Sponsored

Windshield protection film and camera calibration issues?

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
Since I'm taking my truck in for windshield replacement and have been told by local AutoGlass people that they can't do Rivians since they don't have the calibration setup, I'm wondering if anyone has had discussion with Rivian on whether windshield protection film has issues with the camera requiring recalibration. Has anyone had experience of having put a film on and whether you've noticed any issues?
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Windshield replacements require recalibration of the camera because the camera's position will be changed slightly and they have to compensate for that through calibration.

Remember the old TV's on wheels where you had to align up all 3 colors? It's probably something like that.

Window film will not affect the calibration.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Windshield replacements require recalibration of the camera because the camera's position will be changed slightly and they have to compensate for that through calibration.

Remember the old TV's on wheels where you had to align up all 3 colors? It's probably something like that.

Window film will not affect the calibration.
Not sure if I could say it will not effect the calibration. It would probably depend on the thickness and the quality of the film.

If there is any diffraction or distortion once applied it may require a calibration.

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Not sure if I could say it will not effect the calibration. It would probably depend on the thickness and the quality of the film.

If there is any diffraction or distortion once applied it may require a calibration.
I doubt it. The lens is pushed so close up to the windshield that a transparent film would not make a measurable difference optically. The camera also works in the rain, with dirt, grime, etc on the windshield that cause much more optical issues than a transparent film. Tesla's have also been doing this for years.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Do NOT get windshield film. You’re throwing money away. It’ll be destroyed in a year from road debris and your wipers.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Do NOT get windshield film. You’re throwing money away. It’ll be destroyed in a year from road debris and your wipers.
But isn't that better than your actual windshield? $2000 replacement was a $100 deductible for me, but a huge PITA. Truck in the shop for a week, a month to get reimbursed from insurance.

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
But isn't that better than your actual windshield? $2000 replacement was a $100 deductible for me, but a huge PITA. Truck in the shop for a week, a month to get reimbursed from insurance.
Exactly this. Get the film, it is inexpensive and easily replaced. I have had a number of strikes and, fingers-crossed, only minor blemishes in the film. 19k+ miles and counting.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Exactly this. Get the film, it is inexpensive and easily replaced. I have had a number of strikes and, fingers-crossed, only minor blemishes in the film. 19k+ miles and counting.
THAT'S IT.

I'm going back for the UV and tint on the inside, gonna get outside film too. How much did it run you?

boredcleaner

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt, Model 3, R1T VIN 34XX LE Glacier White
Occupation
Engineer
I think it was $400 for tints and the windshield. I don’t have the breakdown.
Sponsored