Sponsored

Electric Rivilution

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D
Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings was published today...

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...riving-assistance-systems-review-a2103632203/

January 25, 2023

How We Rated the Systems
The 12 active driving assistance systems we tested were put through their paces around the track at our 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut and on a 50-mile loop on public roads between September and December 2022. Each system was rated for its performance in 40 separate tests, such as steering the car, controlling the speed, and keeping the driver safe and engaged with the act of driving. Additional features such as automatic lane changes or reacting for traffic lights were not evaluated in this test.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Driver+ places #8 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-03-am-jpg-jpg-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Driver+ places #8 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-19-am-jpg-jpg-

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Driver+ places #8 in Consumer Reports 2023 Driver Assistance Rankings screenshot-2023-01-25-at-8-55-27-am-jpg-jpg-
Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Like another CR report regarding Ford’s BlueCruise, the “perceived” safety of the system and the active engagement of the driver are disproportionately weighed. On the Mach E, BlueCruise has this ridiculous “eye nanny” that is CONSTANTLY triggered every time you take a drink or drive with your hands actually ON THE WHEEL but in a location that blocks the sensor. Basically, if you drive with one hand on the top of the wheel, the system will brake check you - and those behind you - because the steering wheel apparently doesn’t have a sensor. And even when BlueCruise isn’t active, since it’s only available on select divided highways, it still does that same nonsense. It actually wants you to take your hand OFF the wheel so the horrifically-placed eye sensor can see your eyes. Yeah, you have to take your hands off the steering wheel, even when handsfree isn’t available, to get the eye nanny to not brake-check the cars behind you…and that’s a 9/10 for “driver engagement.” Yeah, sure.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Also surprising the names that are even worse than Rivian. Volvo/ polestar, Honda, Hyundai/ Kia.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Also surprising the names that are even worse than Rivian. Volvo/ polestar, Honda, Hyundai/ Kia.
I don't tend to use the Polestar's steering assist when we are traveling but I will use driver+ occasionally. There are some things I like the Polestar one for better but it isn't as good about lane centering and correcting drift.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My opinion is that Kia EV6 ADAS beat Driver+ but maybe they tested an older Kia system?

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm a little surprised BlueCruise scored so high. Admittedly, I don't have much time with it, but I wasn't a fan of how it communicated that the driver should take over. It was just a sound and much too quiet and also not long enough between the alert and the system just disconnecting. It was also very particular about where in the lane it wanted to be positioned and the vehicle and I disagreed on where that should be. Otherwise, it wasn't bad.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
My opinion is that Kia EV6 ADAS beat Driver+ but maybe they tested an older Kia system?
That would make sense. I know people who drive both the EV6 and the Ioniq 5 and they love ADAS. I personally haven’t tried either so I can’t comment.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

That would make sense. I know people who drive both the EV6 and the Ioniq 5 and they love ADAS. I personally haven’t tried either so I can’t comment.
Yeah it is really good.
- You can use it on any highway as long as it can see the lines.
- It does auto lane changes on mapped highways
- It will automate speed limit changes and allows an offset

3 things I would love to see in Driver+

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Another case where CR suggestion is polar opposite of what I would want. The last thing I need is a nanny asking me to keep eyes on the road.
I still find this report useful that I can safely pick the bottom of the list and pretty confident that it will turn up to be the best.

Sponsored

rraj2k81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S LR
LOL. CR is sure protecting those Union jobs !

Despite having my own criticism about AP, no way is Tesla AP that limited for this low a score.

The Tesla AP score alone makes me question what they actually tested and who did the testing.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The Volvo system is far superior to Rivian, at this time, imo.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
I'm a little surprised BlueCruise scored so high. Admittedly, I don't have much time with it, but I wasn't a fan of how it communicated that the driver should take over. It was just a sound and much too quiet and also not long enough between the alert and the system just disconnecting. It was also very particular about where in the lane it wanted to be positioned and the vehicle and I disagreed on where that should be. Otherwise, it wasn't bad.
When it works as it should, it’s really good. When you’re in stop and go traffic during rush hour on the highway, it’s great. That eye nanny in the Mach E just ruins it for me though. The sensor in the F-150 is placed much better, so perhaps that was the test vehicle CR used.

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The Volvo system is far superior to Rivian, at this time, imo.
Really? I find Volvos system relatively poor, especially in communicating engagement status. I also don’t like that it throws a temper tantrum and turns off if you override it too long while passing. The system in my I-pace is better and I am hoping the Rivian can at least hit that admittedly low bar.