Sponsored

Will I be the only Rivian in New England?

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
06 Chevy diesel, 1947 Dodge truck, MG midget
Occupation
Historic house steward
Curious if you recall seeing any trucks with 20” wheels? Just wondering how many they are delivering these days. Currently I’m holding out for 20s but getting more and more tempted to switch to 21s if it will expedite things in a significant way.
There were more 21’s but there were 20’s and 22’s also. I’d suggest taking a ride over if you are close (Brookline if I remember correctly) as they don’t lock the gates after hours. I don’t think rim selection is the log jam at this point but it’s worth doing a little personal survey. Like I said, there were more Riv blue truck than I’d seen in the past. I’d also suggest using the chat function and sending a couple of emails as I’m convinced that the squeaky wheel factor is part of their deciding factors for who gets a preorder filled, for better or worse.
Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Yeah, I wish it were easier for me to get to Chelsea, but it's like 40-45 minutes from Acton on a good day, and most days driving through Boston are not good ones. Shoot, I'm still on the fence about going to pick it up or trying to have them deliver it to my house. I'd, of course, prefer the vehicle sooner, but I'd also love to not deal with Boston traffic.

So for now I sit blissfully aware of where my truck is. My guide had no update yesterday other than to tell me the SC will text me as soon as they receive it. I have a feeling that's not 100% accurate, and it's more that they'll text me once they are able to get to mine, as it seems like there's a lot to deliver for them right now

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Historic house steward
Yeah, I wish it were easier for me to get to Chelsea, but it's like 40-45 minutes from Acton on a good day, and most days driving through Boston are not good ones. Shoot, I'm still on the fence about going to pick it up or trying to have them deliver it to my house. I'd, of course, prefer the vehicle sooner, but I'd also love to not deal with Boston traffic.

So for now I sit blissfully aware of where my truck is. My guide had no update yesterday other than to tell me the SC will text me as soon as they receive it. I have a feeling that's not 100% accurate, and it's more that they'll text me once they are able to get to mine, as it seems like there's a lot to deliver for them right now
I wonder if you could do a Saturday pick up, assuming you’re trading something in. It might be worth a Saturday or better yet a Sunday drive just to check out the lot also fun to see it if you have your VIN

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I wonder if you could do a Saturday pick up, assuming you’re trading something in. It might be worth a Saturday or better yet a Sunday drive just to check out the lot also fun to see it if you have your VIN
Totally. If Saturday is an option, it's likely what I'd select, same with Sunday. But I'm going to guess they're closed on Sundays. As it is, I'm going camping this weekend, then on Monday to Burl VT, returning next Friday. So I have time to wait at this point.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

When I was taking delivery I had asked to do a pickup and was told that the Chelsea SC can't do pickups because they're not licensed to do so. The only options are to have them deliver to your house or meet them at a neutral location.

Sponsored

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
When I was taking delivery I had asked to do a pickup and was told that the Chelsea SC can't do pickups because they're not licensed to do so. The only options are to have them deliver to your house or meet them at a neutral location.
Oh, wow, that's interesting and good to know! Thanks for the heads-up.

SomervilleR1T

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Historic house steward
Oh, wow, that's interesting and good to know! Thanks for the heads-up.
They’re now let people into the waiting room so it’s at least worth asking if they are now allowing pickup at the SC.

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

did anyone in Vermont do a first mile drive prior to Truck delivery? We have sat in one @ the Venice CA but not had a chance to drive one.
I haven't heard of any test drives in New England, most of us just had to buy sight unseen :)
Where are you in VT?

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
I haven't heard of any test drives in New England, most of us just had to buy sight unseen :)
Where are you in VT?
I figured that would be the case. We are South Hero - champlain islands.

ShrinkDoc

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, VW Alltrack
Occupation
Psychiatrist
There were more 21’s but there were 20’s and 22’s also. I’d suggest taking a ride over if you are close (Brookline if I remember correctly) as they don’t lock the gates after hours. I don’t think rim selection is the log jam at this point but it’s worth doing a little personal survey. Like I said, there were more Riv blue truck than I’d seen in the past. I’d also suggest using the chat function and sending a couple of emails as I’m convinced that the squeaky wheel factor is part of their deciding factors for who gets a preorder filled, for better or worse.
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m in Arlington so it’s a pretty quick and easy trip to Chelsea for me. I was there back when they first opened, but worth another trip now that the lot is packed. I used the chat a few months ago as well, but might be worth another go. I’m a Jan 2022 preorder so I’m not expecting anything at this point, but my impatience is getting the best of me. Chances are I’m looking at sometime in 2023.

Sponsored

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
I figured that would be the case. We are South Hero - champlain islands.
Send me a DM if you'd like to see my truck, I'm not super far from Burlington and need to make a Lowes run soon ish

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I thought this was amusing. Little update on my delivery. Someone from the Chelsea SC reached out to me last week to schedule my delivery. Said the soonest they could do an at-home delivery would be 9/1 (which was almost exactly two weeks away). I asked if I could get it sooner by going to them and they said sure, 9/26 (Friday) they had two afternoon slots open for pickup. Sweet! So schedule it I did.

However, as others have suggested, they cannot do deliveries at Chelsea, apparently. So we're meeting at the dog park in Stoneham to make it happen. It's shown on my delivery update page as an at-home delivery, too.

It's a little weird how they can schedule a time to get to Stoneham on the 26th, but they couldn't find a way to go the extra 20-30 minutes to Acton? Oh well, whatever, I'm just excited to get the truck this week!

jwardell

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jwardell.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

Forgot to post here, who else was at the Hannafords in Lebanon on Friday? I guess these trucks are starting to get a bit more common.
Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? IMG_5201

Brookliner

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Dad
Clubs

There’s a bank of four 150kw EA stations in Kittery, ME, that are very useful. They’re not the fastest stations in New England but my wife loves ’em. She’s out of the truck before I even put it in park, off to the outlets.

ElectrifiedOverland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Porsche 911, Mercedes ML350
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Thanks!
We have a similar dilemma. We have two boys, 3 and 7 and I don’t know if it makes sense to buy something big (4) that will not fit well with the truck or go with a smaller one.

As promised, here are some pics with my Roofnest Condor XL mounted up on the R1T. It overhangs about a foot, as I knew it would, but it fits my family of 4 + our small dog and there's no chance the smaller tents would do that. The boys aren't old enough to be in their own tent yet, so this is the best solution for us. The excellent design of the cargo bars make it a simple job to lift the tent on and off the truck with the help of an electric hoist that I mounted to the ceiling of the garage.

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220824_195430530.MP
Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220824_201343631.MP

Rivian R1T R1S Will I be the only Rivian in New England? PXL_20220824_200333569.MP
Sponsored