Sponsored

ChapULine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3
Finally got my R1S Gen 2. Overall, I'm very impressed with the vehicle and very happy with it.

I ran into a potential safety problem in the first few minutes of ownership though. Posting it here, not to shed bad light on Rivian, but to avoid potential accidents. I've sent a message to Rivian about this.

I bought the all-weather mats at the time of vehicle delivery and the employee helping with the delivery helped, very kindly, to install the mats.

We quickly got on the highway after delivery and... well... I floored the accelerator... as one does with a very powerful vehicle. The accelerator got stuck behind the mat and the car quickly accelerated unintentionally. Thankfully the break overrides the accelerator so I quickly brought the vehicle to a stop on the shoulder. We replaced the mat with the carpet one and everything was fine. Other than a moment of high stress.

So here's what happened. The Gen2, has a small bump on the floor right in front of the accelerator. The mat was correctly installed but it's not of the right size for the Gen2. The carpet mat is smaller to avoid the bump on the floor. The all-weather mat on the other hand, does not sit flush on the floor because of the bump so it's raised by an inch or two on the side of the accelerator. If one floors the accelerator, it can get stuck behind the raised portion of the mat.

For now, avoid using the All-weather mats on the driver's side.

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 2

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 1

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 3

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 6

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 5

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours mat 4

Update:

I wondered what they changed...

1000011402.png

Did you buy the mats as part of delivery or separate/after delivery? It's definitely on the employee who helped install them, they should've noticed and... pumped the brakes.
I'm guessing employees at the service center didn't know about this incompatibility. This was as part of delivery but as a separate transaction.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S ⚠️ Potential Safety Issue: Gen 2 All-Weather Floor Mats Causing Stuck Accelerator -- Check Yours 1000011402

Did you buy the mats as part of delivery or separate/after delivery? It's definitely on the employee who helped install them, they should've noticed and... pumped the brakes.

OP
OP

ChapULine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3

1000011402.png

I'm guessing employees at the service center didn't know about this incompatibility. This was as part of delivery but as a separate transaction.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Thanks for identifying why they are incompatible.

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

Wow interesting finding!

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
They should have put the Gen 2 posts (to snap the floormat in) in a different location - so it would be impossible to properly install Gen 1 floor matts in a Gen 2 vehicle. With a simple (buried) disclaimer, this is far to easy to make this mistake.

natcc99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, NSX, R2 on Reserved
Wow, glad you were able to stop and everyone is okay. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed new pants.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up to the community.

If you decide to keep the all weather mats, perhaps you can cut and trim the section that is near the accelerator pedal. Or sell them and get Gen2 mats. Cheers

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Wow, glad you were able to stop and everyone is okay. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if you needed new pants.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up to the community.

If you decide to keep the all weather mats, perhaps you can cut and trim the section that is near the accelerator pedal. Or sell them and get Gen2 mats. Cheers
Since they were part of the purchase of the truck Rivian just needs to replace them with the proper version, without any additional costs.

Sponsored

cgm9999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Lucid Air, CaddyATS-V, SRT Viper, Kawi ZX-14R
Yet another reason to get TuxMats the day of purchase ;)

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Yet another reason to get TuxMats the day of purchase ;)
Its unlikely any manufacturer has updated floor mats since gen 2 is so new. They will all likely have the same issue.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
They should have put the Gen 2 posts (to snap the floormat in) in a different location - so it would be impossible to properly install Gen 1 floor matts in a Gen 2 vehicle. With a simple (buried) disclaimer, this is far to easy to make this mistake.
Or update the all-weather mat to be cross-compatible. I'm surprised they didn't do this but keeping the posts in the same place seems to indicate that may have been the intention. Then they could have flushed out the old design prior to Gen2 launch.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Or update the all-weather mat to be cross-compatible. I'm surprised they didn't do this but keeping the posts in the same place seems to indicate that may have been the intention. Then they could have flushed out the old design prior to Gen2 launch.
That doesn’t prevent someone getting their hands on an incompatible mat and trying to make them work, though.

I think @EarlyAdptr has a very elegant solution to this problem.
Sponsored