Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My R1T reservation appears to have fallen into a black hole. Zero communication or updates.

My Lighting reservation is just the opposite. I can easily see updates by logging into my Ford Account.

Rivian R1T R1S 🥊 My F-150 Lightning Arrived! Comparison & Opinions Quick Take vs my R1T 8ECE2884-3E8C-4850-A9E9-AB91FEC7164D
Sponsored

Last edited:

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
My R1T reservation order has seemed to have fallen into a black hole. Zero communication or updates.

My Lighting reservation is just the opposite. I can easily see updates by logging into my Ford Account.

8ECE2884-3E8C-4850-A9E9-AB91FEC7164D.png
That's way better than what GM does (at least for ice vehicles). GM's solution is to contact your dealership. They don't tell you shit and refuse to give any sort of delivery estimates. Even the current rivian experience is far better.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
My R1T reservation order has seemed to have fallen into a black hole. Zero communication or updates.

8ECE2884-3E8C-4850-A9E9-AB91FEC7164D.png
That's how professionals do it. Rivian order system is amateur hour.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I know a lot of people are hoping for Rivian to follow Ford’s frunk design, but I wouldn’t hold my breath, at least not until the next gen. I would guess that adding Ford’s frunk design would cause at least two problems:
  1. Crash-worthiness could change and require more significant structural changes than just the shape of the hood.
  2. Wading depth could change because now they have a lower water entry-point for the front.

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Is the audio systems really that comparable? The Rivian is hands down the best I've ever heard. And I've had some good ones over the years - Burmester who?

BO has made decent systems before, but still never personally heard one that beats out what Rivian has. Kind of torn on this because it's my favorite thing about the Rivian. And unfortunately I won't have the BO system in the Lightning

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What's the going rate gonna be for an F150 Lightning on BAT?

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
What's the going rate gonna be for an F150 Lightning on BAT?
Would really vary a lot by config. Unlike the R1T, theres massive price difference between configs. My XLT+ was 63k, but platinum is 90k

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Is the audio systems really that comparable? The Rivian is hands down the best I've ever heard. And I've had some good ones over the years - Burmester who?

BO has made decent systems before, but still never personally heard one that beats out what Rivian has. Kind of torn on this because it's my favorite thing about the Rivian. And unfortunately I won't have the BO system in the Lightning
While I don't have a Lightning on order, I do have a Model 3 that I love and I'm debating between keeping that or the Rivian. As silly as it sounds the audio system in the Rivian has become one of the biggest arguments for me keeping it -- it's so good and audio is a major priority for me.

OP
OP
MNLightning

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes I have Vehicles

I haven't spent any time sorting out the Lightning audio, but out of the box the R1T has a much better sound to me. I run Qobuz and Tidal for music on road trips but haven't taken a road trip in either so far. I will say the wind leaks/noise from the R1T is annoying at highway speeds if you are trying to pay attention the the music.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

These are just my "Opinions"
  1. Kind of like trying to pick which kid you like more. Both have their Pro's and Con's
  2. Ride - Lighting. Actually it's not that close from a comfort basis
  3. Ride - R1T. Actually it's not that close from a Sporty/Handling basis/feel
  4. Interior - Lightning. I just like the APPLE CAR Play and XM Radio, Seats, Cup Holders, Fold Down Spot for My Laptop and more. For me the R1T might be more contemporary but it's less usable for my purposes.
  5. Exterior - R1T. Looks more futuristic
  6. Size - Personal preference.... I'd tip toward the R1T as for trailering or as someone said a "Snowplow" I don't think either is a good choice for me. But for parking and maneuverability the R1T has the edge.
  7. Frunk - Lightning. Mostly because of the lower threshold.
  8. Power Supplies - Lightning both inside and outside the cab. 230v USB, charging etc...
  9. Performance - R1T. Not even close. The Lighting is quick, but the RT1 is that and fast.
  10. Off Road - R1T. Haven't done it and probably won't ever do what some here would consider a real off road work out.
  11. Less Road Noise Wind Noise - Win-Lightning. By a fair margin, some of which might be because of the suspension on the Ford.
  12. Which one to Keep----- I'll decide over the next week or so. I was offered $118,000 for the R1T and in spite of the plusses and minuses I'm not sure I want to part with it.
So depending on the daily use and your preferences either one can be a winner, but it doesn't make the other a loser.

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 1.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 4.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 2.jpeg

Rivian R1T vs Ford F150 Lightning comparison review by owner 3.jpeg

F150 Lightning vs Rivian R1T review comparison.jpg
Thank you for sharing and congrats on even being in a position to get to chose your own adventure!

Did you end up paying additional dealer markup on your Lightening? One of the things swaying my decision, is I don't want to go to jail for mauling my Ford dealer when he tries to double the price of my pre-order. :swear:

I can't stand the games dealerships are playing with "ADM" and would be motivated to support RIVIAN for that reason.

Sponsored

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
If only I had known how good the Lightning was going to be I would have reserved one. I would have flipped the R1T and gotten a Lightning Pro for almost nothing. The window to make $40-50k on an R1T flip is rapidly shrinking, so I may completely bail on the R1T, and get in line for a 2023 Lightning. As the economy worsens, I have a feeling that opportunities which favor the buyer will present themselves.
The Lightning Pro is not available to the general public. It has been reserved for fleet sales. The cheapest you will get away with if you want the
If only I had known how good the Lightning was going to be I would have reserved one. I would have flipped the R1T and gotten a Lightning Pro for almost nothing. The window to make $40-50k on an R1T flip is rapidly shrinking, so I may completely bail on the R1T, and get in line for a 2023 Lightning. As the economy worsens, I have a feeling that opportunities which favor the buyer will present themselves.
The Lightning Pro is not available to the general public. It has been reserved for fleet sales. The cheapest you will get away with if you want the Extended Range battery is the XLT which will set you back $62K or more.

R_1_T

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2&4-wheeled
The Lightning Pro is not available to the general public. It has been reserved for fleet sales. The cheapest you will get away with if you want the Extended Range battery is the XLT which will set you back $62K or more.
Incorrect.

Standard battery version (230 mile) is available to the public/non-fleet buyers. The extended range version (320 miles) is limited to fleet sales only.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

No ADM small family dealership in Madella MN.
Major, and I mean, major props to them. That sounds like a Ford dealer I would enjoy doing business with. Most around my neck of the woods aren't.

FrankieJ

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and Mercedes GLE 53 AMG
Incorrect.

Standard battery version (230 mile) is available to the public/non-fleet buyers. The extended range version (320 miles) is limited to fleet sales only.
Good luck getting one
Sponsored