Trailer light issue

spatlennon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
Left turn signal on trailer only works when head lights are off. I also get a warning in the Rivian that there is a connection issue. I used a tester at 7 pin connection to confirm the Rivian appears to be wired correctly. I assumed I may have a recent grounding issue on the trailer (all worked ok a few weeks ago with old car.) but tested trailer with multimeter and had continuity throughout. The trailer has a 4 pin flat connector and Iā€™m using an adapter - I tried 3 different ones, none worked. Has anyone else had an issue using a 4-7 adapter? My next trouble shooting step is to see if the trailer works properly on another truck/car. Trailer is 3 years old with led lights. Rivian is ā€˜24 R1S. Thanks!!
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Ground issues often show up only under load. You need to start physically checking all connections.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

At least one other person complained about their trailer with LEDs not working properly, but I have not had issues with ours at all, nor the 7-4 adapter I have.

OP
OP
spatlennon

spatlennon

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S
As a trouble shooting method, I replaced the left tail light on the trailer and now everything works. 3 year old trailer, garage kept, with everything in great condition. I didnā€™t expect that to be the issue but it was. Or it was fluke. Either way, completed my first successful tow today. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored