jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Upsetting report about how invasive insurance companies are with regard to driver data. I wonder if Rivian sells data on "acceleration events." GM obviously does.

Rivian R1T R1S Insurance + Data logging 1710163139960
Rivian R1T R1S Insurance + Data logging 1710163166518
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

With GM/OnStar it's their "smart driver" system. It should be an opt-in system. However, many have reported you have to actually opt out. Otherwise it automatically collects this data, but it goes above and beyond data collection. It's actually reporting it to a 3rd party.

Any data Rivian collects is anonymized and not associated with you or your vehicle... Of course see privacy policy posted above.

The OnStar issue is a really bad way to do business and it causes privacy concerns to be amplified.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Just submitted a request for my data. It's my understanding that in California that insurance companies can't use driving data to determine rates (but I could be wrong). Will be interesting to see what they have on me. Note, you can also request to delete all of your personal data or to not share your data that Lexisnexis has.

Here's the URL to submit the request ... https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
With GM/OnStar it's their "smart driver" system. It should be an opt-in system.
When I owned my Bolt (purchased brand new from a Chevy dealer in 2017) the "smart driver" program was opt-in. I enabled it for a month or so just so I could see the reports- and was very surprised to see how many times it considered my stops "hard braking" incidents. Like I mentioned to my ins. agent "this is NY.. that's normal driving for us" and it really was. If anything I thought they'd ding me for hard acceleration (6.5sec 0-60 in the Bolt) but that never showed up on any of the reports. Anyway, I disabled it shortly after trying it just because it was so badly calibrated and out of touch with real-world driving practices.

There's lots of stuff in the "Legal" section in the Rivian main display... I urge everyone to read every part of it thoroughly.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

When I owned my Bolt (purchased brand new from a Chevy dealer in 2017) the "smart driver" program was opt-in. I enabled it for a month or so just so I could see the reports- and was very surprised to see how many times it considered my stops "hard braking" incidents. Like I mentioned to my ins. agent "this is NY.. that's normal driving for us" and it really was. If anything I thought they'd ding me for hard acceleration (6.5sec 0-60 in the Bolt) but that never showed up on any of the reports. Anyway, I disabled it shortly after trying it just because it was so badly calibrated and out of touch with real-world driving practices.

There's lots of stuff in the "Legal" section in the Rivian main display... I urge everyone to read every part of it thoroughly.
Haha same! I owned a 2017 Bolt Premiere purchased new in 2017. Did you think then when you purchase that bolt EV that you would be driving the Rivian R1T?

Semibruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

As an ElectraFi user, I'm also a little concerned about an insurance company ever getting that data.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

Just submitted a request for my data. It's my understanding that in California that insurance companies can't use driving data to determine rates (but I could be wrong). Will be interesting to see what they have on me. Note, you can also request to delete all of your personal data or to not share your data that Lexisnexis has.

Here's the URL to submit the request ... https://consumer.risk.lexisnexis.com/request
I read an article awhile back--and I could be misremembering; if anyone has read it, and can find it please share...

As I understand it (caveat emptor)--Bottom line: You're right insofar as they cannot increase YOUR rates because of YOUR driving.

HOWEVER, if they take the aggregate of data they're collecting and report on *general trends* and those general trends are an uptick in unsafe behavior, they will adjust premiums ON THE WHOLE for the subsector of vehicle type, consumer base, etc.

So, for example, if you're 45 and all 45-49 year olds, married in California (I'm totally making up your demographic, but bear with me) driving Rivians tend to swerve a lot, slam on their brakes, and accelerate hard, then that subset of individuals (45-49yo married men driving Rivians) are likely to see rate hikes year over year.

Welcome to the...future?

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Haha same! I owned a 2017 Bolt Premiere purchased new in 2017. Did you think then when you purchase that bolt EV that you would be driving the Rivian R1T?
In 2017... Rivian who? 🤣

It's been a long EV journey for me to get to the R1T..

2012 Plug-In-Prius
2014 Chevy Volt
2017 Chevy Bolt
2020 Model Y
2021 Model 3
2017 BMW i3
2023 R1T
2026 R2 (hopefully :) )

The Bolt is really a great little/affordable EV, it gets a bad rap because of the LG battery fires and how GM mishandled the battery replacements early on. My main problem with the Bolt was the early builds like my 2017 had poor (IMO) front seat comfort that made the driver seat very painful to sit in for more then 45min or so for me. Some people have no problems with the Bolt seats, but it became a big problem for me over time. My typical drive home from work was about an hour.. and I was really sore after driving home in the afternoons.

Out of all the EV's I listed above, my favorite in the lot is the BMW i3.
It's just a fantastic little commuter car that's tops on efficiency (easily gets over 4mi/kWh all year long) is super comfortable, roomy and a fun blast to drive. It also fits in parking spots others pass by because the spots are too small. With the plastic body panels.. if someone hits your doors, their door bounces right off without even leaving a scratch no less a dent. It's really the perfect local errand/commuter car.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Did you ever try their "Smart Driver" program? I was very disappointed when I saw that it considered my braking "hard" under normal NY driving conditions.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I use LexisNexis all the time... didn't know it collected driving data....

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Did you ever try their "Smart Driver" program? I was very disappointed when I saw that it considered my braking "hard" under normal NY driving conditions.
Man so similar! I was a VW TDI guy for many years. I had pretty much every generation of TDI.

2003 Beetle TDI
2006 PD Jetta TDI (totaled)
2006.5 Jetta TDI
2006 Jeep Libert CRD
2008 Grand Cherokee CRD
2012 VW Passat TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI

My EV journey started when dieselgate hit.

2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In Hybrid
2017 Bolt EV Premiere (I drove that car for 3 and a half years and loved it)
2021 Tesla Model Y Long Range
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance
2023 Rivian R1T + 2023 Rivian R1S

I am looking to swap our Honda Pilot out for a 3rd EV this year. The bolt seats were not comfortable...my wife hated them...and it wasn't a road tripping car with 55kw max DCFC speeds but I really liked the little car otherwise. GM bought it back when the battery fire issues started and I picked up a Model Y.

No I did not participate. I had the state farm trackers and they started raising my rates like crazy after six months. We got rid of state farm after two large increases...the last one was almost 30% for no reason. I am fine with anonymous data but giving insurance companies more data on which to base our policy premiums is never a good plan IMO.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Just because you have an “acceleration event” or “braking event” doesn’t mean you’re a bad driver.

As if insurance companies really ever needed reasons to increase rates even more. :rolleyes:
Sponsored