First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Ford has been steadily raising prices for the past 2 years (Not sure about Tesla), so to say they "cut" prices is a little misleading. More like they rolled back the price hikes. Tesla makes way more profit per vehicle than any other manufacturer so they can wage this kind of price/ profit war and will win without a doubt.

I think we all knew Rivian would have to do this. I could see them slowly phasing out the guide thing over time as well.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
OK. You don't know what you are talking about 🙂

FWIW it's pretty likely that Rivian's software team is pretty small. And media apps should justifiably be pretty far down their list behind things like idle power consumption (which has seen major improvements), drive efficiency (which has seen major improvements), drive modes (which have seen major improvements), security features & fundamentals (which have seen major improvements), and so on.

I've owned a Tesla for five years and from where I'm sitting Rivian's software has moved faster and with higher quality than Teslas, which is leagues ahead of everyone else. Tesla still can't reliably launch the sentry viewer or media apps without crashing.

I wouldn't be surprised if software did get cuts. Totally unsourced guess would be in ways that disproportionately impact fleet & membership.
I do know what I'm talking about because I've owned two Rivians, have extensive experience with the software in both, and I've worked in software for years. Rivian insists they can build so much of the experience themselves, then fails to deliver. That is a poor reflection on the responsible team. Their strategy is clearly untenable and should be cut.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
This seems like a narrow vision of what the software team is responsible for, and a metric that isn't indicative of a software team's overall performance
Rivian set this precedent, not me. They said they could deliver a better infotainment experience. They have failed.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I do know what I'm talking about because I've owned two Rivians, have extensive experience with the software in both, and I've worked in software for years. Rivian insists they can build so much of the experience themselves, then fails to deliver. That is a poor reflection on the responsible team. Their strategy is clearly untenable and should be cut.
Not sure what “worked *in* software” means. But as both software engineer and product manager, all of these take more precedence than infotainment:

- proper battery management
- better charging curve
- reducing vampire drain
- getting more battery-drivetrain efficient
- snow mode
- fixing bugs

All of these have been worked on and executed by the team

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Dark days for Rivian. My heart goes out to all the folks let go. Stock is down another 3.6% on the news which puts the market cap only 4 billion higher than their cash on hand. Considering Rivian has an order for 100k delivery vans from Amazon worth billions, the passenger vehicle side of Rivian is essentially worthless. The lack of EV rebates on any of their vehicles combined with price pressure from Tesla along with the cooling economy is quite the headwind for Rivian. I expect my stock to go to zero. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised. I hope we don't all end up like the folks who bought Fisker Karmas. 🤞

Sponsored

Rblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian set this precedent, not me. They said they could deliver a better infotainment experience. They have failed.
It is understandable that you find the infotainment delivery unsatisfactory; however Infotainment !== all software in the vehicle.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

So this is after the 6% last year too?

The solution to this is to ramp quicker and get to say 75k this year rather than some of the lowball 50k estimates I have seen floated for 2023.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Dark days for Rivian. My heart goes out to all the folks let go. Stock is down another 3.6% on the news which puts the market cap only 4 billion higher than their cash on hand. Considering Rivian has an order for 100k delivery vans from Amazon worth billions, the passenger vehicle side of Rivian is essentially worthless. The lack of EV rebates on any of their vehicles combined with price pressure from Tesla along with the cooling economy is quite the headwind for Rivian. I expect my stock to go to zero. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised. I hope we don't all end up like the folks who bought Fisker Karmas. 🤞
Stock went up on the news release. It was down prior to usual trading activity

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I think it's plenty sufficient and honestly better than every car bar Tesla. Excited that it can get better.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Not sure what “worked *in* software” means. But as both software engineer and product manager, all of these take more precedence than infotainment:

- proper battery management
- better charging curve
- reducing vampire drain
- getting more battery-drivetrain efficient
- snow mode
- fixing bugs
I've been an engineer and a manager of engineering teams.

These are not mutually-exclusive items. There are undoubtedly different teams devoted to these elements.

It is understandable that you find the infotainment delivery unsatisfactory; however Infotainment !== all software in the vehicle.
I didn't say it was, but for the pedantic: cut the software team(s) responsible for the infotainment.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I've been an engineer and a manager of engineering teams.

These are not mutually-exclusive items. There are undoubtedly different teams devoted to these elements.

I didn't say it was, but for the pedantic: cut the software team(s) responsible for the infotainment.
Good thing you’re not at Rivian then.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Ford has been steadily raising prices for the past 2 years (Not sure about Tesla), so to say they "cut" prices is a little misleading. More like they rolled back the price hikes. Tesla makes way more profit per vehicle than any other manufacturer so they can wage this kind of price/ profit war and will win without a doubt.

I think we all knew Rivian would have to do this. I could see them slowly phasing out the guide thing over time as well.
That's exactly right. Tesla didn't actually cut prices at all from where they should have been/were before the fake prices got inflated. Very few actually paid the pre drop prices, because those were just the advertised prices for delivery months out. But then when it was time to deliver recently, they accumulated a bunch of inventory and granted people the new price even though they reserved at 20% higher. There are very few (unfortunate) people that actually bought a Model Y for $65k.

The MY for example was over $10k higher than an Ioniq 5 and that was not sustainable. It's now priced in line with a top trim Ioniq, however you'd have to add the enhanced AP to be comparable, so it's still quite a bit more. And then they turned around and increased prices slightly shortly after.

It's silly how Tesla fans talk about them throwing their weight around, when in fact the competition forced them to bring prices down, not the other way around.