Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Physician
Hi everyone,
my truck wouldn’t go into park and shut down. Rivian couldn’t fix this over the phone. So my truck was towed to the service center and they are looking into it. Anyone have this happen?
Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Any picture of the error message/warning lights?
(To be honest these new accounts posting major defects are a but hard to trust without much info but who knows...)

What do you mean by "wouldn't shut down" exactly?
The engine is still idling? :D

OP
OP

Jenlucas15

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Physician
Any picture of the error message/warning lights?
(To be honest these new accounts posting major defects are a but hard to trust without much info :D)

What do you mean by "wouldn't shut down" exactly?
The engine is still eating the gasoline? :D
Rivian R1T R1S Truck won’t park and shut down IMG_0405

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Thanks for the picture!!
And let me apologize for the initial distrust.

That looks like IPB issue?
It might be that Rivian has a system where they are not allowing to finish the "parking sequence" until the park brake is not confirmed "clamped" status.
This might to do with their hazard analysis and legal requirements and whatnots. Point if the truck is not confirmed to be secured they shall keep the driver warned that the truck is not fully parked. This way if the truck rolls and makes damages they are not liable. (this is common practice for any car OEMs)

Quite some time ago I actually was developing IPBs for OEMs believe it or not :)
Might be connector/wiring issue. Anything that prevents the ECU to confirm the rear calipers position. IPB motors can go wrong electrically, again unusual but possible.

I would say this is a "typical" brake issue with any vehicles let it be Rivian or any legacy OEM. And it is on the IPB supplier not how Rivian integrated it.

A very unfortunate failure in your case for sure.

edit: one more thing came to my mind. When IPB fails the "normal" brake ECU will keep the vehicle secure by applying hydraulic pressure to the brake calipers, this is why the orange Hold warning light is also on in your picture. This is the failsafe action in case of IPB failure.
However there is a hardware limitation in how long can the brake ECU keep the hydraulic pressure up for the vehicle hold. After which it has to release the pressure -> no auto hold and only IPB can hold the vehicle. The time limit varies from OEM to OEM, anywhere between 30 sec to 10 minutes or more. That is really up to their internal requirements.

Last edited:

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I believed a member on FB page had this issue when they removed the brake caliper to had it paint to different color and this happened. Once he put it back, it had to be reset by Rivian.
Just like Chrisy stated above. It has to do with brake failure.

Sponsored

Chrisy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
With these IPBs you need to send a diagnostic command to keep the calipers open while doing a brake job. In Rivian it is a menu item if I recall it correctly.

OP
OP

Jenlucas15

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Physician
Wow, ok thanks for the great explanation. Appreciate it. Will see what service has to say.

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

Will it let you drive? I had something similar in the fall. It also wouldnt let me drive over 19mph and said to park immediately. Had to chock the wheels until the tow truck arrived. It was some module that failed and had to be replaced. I could look it up in my service ticket if you are that concerned, but probably straight forward to them based on what shows in their diagnostic menu...

OP
OP

Jenlucas15

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Occupation
Physician
Yes i could drive or reverse