the smart features with the Tesla charger. My wife and I share 1 grizzl-e charger and have had zero problems charging / alternating use.
I had the 14-50 outlet installed before I (or apparently my electrician) knew about the importance of the 14-50 outlet quality. So my outlet was a $10 dryer grade outlet and not up to the safety specifications I wanted. So if I was going to spend $50 on a new outlet anyway, I wanted to just upgrade to hardwired , and due to my wiring needed a top-entry EVSE.

2 chargers is mostly due to cord management reasons and wanting the cords positioned optimally, not laying across the ground at all.

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
I have this charger and it's great. We have it on a power share with another Tesla charger that my wife uses on her MY. In the web interface I believe you can limit it to 'All Vehicles', 'Only Tesla' or 'Authorized Teslas Only', but no current way to limit it to 'authorized non-Teslas only'.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Charging two Rivians with one 40/48 Amp charger would be a real pain if they drive a lot daily or if they have to juggle parking spaces. We're sharing our Tesla charger between the Model Y and Lightning and it's a pain as we have to juggle parking. We did have one night so far where we both needed to charge so I just took the lighting to the EA charger down the street. Workable for now, but I have to do a service/panel upgrade to install a second charger. Not sure if I'm going to do it... Got quotes and was ready to, but then just had to replace a furnace and did the AC replacement while we were at it so that killed off some of the other home upgrades we were planning for the next year or two.

As for 48 vs. 40 Amp... It makes a big difference. 48A is 20% faster than 40A. And many of us deal with Time of Use pricing windows for charging our vehicles.

That was going to be my default :) , but was curious about other options.
The Tesla charger is nice, but I'd also recommend the ChargePoint Home Flex. It's working out great at a couple of our rental properties. It can be set up with access restrictions and even be turned into a paid charger. You can install it on up to a 70A circuit I believe for 55A charging output. Although most EVs can't use more than 48A.

Only complaint about the charge point is they only let you have one of them attached to an account. So separate accounts/log-ins for each charger. They keep saying they're going to change that, but who knows when...

Sponsored

NC-Rivian

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
I currently use rivian’s wall charger (48A) for my Tee with no issues. My Tesla Y arrives next week and I plan on using the Tesla 1772 adapter with the Rivian cable. There are some reports of the Tesla 1772 and Rivian not playing together nicely and if that happens, I’ll buying the Tesla wall unit to replace it.

donguanella

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S + X Refresh
Adding more positive feedback about this charger. It's probably the best one on the market right now and totally underrated (between the thin cable and the low-profile handle).

We previously had 2x Gen 2 Tesla chargers, I swapped both out for Gen 3 chargers. We now have 1x Tesla Connector, 1x J1772 version. Got the matching white plate for it. Works flawlessly with my R1s as well as our Chevy Bolt.

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software

Looks like the only two lockout options for it are 1) a specific Tesla, or 2) just Teslas.

Which makes sense since the J1772 standard doesn’t come with any authentication spec. Tesla has extended the spec, but only their cars talk the extended authentication spec.

More info on lockouts with this charger: https://www.tesla.com/support/gen-3-wall-connector-access-control

It is a great charger, better than the Rivian one. Installs easier, thinner cord, etc.

BTW, probably the reason Tesla can have a thinner cord is due to the materials being used. Obviously the copper is going to be similar, but you can have different thickness insulation depending what materials you use.

Last edited:

csharp

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

@donguanella @bjcleaver I have this charger awaiting install in a week. I was trying to figure out about the interface with it. It appears there is no app associated with it right now, is that correct? is all of the control done through the website? Can you schedule charging and look at your rates, etc through the website? Do y'all do your scheduling through your truck or through the website? Thank you for any insight!

bjcleaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco FE, Tesla Model Y, R1T
@donguanella @bjcleaver I have this charger awaiting install in a week. I was trying to figure out about the interface with it. It appears there is no app associated with it right now, is that correct? is all of the control done through the website? Can you schedule charging and look at your rates, etc through the website? Do y'all do your scheduling through your truck or through the website? Thank you for any insight!
Correct, there is no app. You login to the panel directly through your browser. From there you can really only control circuit setup, power sharing, access control. There is no reporting on rates AFAIK.

I schedule charging for the Rivian through the truck/RIvian app. My wife has a Model Y and through the Tesla app we're able to see a little more data about charging and rates.
Sponsored