Sponsored

Volvo EX90 could be worthy competitor to R1S

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Contacted the dealer to check up on this. I can't be too late, but whatever order I am is fine, not in a huge hurry (I say that now, but we know how that goes....). Just wanted to make sure it actually went through.

Edit: Salesman confirmed it is in the system and I am 75XX. Guess the email is just really slow.
Yea, it took a couple of hours to get my confirmation email that actually contained what appears to be a sequential order number (something like 8600 or so). I’m not sure how much that matters versus your place in line with a particular dealer if this will be allocation based rather than going in strict order number. You could be order number 10,000 but if you’re first in line at your dealer, and that dealer gets at least one allocation, that could put you in for a very early delivery.

Received a follow-up from my local dealer but it sounds like they weren’t 100% clued in on the process. I think their notifications come to them as an online inquiry and they were trying to tell me that I had to go online and do a reservation, but I explained to them that I had already completed that process and they received notification because I selected them during my reservation.
Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I put in my reservation to hedge my R1S one.

At this point I legitimately don't have a preference which one shows up first. I'm super excited by the Rivian but the Volvo and having a company like Volvo back the EX90 is huge (I have an XC90 now) - add the fact that Volvo safety record is impeccable and the Volvo will be cheaper in Canada than the Rivian, I might be leaning towards the Volvo.

That said though...I'll just get whichever one is ready first - that simple.

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I put in my reservation to hedge my R1S one.

At this point I legitimately don't have a preference which one shows up first. I'm super excited by the Rivian but the Volvo and having a company like Volvo back the EX90 is huge (I have an XC90 now) - add the fact that Volvo safety record is impeccable and the Volvo will be cheaper in Canada than the Rivian, I might be leaning towards the Volvo.

That said though...I'll just get whichever one is ready first - that simple.
How did you put in a reservation? You can't do it on the Volvo Canada website. Did you contact a dealer directly?

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

How did you put in a reservation? You can't do it on the Volvo Canada website. Did you contact a dealer directly?
Yup. They took my driver's licence number and my credit card number and told me I'm the 8th reservation holder. The whole process seems a bit odd since you don't get an email confirmation or anything though

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Yup. They took my driver's licence number and my credit card number and told me I'm the 8th reservation holder. The whole process seems a bit odd since you don't get an email confirmation or anything though
I'm not that desperate being in Alberta, I'm sure there will be allocations at one of the dealers here. My folks put down a deposit for an IX and were told it was a two-year waitlist. Another dealer had an open allocation and they got one in 6 months.

Sponsored

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We have an XC40 and an XC70 in our garage and I fully intended to hedge my R1S preorder with an EX90 preorder today. Once the new Volvo was revealed today, I couldn’t bring myself to put in a preorder —- even as a backup to my R1S.

I was expecting the Volvo to look much like the concept car images. Instead, it looks more like a refreshed XC90 loaded with safety technology.

I‘m waiting for my R1S without a backup Volvo “safety net.”

Last edited:
Reactions: sub

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Reserved earlier today: 78xx. I think it’s a really good deal, LiDAR will be a game changer for road-trips

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

I was expecting the Volvo to look much like the concept car images. Instead, it looks a refreshed XC90 loaded with safety technology.
To me this is a positive tbh. I find the concept looked too much like a crossover. And I mean, the XC90 isn't a true SUV and straddles that line between crossover and SUV but I'm sick of every EV looking like a crossover (which is why the Rivian appeals to me - looks like a true SUV).

I think Volvo knocked this out of the park honestly - so much so that I'm legitimately torn about which one I'd choose *IF* I had to choose..my sense though is that they'll choose for me by whomever gets me a car first....my guess is Volvo wins. Rivian in Canada right now is a crapshoot.

OP
OP

echerod

First Name
Rodolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3, BMW i3
Occupation
Finance
After watching the whole launch video and reading a few articles on the EX90, here’s my take on how it squares up with the R1S (full disclosure, I’m a huge fan of the R1S and Rivian in general, as I believe they fit very well with my particular needs and lifestyle, but I’ll try to be as objective as possible).

R1S Pros:
  • Quad motor configuration means much better torque vectoring (even though the EX90 has its own version for two motors)
  • More HP and torque mean faster acceleration and on-road performance
  • More towing capacity (most likely, although still waiting on EX90 spec)
  • More cargo room (again, most likely)
  • Better suspension for multiple use cases
  • Better off-road capabilities
  • Unique features such as camp speaker, flashlight, air compressor
  • RAN network
  • Rugged, retro boxy look that’s cool and unique (although this is highly subjective)
EX90 Pros:
  • More mainstream, sleek styling that will appeal to the masses
  • Direct online sale and dealer options means they can cater to different preferences (wider appeal)
  • Android auto and wireless Apple CarPlay
  • Lidar and overall safety features are probably superior
  • Performance is probably more than adequate for vast majority of users
  • Vehicle to home capabilities right off the bat (although Rivian has said they might add this in the future)
  • Bowers and Wilkins system with Dolby Atmos (Meridian system lacks the latter, although it won’t necessarily sound much better)
Other considerations such as range and price seem to be pretty comparable. Then there is the fact that Volvo is an established car manufacturer with a great track record with regards to quality, although its fairly new when it comes to EVs, so it remains to be seen if they can handle the transition well, so not sure if I would consider this an advantage.

In summary, as an EV fan I’m happy to see more good options come to the market, although as a RIVN shareholder I‘m a bit concerned to see that other car manufacturers are starting to catch up, so Rivian won’t be alone in this particular segment for much longer.

Sponsored

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Side profile looks like a Subaru Forester

• RAN network

What’s that? /s

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
R1S and EX90 are not really competitors in terms of capabilities, unless driving around town and on the highway are the use cases.

The R1S is quicker, with more interior volume, tows more, phenomenal air suspension, cross-hydraulic adaptive suspension, a bigger battery, and off-road capabilities the EX90 can only dream of. Half or more of what the R1S can do, the EX90 can't.

They're only somewhat comparable if you're talking about highway & around town performance.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I guarantee the majority of R1S owners will never take them off-road.
That's true, but we all know vehicle choices are not rational and solely about what you actually do with them, but rather what you want the world to think you do with them. That, and what you will use it for in the 1% use cases.

If everyone bought vehicles purely based on need, smart cars would be the number one selling vehicle on earth.
Sponsored