Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Ford is rumored to be build only 500-1,000 Pro models for 2022. They got tons of media attention when they announced the $40k Pro model.
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Ford is rumored to be build only 500-1,000 Pro models for 2022. They got tons of media attention when they announced the $40k Pro model.
And what they're building for 22 is quickly approaching "built" status. It's going to be interesting to see the Pro availability, and the prices across the line, when 2023 ordering opens this summer.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Rumored 12k - 15k Lightnings for 2022 model year. Demand for the truck is off the charts. I predict a $5k price increase for 2023 models.

Blaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55
The Lightning Pro is not available to the general public. It has been reserved for fleet sales. The cheapest you will get away with if you want the Extended Range battery is the XLT which will set you back $62K or more.
As someone else said, the Pro SR is theoretically available to retail buyers. The wait list is probably several years long, but retail buyers will be getting Pros.

As far as the Extended Range battery, the cheapest Lightning with the Extended Range battery is $10k more than that. It's ~$73k, because Ford forces XLT buyers to select a ~$10k option package in order to be allowed to option the big battery. So, it's ~$20k worth of options on top of the base $53k XLT.

bgoleman

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt, Jeep
Nice write-up. It is so cool to have such great choices! Lucky you to have both sitting in your driveway! :rock:

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Great write-up! Love the "side by side" photos. If you have a chance, could you do a couple of the interiors, as well? 🙂

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Thank you for the comparison and information. I think Ford has set the benchmark for eTrucks, everythink else right now is also-ran.

srazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y and R1T
Rumored 12k - 15k Lightnings for 2022 model year. Demand for the truck is off the charts. I predict a $5k price increase for 2023 models.
+10k dealer markup 🙄

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
@MNLightning just curious if you've made a decision yet on which one you are going to keep.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

That's way better than what GM does (at least for ice vehicles). GM's solution is to contact your dealership. They don't tell you shit and refuse to give any sort of delivery estimates. Even the current rivian experience is far better.
I have a reservation for a Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition. Last I heard they were “way ahead of schedule” and were expecting deliveries to begin in spring 2022. I haven’t heard anything about a new timeline or heard of any deliveries yet. I’ve heard more from Rivian, and I think I placed both reservations within weeks of each other (Sep 2021).

Sponsored

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer
Is the audio systems really that comparable? The Rivian is hands down the best I've ever heard. And I've had some good ones over the years - Burmester who?

BO has made decent systems before, but still never personally heard one that beats out what Rivian has. Kind of torn on this because it's my favorite thing about the Rivian. And unfortunately I won't have the BO system in the Lightning
How do you play the audio you used to formulate this opinion? Spotify? Bluetooth Streaming?

time

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
How do you play the audio you used to formulate this opinion? Spotify? Bluetooth Streaming?
With the Rivian? Most often through Bluetooth playing music stored on my phone. I'm not really a streaming app person. Though I've tried Tune In. Quality isn't there on most channels. I will occasionally stream XM via my phone. I read the bitrate isn't as high as satellite feed, though the same channels I listen to do still sound 10x better in the Rivian compared to the real XM hardware in my BMW w/ Harman Kardon. Can't really say a thing nice about the HK at all

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Thank you for the comparison and information. I think Ford has set the benchmark for eTrucks, everythink else right now is also-ran.
No way, man. Their battery cooling is WAY subpar, hence their rather poor 150kW charging limitation. Same with the Mach-E. Trying to do a few 0-60 runs overheats the battery and restricts performance. Ford needs to improve battery cooling big-time before you can say they've truly nailed it. While the Chevy is earlier on in the process, it looks like a far better option than the F-150. They also won't have awful bundles which force you into the expensive trims if you want the larger battery option. That said, everything I see still tells me the Rivian is the best truck. But if you want full-size, then that's more objective and you can't really argue between the two. Personally I hate driving full size trucks.

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I truly think the wind noise is a hit-or-miss situation with Rivian. Mine is really quiet, even at high speeds.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Yeah, it pretty much seems to me at least Ford's huge interior, and better infotainment system vs Rivian being easier to drive, park, and more frequent updates.
I prefer Rivian's infotainment over the MME/Lightning Sync 4 or whatever its called personally. Some of that is assuming that some things will be added to the Rivian, and some is that I just don't love how the Ford stuff looks or is organized.
Thanks for the comparison. I think that’s a pretty reasonable assessment of the trucks.

Man, I really feel like I screwed up it cancelling my Lightning order. I feel like the Rivian is the better truck for me but I need a truck and I probably would have had a Lightning by now if I had stayed the course.

It‘s the biggest reason I’m so pissed with @Rivian and the BS delivery windows they gave us in December.
For what it's worth, I don't have mine yet, and Ford has missed their production schedule for me per their website. So don't fret.

My R1T reservation appears to have fallen into a black hole. Zero communication or updates.

My Lighting reservation is just the opposite. I can easily see updates by logging into my Ford Account.

8ECE2884-3E8C-4850-A9E9-AB91FEC7164D.png
Yeah, I wish Rivian were able to have this as well. At least I know my Lightning that was supposed to be built last week hasn't been. No word from Ford about that delay though.
Sponsored