Rivian Service turned off gear guard and left it off

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I've had the "pleasure" of writing security and privacy policies for many companies. 100% included that they had no privacy and everything would be recorded at all times. Phones, property, network, everything.
For sure. I am surrounded by multiple "Consent to Monitor" stickers/placards/labels as we speak.
Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just adding that whenever I've had my car in for service they do put it in service mode and they take it back out of service mode but I've noticed it does not restore the motion camera being on..

I'm not sure if this is by design or a bug.

As for why they put it in service mode I think it's obvious for a lot of reasons they don't want phones connecting near or far, they could be open to liability like somebody walking by without a piece of PPE on. I don't think it's even a employee privacy issue as much as it is a corporate privacy issue.

I think the bottom line is it's part of the agreement of their software to have them put it in service mode when they're working on it. I would like them to update it so when it's restored it turns the camera back on and I don't have to remember to go to the camera setting.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Just adding that whenever I've had my car in for service they do put it in service mode and they take it back out of service mode but I've noticed it does not restore the motion camera being on..
The Tesla did that too, and EVERY software update forced you to disable Sentry Mode (a less cute version of Gary). I have no idea why they can't just turn it back on automatically.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

The Tesla did that too, and EVERY software update forced you to disable Sentry Mode (a less cute version of Gary). I have no idea why they can't just turn it back on automatically.

Maybe we aren't looking it it the correct way. They turn it off for corporate privacy/liability. Once it is off, turning it back on is a third party turning on a camera on your device without explicit permission to do so.

We need to page the lawyers in here, but I feel like I could see someone making the argument (in court or something) that the camera was in an "off" state and then it was in an "on" state specifically because Rivian turned the service mode off. This led to a violation of my client's privacy your honor as he had no warning that the camera was on, he was not the last person to turn it on, and it led to my client's wife/husband/spouse/bf/gf finding out that they had a relationship with someone that drives a Tesla! The plaintiff rests..

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Sure monitored by companies. Not by customers. Big difference.
I don't disagree. Look back at my comments in this thread.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

They turn it off for corporate privacy/liability.
I don't agree.

As a practical real-world occurrence, a friend took his Corvette in for a wrap and other high end detailing stuff. It has built in cameras that were not shut off. He caught the shop joyriding his car, including burnouts, and then cleaning up the evidence. And then fiddling with the nav, probably to remove location evidence or something.

THAT is why some shops want the cameras off.

I had aftermarket dashcams in my previous cars and they were not disabled in service.
Sponsored