Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Updated January 24, 2024:

It’s installed! So far getting between 1.4-1.8 mi/kwh average. I was average 1.8 prior on my 20 inch in Colorado winter. I think seeing around a 15% drop in range. Not terrible. I drive like a grandma so it's managable. If you drive at higher speeds there'll be a greater range loss.

Planning on putting a Hest mattress in. Also ordering a fairing to help aero flow. Got a mount for my Starlink as well. Will be using this pretty much every weekend for skiing here in CO for next few months.. Say hello if you see me around!

I ordered a thermal pack to be installed next month TBD. Will be using an electric space heater.

Kyle from Out of Spec reached out on doing a video. Hopefully he can dig into some of the nerdier details.

Video walkthrough:

441CB554-53EC-42FE-AB54-6B92A0D9C31F.jpeg

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build 441CB554-53EC-42FE-AB54-6B92A0D9C31F

Inspired by @jjswan33 Oru camper build, I am building out my Rivian camper with Tune Outdoor. Delivery is January. I plan to use it all year here in Colorado for skiing, MTB, camping, ect. I like the additonal size on the camper in a small footprint, especially on a small truck like R1T. I got the chance to check the facility and poke around the campers, they are extremely overbuilt and spacious even on a Tacoma.

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build unnamed

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build Tune-Canopy-Camper-03

Rivian R1T R1S Tune Outdoor Camper M1 Build 22_12_16_TuneCamper_25878-2048x1366

Technical Walkthrough

Tune Outdoor

Current Specs:
Charcoal Fabric
Tempered Glass - Driver, Passenger, and Rear
King Size Slider - Will not be king size as the camper will be 67" wide. Expecting somewhere around a 67"x80" sleep area. Necessary as I am 6'1 and cannot sleep east-west with 67" width.
Power supply - Figuring out a system using my Jackery 1500. May upgrade to a larger battery pack. Figured I would top off using bed inverter.
Maxxair Fan
No passthrough slider - not possible with the Rivian's size. They would need to find a smaller window. I am fine without this.

It'll mount using the accessory points. They plan on making holes for the buttons. Eventually they want to design a mechanism to access the rail buttons without drilling holes but mine will not have that as the first production model for Rivian. They're very on board with developing a camper for Rivian. They also have plans to make accessories using the T-Track. Also discussed fabricating a fairing to reduce drag.

Will keep this updated as the build progresses.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Cool. Glad to see more options for the Rivian. Any idea what a Rivian version is going to weigh?

Sponsored

sean_k

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I reached out to them after seeing this. The tune looks like it was made for the r1t. Keep us posted, I’m curious if I can just run the power from the bed 120v without too much trouble.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I reached out to them after seeing this. The tune looks like it was made for the r1t. Keep us posted, I’m curious if I can just run the power from the bed 120v without too much trouble.
I agree. The extra space from the extrusions is great for a small truck like the Rivian. I'm very excited to get it on and start using it here in CO. Tune has been great to work with as well.

I plan on using the bed 120v primarily for heat via electric space heater in the winter. I'm concerned by how much phantom energy is lost by the inverter so unless I'm heating I plan to keep that off and use a 1500wh jackery battery bank I own. Then refill the jackery with the bed outlet. Eventually I may put solar on top but frankly that feels moderately unnecessary and a huge hassle. I also plan to use the Jackery to power Starlink. The bed's 1500w is also not enough for some uses.

A software update to control outlets via the phone would be awesome.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

A big +1 to this request. I’d love to see the whole camp menu, maybe minus auto level, in the app.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I agree. The extra space from the extrusions is great for a small truck like the Rivian. I'm very excited to get it on and start using it here in CO. Tune has been great to work with as well.

I plan on using the bed 120v primarily for heat via electric space heater in the winter. I'm concerned by how much phantom energy is lost by the inverter so unless I'm heating I plan to keep that off and use a 1500wh jackery battery bank I own. Then refill the jackery with the bed outlet. Eventually I may put solar on top but frankly that feels moderately unnecessary and a huge hassle. I also plan to use the Jackery to power Starlink. The bed's 1500w is also not enough for some uses.

we used the space heater for winter camping in our RTT last winter and it worked really well. A few times in an RV park it was great with unlimited power, but you’re right about leaving the outlets on; it seems like phantom drain has been reduced since then, but about an hour of heat in the evening and morning while camping consumed more battery than it should have, since we had to leave the outlets on all night. I don’t remember exactly, and sometimes it was not quite accurate due to the battery SOC changing when warming from really cold temps, but I think I was like 5-8% loss overnight with that strategy.

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
A big +1 to this request. I’d love to see the whole camp menu, maybe minus auto level, in the app.
the fact that you can’t control camp temp on the app is nuts. App interface to camp mode is half baked.

we used the space heater for winter camping in our RTT last winter and it worked really well. A few times in an RV park it was great with unlimited power, but you’re right about leaving the outlets on; it seems like phantom drain has been reduced since then, but about an hour of heat in the evening and morning while camping consumed more battery than it should have, since we had to leave the outlets on all night. I don’t remember exactly, and sometimes it was not quite accurate due to the battery SOC changing when warming from really cold temps, but I think I was like 5-8% loss overnight with that strategy.
this past weekend we kept our dog in the cab while sleeping in the roofnest condor. Used space heater in tent. We actually found using another space heater via the outlet uses half the power than keeping the climate on as well. Able to see the temp in cabin via app. 17% power loss with climate compared to 8% with space heaters. We sleep better as our dog is a kicker.

(sorry for the bunch of edits/deletes on your notifications, formatting was giving me trouble)

Sponsored

Stuart Hockridge

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I reached out to Tune also and have a deposit. Does anyone have any ideas on how to build/buy storage units for either side of the bed...but that are removable to still access the spare tire space ?

OP
OP
Bbok1208

Bbok1208

First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I reached out to Tune also and have a deposit. Does anyone have any ideas on how to build/buy storage units for either side of the bed...but that are removable to still access the spare tire space ?
Congrats! I just scheduled install for first week of January. Whats your build specs?

Would be interested, I'm planning on using it with minimal installation for the winter to figure out what works before making something proper. Think @jjswan33 has a galley in the forward part of the bed.

Stuart Hockridge

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
For the moment I followed your spec ! They won't get to me until April at this point so I've a little while yet