Tonneau, I think we have a problem.....

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Well my March 2022 R1T's tonneau has finally sh*t the bed. Oddly, it has functioned almost flawlessly during that time. It was even working fine the night before in the garage, but started making this sound the next morning and then jammed halfway upon opening. Sounds like gremlins have taken up residence inside of it. It closes fine, however. I did file a ticket a while back when it occurred, and I know a replacement is pending, but I definitely like to tinker. Just wondering if anyone has attempted a repair on their own. I've seen videos posted here of others after disassembly, but was wondering if anyone had insight on removing all of the exterior trim to access the interior.

Thanks in advance.

Sound on
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Wow. That sounds horrible. Is it coming from the track, motor, ?

Someone here on the forums documented a tear down, and it was nontrivial to say the least. Most of the bed had to come apart.

Still keeping fingers crossed that we get tonneau replacements in the summer as recently promised by RJ.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales

Someone here on the forums documented a tear down, and it was nontrivial to say the least. Most of the bed had to come apart.

Still keeping fingers crossed that we get tonneau replacements in the summer as recently promised by RJ.
s00n...

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Yes - definitely from the vicinity of the track motor. I don't want to do a full tear down - was just hoping there was an easy was to access that area without pulling everything apart.

Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Yes - definitely from the vicinity of the track motor. I don't want to do a full tear down - was just hoping there was an easy was to access that area without pulling everything apart.
Yeah, I think it was a teardown of necessity, as they couldn’t find a simple way into the tonneau’s guts. I hope I’m wrong, though.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Wow, that was worse than nails on a chalkboard!

A little warning next time!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Well my March 2022 R1T's tonneau has finally sh*t the bed. Oddly, it has functioned almost flawlessly during that time. It was even working fine the night before in the garage, but started making this sound the next morning and then jammed halfway upon opening. Sounds like gremlins have taken up residence inside of it. It closes fine, however. I did file a ticket a while back when it occurred, and I know a replacement is pending, but I definitely like to tinker. Just wondering if anyone has attempted a repair on their own. I've seen videos posted here of others after disassembly, but was wondering if anyone had insight on removing all of the exterior trim to access the interior.

Thanks in advance.

Sound on
Gremlins, eh?

To me it sounds like a gear is spinning and the related driveshaft isn’t or vice versa. Has anyone seen if there are set screws to keep various rotating parts connected? With any luck the fix could be as simple as tightening the screw so the 2 parts move as one again.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Get a pick to pull the plastic circles, a regular flat head can mar it pretty bad
There is an m6 holding down a cupped washer under each of the plastic circles in the bed

pulling the bed liner isn’t hard, just triple check that you are pulling just thefriction fit pins, not ripping off pieces that are still screwed in

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Get a pick to pull the plastic circles, a regular flat head can mar it pretty bad
There is an m6 holding down a cupped washer under each of the plastic circles in the bed

pulling the bed liner isn’t hard, just triple check that you are pulling just thefriction fit pins, not ripping off pieces that are still screwed in
Yes - I figured out how to remove the circular caps in the bed. Do you happen to know how to removed the trim piece next to the rear window and side rail running down the driver side (the rail which houses the tailgate and tonneau switch).

Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gremlins, eh?

To me it sounds like a gear is spinning and the related driveshaft isn’t or vice versa. Has anyone seen if there are set screws to keep various rotating parts connected? With any luck the fix could be as simple as tightening the screw so the 2 parts move as one again.
That was my hope as well....

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
It’s the type of gears used ……..

Material
Gear design

Back in the day , I redesigned the countershaft sprocket for the Ducati multistrada , few people with a Broach machine to mfg the perfect gear

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

Yes - I figured out how to remove the circular caps in the bed. Do you happen to know how to removed the trim piece next to the rear window and side rail running down the driver side (the rail which houses the tailgate and tonneau switch).
I do not, but fair warning I recall someone saying here those rail caps are one and done after being removed so don't pull too hard until someone gives you a better answer.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Oh the humanity!

good luck trying to fix it! I have heard tales of people smearing the tracks with lard or dry lube or somesuch to ward off the evil spirits that cause this failure mode. Unfortunately ours got stuck and broke permenantly a few weeks into ownership before I could attempt any mitigation strategy.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs