12V Bricked Rivian - How long to expect? Atlanta SC - EDIT: HV Battery replaced

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Jeep Wrangler, C6 Corvette Z06, R1S
My Rivian was bricked last week and I had a service appointment for last Thursday. There was a mix up with the tow and they didn't even realize they had it until I called and they looked for it. So once they found it, they called me (Thursday) and told me that they would get to it Monday. Well it still doesn't look as if anything has been done. I know the service centers are busy now but I figured this would be relatively high priority since they did tell me I had an appointment last week.

Anyone have any data points or anything to suggest when I might get it back?

Edit:
Finally got my Rivian back yesterday. They tell me the HV battery was at fault and replaced that battery and that the 12v fine. I thought it was the 12v because I thought I remember getting a warning about the LV battery. Anyway, from time of appointment, it took 18 days to fix, but they also told me that they didn't have the battery on hand, so my wait time may not be typical.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
Sorry for your problem. Can't help you but do you have 1 or 2 12 volt batteries? I heard they were going to just one. Can anyone else confirm?

howler99

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX 350
Occupation
Analyst
Clubs

My Rivian was bricked last week and I had a service appointment for last Thursday. There was a mix up with the tow and they didn't even realize they had it until I called and they looked for it. So once they found it, they called me (Thursday) and told me that they would get to it Monday. Well it still doesn't look as if anything has been done. I know the service centers are busy now but I figured this would be relatively high priority since they did tell me I had an appointment last week.

I had a similar experience with the Atlanta service center for a recall. I finally contacted my guide, and things started to happen. She said she doesn't have much pull with the service center, so maybe the right people got involved at about the same time.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I don't see any other threads from you on this topic, but just idly curious - normally when the 12V batteries go bad they can send a mobile tech to replace. Did they not give you that option?

Also, with the most recent sw update there's supposed to be a warning prior to 12V failure. Did you get any warnings?

What's your VIN range / age of truck?

OP
OP
chandlerr85

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't see any other threads from you on this topic, but just idly curious - normally when the 12V batteries go bad they can send a mobile tech to replace. Did they not give you that option?

Also, with the most recent sw update there's supposed to be a warning prior to 12V failure. Did you get any warnings?

What's your VIN range / age of truck?
No mobile service option here yet that I know of.

No warnings. 11xxx VIN, 3 months old.

Sponsored

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I’m still waiting on my Rivian but I keep seeing posts about their vehicles being bricked and it’s worrying me a bit. Can someone please explain to me what “bricking” is and why does it keep happening to these vehicles? Appreciate it.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I’m still waiting on my Rivian but I keep seeing posts about their vehicles being bricked and it’s worrying me a bit. Can someone please explain to me what “bricking” is and why does it keep happening to these vehicles? Appreciate it.
In this context it's that the 12v battery is completely drained (or to the point the vehicle is not operable). There are a few failures that seem to be common to these events:
1. A hardware failure that prevents the 12v from properly charging.
2. A software fault that has the same effect.
3. User error leaving the vehicle in a perpetual wake state. Leaving seatbelts latched with no occupant seems to be the most common form of this failure type.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

In this context it's that the 12v battery is completely drained (or to the point the vehicle is not operable). There are a few failures that seem to be common to these events:
1. A hardware failure that prevents the 12v from properly charging.
2. A software fault that has the same effect.
3. User error leaving the vehicle in a perpetual wake state. Leaving seatbelts latched with no occupant seems to be the most common form of this failure type.
Ah ok thanks for clearing that up for me makes sense!

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

All service centers are slammed since they are pushing out so many vehicles and don't have enough SCs and technicians to handle it. Cars are currently sit at the lots for days to weeks before even get pull in to the bay for services. My last service center appt 2 months ago, my car sat for 14 days. This time, i'm currently at 6 days and still there.

Sponsored

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

My R1S has been at the Atlanta SC for 2 weeks and 4 days at this point due to an inverter failure mechanically bricking it. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-suspected-drive-unit-inverter-failure.19136/

My vehicle was diagnosed and new parts arrived after two weeks, and has been receiving both mechanical and body damage repairs (that they caused on-site) since. I have no idea when it will be done, but I'm hoping I will get an update this week.

OP
OP
chandlerr85

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My R1S has been at the Atlanta SC for 2 weeks and 4 days at this point due to an inverter failure mechanically bricking it. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-suspected-drive-unit-inverter-failure.19136/

My vehicle was diagnosed and new parts arrived after two weeks, and has been receiving both mechanical and body damage repairs (that they caused on-site) since. I have no idea when it will be done, but I'm hoping I will get an update this week.
mine has been there 2 weeks now. my appointment was a week and a half ago technically and they still haven't even started working on it.

SouthernLCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S and 2024 R1T
Clubs

I live around the corner from the Atlanta SC. Bricked and had to be yanked out of my garage. No offer of mobile tech. First time this happened (yes, this was not the first time) they towed and had it looked at same day. Picked it up that evening. Second time nothing. Really frustrating you can't speak cannot get anyone on the phone. Didnt hear anything for a week. So I just went by, very unhappy. It was as just sitting in the parking lot. I guess that lit the fire. Picked it up later that afternoon. Total BS.

OP
OP
chandlerr85

chandlerr85

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I live around the corner from the Atlanta SC. Bricked and had to be yanked out of my garage. No offer of mobile tech. First time this happened (yes, this was not the first time) they towed and had it looked at same day. Picked it up that evening. Second time nothing. Really frustrating you can't speak cannot get anyone on the phone. Didnt hear anything for a week. So I just went by, very unhappy. It was as just sitting in the parking lot. I guess that lit the fire. Picked it up later that afternoon. Total BS.
how long ago was this? I'm quickly starting to sour on the ownership experience. I was prepared to go a ways for the service center being in NC, but I don't think I had ever prepared myself to be without the Rivian for this long with seemingly no progress being made on what should be a relatively simple issue, this sucks.

SouthernLCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S and 2024 R1T
Clubs

about 2 weeks. Dropped my car off 2 days ago for a squeaky steering wheel and camp speaker not charging. Crickets. Nothing from them. I convinced my self that I am a science project, so I am a little more philosophical about it. But having said that, service is total BS.
Sponsored