Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Wanted to cut down on the bright white light bar and headlamps a bit without going dark smoke. TWRAPS Light Smoke 70% VLT came out really nicely despite being a noob PPF installer and having the patience of a squirrel on crack.

Early feedback is that TWRAPS is a no brainer given quality and expense savings if you have the confidence to DIY. Pucker factor started high but was unwarranted after steep learning curve set in. Having the kit pre cut to the vehicle and a quality material are key. TWRAPS responded super quickly via email with any of my dumb questions.

DIY Install notes below, someone with more experience please chime in and correct any bad advice.

Go slow, be patient. PPF is tough and can be pulled and reinstalled if needed, which I did twice on one of the headlights and it came out great despite being worried about stretching it.

I used a large spray bottle with filtered water and a squirt of Dawn. Others recommend baby shampoo. Kit includes small spray bottles which already include soap just fill with water. Soap gives it slipperyness to move PPF around and softens the adhesive, finding the right amount to also get tack and stickiness is an art but no need to be to finicky. Tack comes when it dries a bit.

Once initial squeegee and placement complete, I then used a hair dryer low settings first on trickier angles and curves to flatten PPF, then on straight lines to flatten angles/curved areas (two shown below). Pros go with a heat gun but Iā€™m already hamfisted so didnā€™t trust myself on high heat.

Recommend starting on easier/smaller/flatter install areas such as headlights and tailights to get comfortable and then move onto larger more complex body panels.

Do not drop the PPF onto a dirty floor as it will likely need replaced, and note that the small ā€Pā€ and ā€œDā€ PPF indicates Passenger side and Driver side respectively.

Pic below Light Smoke installed.

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install B9893FD2-418B-4C51-8625-93D76F57C266

Pic below shows Light Smoke installed in middle light bar and driver headlamp only to show difference to stock (No PPF on driver side bar, passenger side bar, or passenger headlamp yet).

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install 8EE54C58-C342-4AE5-8BDD-7E095F1960FE

Below two examples where odd angles needed a bit of the hair dryer heat to get PPF to lay flat more easily.

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install EC7F4DBB-FE2B-4DDF-9758-6F921DD9FCC3

This triple angle is for the full frontal body PPF on one of the two side pieces.

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install FB39F813-BCFD-47FA-A170-E2BD454A38F8
Sponsored

Last edited:

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22ā€ black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
I just installed the 30% tint last week as well as the fog lights. Hereā€™s some before, after, and midway through pics for folks that wanna see different %s

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install DD3234AB-E492-4EF7-BD1A-A2B87DDDAAEF

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install D3791CD5-FA02-4310-A548-11F78556E16B

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install 89360376-305A-4F3B-96A9-0E814DBB3C35

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
A little off your topic, but I just have to say that although I'm waiting on launch green, that limestone color looks so good. It is definitely my second color choice.

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for the write up. I am not a huge fan of really dark tinted lights so I was thinking about either getting the clear headlights/taillights with yellow fogs but also was thinking the light smoke 70% would be also be a good option.

Sponsored

Sardineface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2019 BMW M5 Competition, 2021 BMW X7M
I just installed the 30% tint last week as well as the fog lights. Hereā€™s some before, after, and midway through pics for folks that wanna see different %s

DD3234AB-E492-4EF7-BD1A-A2B87DDDAAEF.jpeg

D3791CD5-FA02-4310-A548-11F78556E16B.jpeg

89360376-305A-4F3B-96A9-0E814DBB3C35.jpeg
one question - do you find the tint impacts the illumination of the headlights at all? i LOVE how this looks but worried i woudl lose visibility at night / off road.

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22ā€ black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
one question - do you find the tint impacts the illumination of the headlights at all? i LOVE how this looks but worried i woudl lose visibility at night / off road.
Great question. And the answer is NOT AT ALL. Lol these lights are bright as hell. Hereā€™s some photos with the lights on before and after for comparisons.

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install 8EB1BE7E-1695-419C-98F7-155A82AB2326

Rivian R1T R1S TWRAPS Light Smoke Headlight // DIY Install E94778FE-E30C-4C39-A442-CEADE147E527

Sardineface

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2019 BMW M5 Competition, 2021 BMW X7M
This is so helpful. Thanks a lot. Looks amazing.

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

here's some pix of my install...
IMG_9363.jpg

IMG_9450.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg
Did this tint film go directly over the 'RIVIAN' letters on the rear brake bar? Did it have a cut-out for the letters if no? Did you have to remove the letters and reinstall if no?

Thank you!

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Did this tint film go directly over the 'RIVIAN' letters on the rear brake bar? Did it have a cut-out for the letters if no? Did you have to remove the letters and reinstall if no?

Thank you!
The rear light bar tint film is one piece without any cutouts. I had originaly debadged all badging from my truck. My intent was to source the rivian logo and stick that somewhere on back. I decided to add back the lettering too but instead put it on the lightbar (and i used the smaller lettering from the door panel rather than the original larger lettering that was on the tailgate) instead of the tailgate.

a76marine

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Jeep J10 (Pickup Truck) & 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Data Analytics and Intelligence
Clubs

The rear light bar tint film is one piece without any cutouts. I had originaly debadged all badging from my truck. My intent was to source the rivian logo and stick that somewhere on back. I decided to add back the lettering too but instead put it on the lightbar (and i used the smaller lettering from the door panel rather than the original larger lettering that was on the tailgate) instead of the tailgate.
Ahh... that's right the letters are usually below the rear lightbar... my mistake, thank you!
Sponsored