First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
2022 @ 2018 pricing does not sound too unreasonable if they are forthright about it.
I would not be ok with it if I bought at the higher price though.
Well, they are selling the 2022's at full boat (price based on your reservation date), no discounts at all. You could get a Feb 2022 build or a Aug 2023 build... they would be the same price.
Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

2022 @ 2018 pricing does not sound too unreasonable if they are forthright about it.
I would not be ok with it if I bought at the higher price though.
Yes, they have to be upfront about it. Now, I'm back in the store and too scared to pull the trigger without my guide confirming it isn't older than the last one they matched me with.

invernite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Honday Odyssey
Occupation
Clicking refresh in the R1 Shop
Clubs

When I was in the shop looking to pull the trigger earlier this year, my guide told me on multiple occasions that she couldn't see the VINs. Either she was untruthful, didn't know how to look them up, or the process changed since then.

I've asked myself since March why they don't just show the VINs in the shop; I can go to just about any dealer site, browse inventory, and see the VIN for the vehicle I'm considering. Rivian's approach to this makes no sense to me.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
When I was in the shop looking to pull the trigger earlier this year, my guide told me on multiple occasions that she couldn't see the VINs. Either she was untruthful, didn't know how to look them up, or the process changed since then.

I've asked myself since March why they don't just show the VINs in the shop; I can go to just about any dealer site, browse inventory, and see the VIN for the vehicle I'm considering. Rivian's approach to this makes no sense to me.
They don't want anyone, including stock analysts, from knowing how much re-worked 2022 inventory they are still needing to unload. Deliberate obfuscation.

Rivian obviously has the VIN numbers, and those are reflected in the configs shown on the web site because if you select one they will match you to a specific VIN. The data is there, they are choosing not to show it.

The only reasons I can think of are:
1. Rivian is holding more 2022's then they want anyone to know
2. When they flip to calendar 2024 and the 2024 model year they don't want anyone to know how many 2022's and 2023's they still need to move

Look, they've issued guidance on production but with Tesla's sub-$80K Model X readily available in any color it's quite possible production is slowing as the demand backlog is exhausted due to lower-priced alternatives (or those priced near Rivian's original pricing) from just about every automaker. Add on persistent high interest rates and the rate of order cancellations may very well be increasing. You can pick up a new Audi Q8 eTron, Mercedes EQE SUV, BMW iX, etc. with basically no wait and with money on the hood they are selling for sub $80K as higher priced configs are just sitting on lots. Mix in the sub $80K Model X and then add in the Volvo EX90 and Polestar 3 appearing next year, also at/below the $80K mark, the Blazer EV even lower (though I'd argue it's not competitive) and you can posit that Rivian's current prices are too high and the only buyers for a quad are very early adopters.

To rebuild the sales pipeline Rivian needs to scale up Enduro production (which also helps margins) and bring out the standard pack. Then a standard pack Enduro gets Rivian a toe in the $80K waters without having to drop the prices on quad/larges. Tough balancing act but in the short term they need to obscure all of these movements as they get magnified and amplified in the stock.

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am sure the car is great but I’m not thrilled about getting a 2022 vehicle as we head towards 2024. I haven’t scheduled delivery yet and am willing to work with my guide or just stick with my pre order. Any advice for how to resolve and do you agree a NN vin and 1502 number is a bit much late in 2023?
I agree with most here that the build year should be transparent however receiving the 2022 is not all bad.
If as a early res. holder we would have been more than happy to receive that same vin last year. The price is still significantly better than a new order, I did a identical build & mine would now be 35% more($35k Ca). As others have said the year does not make much difference on resale.
At the end of the day you are getting a 2022 @ 2018 pricing, quite unlike X buyers that bought 9 months ago & paid 40k more than current buyers.
If Rivian was on schedule we would have been driving 2021 models, no one would have been upset about that.
Rivian needs to move product & make a profit if they don't we all loose.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If they want to move those 2022's without people complaining about the build year- run another "sale" with a $5K discount plus 1 week delivery promise and they fly out the door!

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

My exact build but an LE Launch Green is in the shop right now and I want it. I’m so scared of getting a 2022 though :(

DonkeyKong

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S Launch & 2022 R1T Quad
I was told all launch editions would be 2022. I still pulled the trigger.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Who told you that? There’s been multiple people here with 2023 LEs. In fact my previous car I had from the shop was an April 2023 LE.

gv4rs1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M6 2014, Tesla MY LR 2021, Chevy Volt LE 2018
Occupation
IT
I'm a Aug 2021 reservation holder, live near a SC in San Diego; my estimated delivery estimate went from Nov-Dec 2023 to 'Processing Estimate'. I got R1S shop access but reading all these comments makes me nervous about pulling the trigger on one although I've seen some that exactly matched my build.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

You at least have one time to unmatch.

I would have kept the April 2023 build but wheels were already in motion over a weekend to remove it.

DonkeyKong

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My guide in writing. I complained. Was told I could give up my $1,000 and walk away or keep it.

DonkeyKong

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As others have mentioned, it’s a recent change. Within the past couple weeks most likely. Once you lock, a disclaimer pops up that you agree to give up your $1,000 if you want to to be unlocked. It is what it is at this point. Trying to escalate it got me nowhere so I am stuck with it or lose the $1,000.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

As others have mentioned, it’s a recent change. Within the past couple weeks most likely. Once you lock, a disclaimer pops up that you agree to give up your $1,000 if you want to to be unlocked. It is what it is at this point. Trying to escalate it got me nowhere so I am stuck with it or lose the $1,000.
No, it’s not, because I just did that THIS WEEK. Like Monday. I just did it.

And many are getting 2023 LE’s. Sounds to me like your guide is just crappy.
Sponsored