Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60

MrMetlHed

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep 4xe, R1T (Order 2/20/22, from Shop 2/11/23)
Occupation
Journalist @ Reuters

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I start every drive with, “hey Alexa, @COdogman here, can you transfer $1000 from @kanundrum ’s account to that special overseas @SASSquatch account we set up years ago and transfer it to that guy in Kuwait with an R1T?”
Well at least now I know why all those guys dressed in blue with guns visited me today🤔

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think what Tesla employees did was highly unethical.

As a customer I want to keep data sharing on to improve the product. Like I'd like to see improvements made to gear guard.

Improvements will be slowed if they don't have access to data to help train it on.

If I had a Tesla I'd turn the data sharing off, and I'd leave it off. You never when some incident might happen where you want some discretion by the company who has access to the data.

For example Gear Guard caught my friend squatting down and peeing after we'd got done hiking. She said she was going to pee so I walked away. I didn't realize till I got in the vehicle that she peed right there. Like WTF? We had a good laugh when I went to delete the video, but she wanted to keep a copy of it because she thought it was funny.

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I start every drive with, “hey Alexa, @COdogman here, can you transfer $1000 from @kanundrum ’s account to that special overseas @SASSquatch account we set up years ago and transfer it to that guy in Kuwait with an R1T?”

And then get that guy to Rivian vasectomy me so me and my blow up boos and have the best time!

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
https://www.autoblog.com/2023/04/06...tive-images-videos-recorded-by-customer-cars/

I'm waiting for my R1S delivery in 2-3 weeks. Do we have option with Rivian to restrict how much data they collect thru videos and how it's used? If we restrict do we lose any capabilities? Sorry if its already discussed.
That is a freakin' scary story. I was seriously considering a Tesla because their privacy policy at the time seemed a lot more comprehensive than Rivian's. I may have missed it in the story, but it wasn't clear if those videos included customers who had explicitly opted *out* of Tesla's data collection, but in any case the handling of that data is grossly inappropriate.

Rivian's privacy policy is A LOT longer than it used to be, and if you have the patience to read through it all, it does describe what information they collect, including some discussion of videos. In some ways the policy is helpfully specific, and in other ways it is suspiciously vague.
https://rivian.com/legal/privacy

An example of helpful specificity is that it says "Internal camera video is processed in the vehicle and raw camera footage is not shared with us or third parties. This camera video is processed into metadata or signal data and only that data is shared with us to determine whether a driver distraction alert should be initiated. The camera does not perform facial recognition or biometric data processing."

There are also options related to privacy that you can select in the vehicle, such as degrading location data so that you're located within some larger spot -- the privacy policy says 7 mile radius. Doing so means you can't use certain navigation functions. Fair trade to me, I rarely need navigation so I fuzz my location.

I get the value of data collection for improving vehicle performance, but the way cars (and cell phones, etc.) can collect data there is the huge potential -- realized potential in the case of the Tesla story above -- to abuse these data. I wish Rivian, and other manufacturers, would anonymize data by default. And give consumers the option to opt out.
Sponsored