Sponsored

Tesla losing steam in Ca

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I test drove an S when it first came out. The wife and I opted not to buy one because we felt it was a poor value because the interior felt so cheaply made and poorly engineered.
On the other hand, we love our starlink Internet.

We're not social media people (no Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) and don't know Elon personally, so it is kinda fascinating to be online and see such strong opinions on someone that we've only evaluated from a "is this a good or bad product" perspective. Tesla seems to be doing fine and growing here in Georgia and we haven't heard anyone complain about his companies in person.
I envy your lack of social media use.

If you see what Elon does on Twitter, maybe you'd understand a bit more.

It's legit like watching a car crash.
Sponsored

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I envy your lack of social media use.

If you see what Elon does on Twitter, maybe you'd understand a bit more.

It's legit like watching a car crash.
Hard pass on following all that stuff. Work is stressful enough. Daily yardwork, kids activities, and meal prep leaves only enough downtime to veg out with the kids and watch cartoons/play some Madden or watch a show with my wife (which invariably involves some housewife that's trying to kill her spouse).

Kylechoffman

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Model Y LR w/ Boost, '18 Model 3 LR, '06 XC90
Occupation
Salesforce Delivery Director
I think the drop is due to a combination of things happening all at once.

1. Moving pricing up and down rapidly has caused people to wonder if it is the right move to purchase a Tesla or wait to see if prices drop further.
  2. Changing in EV discounts in CA making people think differently (probably why Toyota and Honda sales are up)
  3. Musk's personal beliefs. I know some who make decisions based on this and others who don't like his beliefs but still purchased a new Tesla
  4. Tesla's having more and more functionality that requires payment. A friend just bought a second Tesla and was shocked that the garage door opener you have to pay for when he didn't in his older Tesla.
RE: #4, Tesla used to include a mobile charger, homelink and premium connectivity amongst other things. Not massive impact but $600 additional cost and $100 annually.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Musk is a big factor.

But secondly, and also Musk, he believes in simplicity and few choices for consumers. Hence the simplistic interiors, few models and updates. How many manufacturers are still selling a 10-year old body style (Model S)? Musk fired the PR department and doesn't believe he needs to appeal to consumers. He feels he knows best. It's his way or the highway.

Consumers like choices and now other companies are making compelling EV's. Many consumers wouldn't have bought a Tesla are now looking at EV's from other brands.

Their market share and margins will continue to shrink. It will be interesting to see how they compete long term. China is going to likely be one of their biggest hurdles.

Guuma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID4, Lynksys Gravel Bike
You also have a lot more choice/options out there for the consumers. With supply chains being a bit smoother now, Ford, Hyundai, KIA, VW, Rivian, Volvo, etc are all producing more EV's, which takes some of the market share away from Tesla. So if you have more choice, higher interest rates, and some inflationary pressure on discretionary spending, you end up with some headwinds for a company like Tesla (and industry as a whole). Add on top of all that any personal/policital feelings towards a brand, the struggles get amplified.

Sponsored

blooter

Banned
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Canyon, 2005 Chevy SSR
Occupation
Realtor
I get tired of the people that say they don't like Tesla because of Elon Musk. Whenever someone says that to me, I ask them what brand of car they are driving. Then I ask if they know who the CEO of that company is (they never do). I then ask how they know what the political views or other views are of that person are (they never do). People buy products every day from companies with extreme views in both directions. This is a stupid argument.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I get tired of the people that say they don't like Tesla because of Elon Musk. Whenever someone says that to me, I ask them what brand of car they are driving. Then I ask if they know who the CEO of that company is (they never do). I then ask how they know what the political views or other views are of that person are (they never do). People buy products every day from companies with extreme views in both directions. This is a stupid argument.
Except it isn’t and data support the view Elon’s position is hurting Tesla sales

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

You are right I don't know the political leanings of every CEO for every product. Do you know why? Because those CEOs keep their mouths shut and try to be careful with their image. Elon did this for years and all of a sudden he couldn't do it anymore and his true side is coming out. Same thing happened with Ford and him supporting fascist Germany and I'm sure we could find a ton of other examples. People not buying his products because of his views is a normal part of capitalism.

Also wanted to add that the biggest Tesla advantage the SC network is now opening up to other vehicles. I know quite a few that purchased a Tesla over a MachE simply because of the SC network. That difference will be gone soon.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I think there’s a simple reason why people you ask never know who the CEO of their non-Tesla car company is: The CEO isn’t making headlines on regular media or discussed all over the internet for their behaviors and positions beyond their role as CEO. I think if Elon had only focused on the company business and not become famous for controversy then most wouldn’t have strong feelings about him as they do today.

blooter

Banned
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor
I believe that it is also. That's not what I'm saying. It doesn't matter, it was just my thoughts.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I believe that it is also. That's not what I'm saying. It doesn't matter, it was just my thoughts.
I don’t know what else to get out of this:
My interpretation of what you wrote was that you encounter people who say they don’t like Musk because of his politics and those same people don’t know about politics of other CEOs. It sounds like you think Musk is getting singled out unfairly. That’s why I explained my take on why those people don’t know about other CEOs.

If I’m off-base can you please let me know what I misunderstood?

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
Well, I don’t like Tesla and will never buy one so long as Elon Musk is running it. I have a Subaru and don’t know who runs it, but I’m pretty sure he or she is not a right wing crazy troll who is likely to destroy the company and abuse its workers.

I also plan to get a Rivian. (I am waiting on the refresh!) RJ seems like he cares about Rivian and its customers. I don’t think he’s a narcissistic, half-crazed, power hungry wanna be who mistakes his wealth for value as a human. That matters to me. I know others make different choices and I’m okay with that. You may think I’m stupid, but I’m okay with that too. I know that while my purchase would be a drop in the bucket, I could never actually enjoy a Tesla because of Elon. Just like my carbon footprint is a drop in the bucket but I choose to minimize it because I feel that’s the right thing to do.

blooter

Banned
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Realtor
I don’t know what else to get out of this:

My interpretation of what you wrote was that you encounter people who say they don’t like Musk because of his politics and those same people don’t know about politics of other CEOs. It sounds like you think Musk is getting singled out unfairly. That’s why I explained my take on why those people don’t know about other CEOs.

If I’m off-base can you please let me know what I misunderstood?
No problem, you're fine. It's just the weirdness in people. Look at Facebook/Meta, doesn't get any more politically open and biased than Mark Zuckerburg but people don't cancel their Facebook accounts.

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
I met RJ at a Rivian event last year. Without thinking, the first thing I said was, “Firstly, I want to thank you for not being like Elon Musk.”

(Second, I asked about a heat pump. He said it’s coming.)
Sponsored