ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

In the past month or so, I've received 3 "Vehicle Error" charging errors while charging at 6kw at work, about once a week, or slightly less. Sent tickets to Rivian each time. They have asked me to charge at home to see if it's a problem at work with those chargers. But no one else at work has had problems with the chargers (I have to only Rivian). App tells me to unplug and plug in again, but all my truck does is unlock when I approach, and start charging again. It seems to stop 1-2 hours after I plug in.

Its also frustrating since the app does not give a notification that charging has stopped. I have to make an active decision to open the app, and make sure its still charging. Rivian needs to provide an alert if charging has stopped before 5%-10% of our charging target, for 15-30 minutes, so we know something is wrong, and our trips/plans may not be able to be completed as we plan.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/vehicle-error-on-home-charging.15560/
Sponsored

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I encountered this problem for the first time last night. Drove into the garage at about 8:30 pm with a scheduled charge to start at midnight using a WallBox EVSE I've been using without problem for the last month. About 30 minutes after plugging in I went to close the Rivian app in my phone and saw the "Vehicle Error" message. Unplugged and plugged in again as requested on the driver's screen. A few minutes later, same error message.

I reset the charge schedule to charge immediately, unplugged and plugged in again. That worked and I got the full charge, though not at the cheapest rate.

At times I'll need to leave the truck unused but plugged in for multiple weeks. I wasn't too concerned as my vampire drain isn't as bad as some have reported (<1% per day.) But even so, the uncertainty of maintaining a charged battery at home while I'm away is disconcerting. I guess that until this problem is resolved I won't leave for a trip with less than a 95% charge on the battery.

Also, I agree, the Rivian app needs to send a notification of this error. Had I not inadvertently seen the error, I would have awakened to find the truck with a SoC too low for the day's activities.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
I too had had that issue. Worked with Rivian service for w resets, which worked for 10 minutes and then faulted again. This time we reset the vehicle, and made sure it went into deep sleep so it could reset any error codes. After 30 minutes we woke the vehicle and began charging, which seemed to do the trick. I am hopeful that when we charge again today that it is resolved.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I had that problem intermittently for a few weeks but now it won't charge at all. Spends a few minutes getting started and then fails. Level1 charging works and will try and find a L2 and L3 later today.

I can't figure out if my intermittent vehicle error is relates to my current "won't start charging no matter what" problem.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
How do you force a deep sleep to clear the error codes?

Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
How do you force a deep sleep to clear the error codes?
Customer service had me do a reset, which is left button on the steering wheel plus the hazard. Once rebooted, I turned my phone Bluetooth off and walked away with all keys for 30 minutes. Don't open the app or else it will wake the car. Once the 30 minutes were up, they had me unlock the vehicle and start a new charge. That did the trick for me. YMMV.

CaptRat

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Chevrolet Corvette, Cadillac CTS
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Customer service had me do a reset, which is left button on the steering wheel plus the hazard. Once rebooted, I turned my phone Bluetooth off and walked away with all keys for 30 minutes. Don't open the app or else it will wake the car. Once the 30 minutes were up, they had me unlock the vehicle and start a new charge. That did the trick for me. YMMV.
Hmmm, not very doable if you're not at your vehicle's location.

Many bugs can wait for a regularly scheduled OTA update (if there is such a thing as a scheduled OTA update.) But the inability to successfully schedule a charge for one's BEV seems like it needs to be addressed ASAP. Tending to one's vehicle every night at midnight when home to charge at the cheapest rate is not going to make for happy Rivian owners.....me included.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Add me to the list of folks having L2 charging issues at home (ChargePoint Home Flex, 48A). Plugged in last night and it started charging. Woke up this morning to find out it had stopped shortly after starting. Turned off my scheduled charge (my off peak hrs are 8p-6a) and restarted and it charged to 70%. Plugged in again this evening after re-enabling scheduled charging and it started charging right away as it should have. Checked on it a little while later only to find it had stopped again with indicated vehicle error. Went out and sat in the driver's seat without my phone. As soon as the car woke up, it started charging again. We'll see how this plays out.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian charger customer service got back to me and let me know that they would not be helping me out with the charger UNTIL it was ahed wired. I chose to have it wired to a nema 14-50 outlet in my garage, not hard wired. The amperage has been derated to 40 amps on the evse as well as the vehicle. I have had my R1S since February and have over 10k miles on it, with 90% of that coming from my Rivian EVSE.

So, I guess it is a heads up if anyone else hasn't hard wired the evse. They won't help if you have it installed with a plug.

Sponsored

OKRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T 10xxx
I've been struggling with the same issue. I've used this particular 14-50 mobile EVSE at 40 amps on my R1T since August 2022. Last Friday I started seeing the "Vehicle error" in the app and as soon as I get close enough for my phone to wake the truck it starts charging again. It only ever charges about an hour or 10% each time before erroring.

No problem with this charger on our Tesla and no problems thus far with other chargers on my truck. It makes zero sense but really seems like there's a bug of some sort given the number of people suddenly experiencing this same issue.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Mine went through the same thing, needed the onboard charger to be replaced.

Do other L2 chargers work with no problem or have the same issue?

underkuver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
too many toys
dont think this will solve all the issues here but had similar problems with our chargepoint charger when we moved it to another house. at first, we thought it was the scheduled timing setting as the error would occur when we plugged in after school (4:30pm). chargepoint was scheduled to commence at midnight.

later figured out we had the chargepoint app account set to the incorrect amperage. we deleted our home account, redid the setup and input the correct amperage and never had the issue again. YMMV

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
dont think this will solve all the issues here but had similar problems with our chargepoint charger when we moved it to another house. at first, we thought it was the scheduled timing setting as the error would occur when we plugged in after school (4:30pm). chargepoint was scheduled to commence at midnight.

later figured out we had the chargepoint app account set to the incorrect amperage. we deleted our home account, redid the setup and input the correct amperage and never had the issue again. YMMV
I schedule charging in the vehicle and problem persists whether enabled or not. My ChargePoint is hard wired and both vehicle and charger are correctly configured. Has been working fine for months and no obvious reason anything should have changed.

Test Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
HR
I schedule charging in the vehicle and problem persists whether enabled or not. My ChargePoint is hard wired and both vehicle and charger are correctly configured. Has been working fine for months and no obvious reason anything should have changed.
I just started having the same problem last week. I have been using my JuiceBox for several years and never had a problem charging at home. I never scheduled a charge time, just plugged in when I got home and charged to 70%. Starting last week, It would keep getting a vehicle error message soon after plugging in. I put in a ticket and was told to do a reset on the vehicle and breaker reset on the JuiceBox. I did both and tried charging again. Same result.

This is what has worked for my situation, I am also in the Dallas area and it is hot here. When I get home my vehicle is hot, so my theory was to set delayed charging until 11:00 p.m. This give the R1T 5 hours to cool down, (i know, its Texas and an un-airconditioned garage), but relatively speaking. I also put a small fan directed at the charge port. So far this week, no issues and the heat is up around 100 with the heat index even higher.

Just my experience, but so far this is working for me.
Sponsored