Sponsored

What Do You Keep In Your Rivian for Recovery?

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Thought about this recently after seeing various pics of folks stuck in dirt, mud, snow, sand etc.. Also planning on doing a ski trip or too and wanted to be ready with my R1S.
For the snow, have 21" wheel with Pirellis, but swapped for Ram 2363s with Michelin X-Ice tires.

So far, here is what I have:
- Collapsible shovel
- 20' Tow Strap & Shackle Hitch Receiver Combo
- 1/2" Synthetic Soft Shackles

Having this gear, not just for me, but also fellow drivers who get themselves in a bad spot and can't get out.

Brand wise, I went with Rhino USA, although seriously considered GearAmerica.

Other thoughts?
Sponsored

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

The items that you have are a great start. I would also have a set of good traction boards.
Also keep in mind a tow strap is just that, itā€™s a strap that is intended to tow another vehicle. If you or some one else is stuck say in mud or sand then you would want to use a recovery strap, aka snatch strap. A recovery strap is elastic and uses kinetic energy to recover the stuck vehicle. This article will do a better job explaining this concept.
https://agency6.com/blogs/news/tow-straps-vs-recovery-straps-is-there-a-difference

OP
OP

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
The items that you have are a great start. I would also have a set of good traction boards.
Also keep in mind a tow strap is just that, itā€™s a strap that is intended to tow another vehicle. If you or some one else is stuck say in mud or sand then you would want to use a recovery strap, aka snatch strap. A recovery strap is elastic and uses kinetic energy to recover the stuck vehicle. This article will do a better job explaining this concept.
https://agency6.com/blogs/news/tow-straps-vs-recovery-straps-is-there-a-difference
Good points. Thanks. Considered a recovery strap, but trying to keep costs down and have one option realizing it may not work as well for a really stuck vehicle.
Founds this on the Rhino site, and also saw the Rivian kit uses just a tow strap.
"Every other tow strap on the market (that weā€™re aware of, anyway) uses 100% nylon. Our tow straps use a unique blend of poly-silk, which is advantageous because it allows the tow strap to stretch by about 8%. This improves durability, strength, and allows for a smoother recovery.

Please note, however, that tow straps are NOT to be used in the same way as kinetic ropes. Tow straps are meant to be used for static recoveries (no running start) and not dynamic recoveries (requires a running start to build up kinetic energy). The stretch is more of an insurance policy, not a main feature. "

Mordyhelo

First Name
Mordy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Consultant
Maxtax mk II recovery boards
from Factor 55:
Extreme Duty Kinetic Energy Rope 7/8"x30'
Standard duty tow strap 30ā€™ x 2ā€
Tree saver strap 8ā€™x3ā€
1/2" Standard Duty Soft Shackle
Hitchlink 2.0 for rear recovery point
7/16" Standard Duty Soft Shackle, 1/2" Standard Duty Soft Shackle
Rope retention pulley (snatch block)

Full sized spare, bottle Jack, jack points, break bar, torque wench
Garmin Inreach mini for when all else fails

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I keep a bag with:
1ā€ x 20ā€™ Yankum rope
Soft shackles
D rings
Recovery hitch
Gloves

2x maxtrax recovery boards

Lift pucks

and I keep a set of tools in the back (simple wrench set, screwdriver and socket set).

Rivian R1T R1S What Do You Keep In Your Rivian for Recovery? IMG_1975

Rivian R1T R1S What Do You Keep In Your Rivian for Recovery? IMG_1974

Rivian R1T R1S What Do You Keep In Your Rivian for Recovery? IMG_1973

Rivian R1T R1S What Do You Keep In Your Rivian for Recovery? IMG_1972

Sponsored

OP
OP

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
I keep a bag with:
1ā€ x 20ā€™ Yankum rope
Soft shackles
D rings
Recovery hitch
Gloves

2x maxtrax recovery boards

Lift pucks

and I keep a set of tools in the back (simple wrench set, screwdriver and socket set).

IMG_1975.jpeg

IMG_1974.jpeg

IMG_1973.jpeg

IMG_1972.jpeg
Good kit.
Forgot to add my jack pucks and other tools.

OP
OP

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Maxtax mk II recovery boards
from Factor 55:
Extreme Duty Kinetic Energy Rope 7/8"x30'
Standard duty tow strap 30ā€™ x 2ā€
Tree saver strap 8ā€™x3ā€
1/2" Standard Duty Soft Shackle
Hitchlink 2.0 for rear recovery point
7/16" Standard Duty Soft Shackle, 1/2" Standard Duty Soft Shackle
Rope retention pulley (snatch block)

Full sized spare, bottle Jack, jack points, break bar, torque wench
Garmin Inreach mini for when all else fails
Thanks @Mordyhelo . Curious how the Rhino recovery boards do compared to the Maxtax mk II that are 2x as much.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good kit.
Forgot to add my jack pucks and other tools.
not for recovery, but I also keep rubber gloves, large trash bags, a towel and some other stuff in the back. Iā€™m always worried about getting pulled over with that stuff and trying to explain why I have it ( itā€™s because my son once shredded a huge patch of poison ivy with his 1/5 th scale RC car into a fine green mist and I had nothing in the car to handle it. Still makes me itchy thinking about it)

but I suppose I may need to dispose of a body at some point and those things WOULD be useful.

Last edited:

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thanks @Mordyhelo . Curious how the Rhino recovery boards do compared to the Maxtax mk II that are 2x as much.
there are lots of comparison videos out there. My opinion is that itā€™s better to have cheap boards than no boards.

If you just want to have something for ā€œjust in caseā€ that you may never actually use then cheap boards should do ok. If you are going to be off-roading every weekend then you probably want to invest in the better gear.

I got the maxtrax extreme because they are rated for the weight of the R1 and the money wasnā€™t a big deal for me in my current situation, however I am solidly in the ā€œI may never use them campā€. The most off-roading i have done so far is getting one tire into the grass off the side of the driveway trying to get around my BILā€™s terrible parking job.

oh and one time I drove through a gravel parking lot.

OP
OP

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
not for recovery, but I also keep rubber gloves, large trash bags, a towel and some other stuff in the back. Iā€™m always worried about getting pulled over with that stuff and trying to explain why I have it ( itā€™s because my son once shredded a huge patch of poison ivy with his 1/5 th scale RC car into a fine green mist and I had nothing in the car to handle it. Still makes me itchy thinking about it)
Good points. Keep gloves, extra clothes, food, and portable battery charger to jump other folks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

CardiacR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
there are lots of comparison videos out there. My opinion is that itā€™s better to have cheap boards than no boards.

If you just want to have something for ā€œjust in caseā€ that you may never actually use then cheap boards should do ok. If you are going to be off-roading every weekend then you probably want to invest in the better gear.

I got the maxtrax extreme because they are rated for the weight of the R1 and the money wasnā€™t a big deal for me in my current situation, however I am solidly in the ā€œI may never use them campā€. The most off-roading i have done so far is getting one tire into the grass off the side of the driveway trying to get around my BILā€™s terrible parking job.

oh and one time I drove through a gravel parking lot.
Good points. Took mine on a small very steep trail once 100 yards from civilianization.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

( itā€™s because my son once shredded a huge patch of poison ivy with his 1/5 th scale RC car into a fine green mist and I had nothing in the car to handle it. Still makes me itchy thinking about it)
Argh, now Iā€™m itchy.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Hair of the dog.

HeresRonnie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Gambler
If Iā€™m going exploring on trails I have maxtraxx and an old Warn recovery kit that has some shackles, tree saver and a few straps in it. I donā€™t do anything too extreme anymore when it comes to off roading though.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Iā€™m off road once or twice a month for trail work on the AT or feeder trails. Rocks jumping out to attack sidewalls are my biggest concern.
Sponsored