Sponsored

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

In Sedona with my R1T this weekend. Was going to take an R1S but some folks backed out and we didn’t need the extra seats, so R1T it was.

Did Solider’s pass previously. Nice little trail. It was fun in the mud. Vultee Arch is a bit crowded in the first portion but farther back in was much less crowded. It’s Spring Break so it’s a bit busier up here than I prefer. Still a nice weekend.

I have to admit, seeing just how easy the R1 makes off-roading (It’s seriously like a cheat code), it has me questioning buying an R2. There were a couple spots on the trail where 9.8” clearance may not have been enough - and the R1’s built-in air compressor is just so convenient after airing down.

Soldier’s Pass:
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1601
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1607
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1609
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1615

Vultee Arch:
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1627
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1637
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1647
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1648
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1651
Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_3860
Sponsored

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

In Sedona with my R1T this weekend. Was going to take an R1S but some folks backed out and we didn’t need the extra seats, so R1T it was.

Did Solider’s pass previously. Nice little trail. It was fun in the mud. Vultee Arch is a bit crowded in the first portion but farther back in was much less crowded. It’s Spring Break so it’s a bit busier up here than I prefer. Still a nice weekend.

I have to admit, seeing just how easy the R1 makes off-roading (It’s seriously like a cheat code), it has me questioning buying an R2. There were a couple spots on the trail where 9.8” clearance may not have been enough - and the R1’s built-in air compressor is just so convenient after airing down.

Soldier’s Pass:
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg
IMG_1609.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg

Vultee Arch:
IMG_1627.jpeg
IMG_1637.jpeg
IMG_1647.jpeg
IMG_1648.jpeg
IMG_1651.jpeg
IMG_3860.jpeg
Gorgeous pics. I'm an off-roading novice, so would my DP R1S struggle doing the same pass you did?

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Well timed post. I'm driving to Sedona from Minnesota in a few days. What is your thoughts on driving these trails with the Rivian road tires?

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Gorgeous pics. I'm an off-roading novice, so would my DP R1S struggle doing the same pass you did?
I assume you meant "DM"?

No, your DM will not struggle anymore than a QM will off-roading; in fact, in some areas it will outperform it. With it's excellent traction control and differentials, you don't even have to wonder or worry about which "mode" to put it in. Point your vehicle where you want it to go, make sure your height adjustment is correct to clear any obstacles, and let the vehicle figure out the traction side of things.
😎👍

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Well timed post. I'm driving to Sedona from Minnesota in a few days. What is your thoughts on driving these trails with the Rivian road tires?
I have been on trails in the Sedona area - there was one R1 in our group with 21s or 22s - he had no trouble doing everything the rest of us did. If it was really rainy/muddy, that might make a difference.

Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

You have three Rivians?!? Damn, dude…. 😍

Also, nice pics! I hope to make it out there sometime.

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

I assume you meant "DM"?

No, your DM will not struggle anymore than a QM will off-roading; in fact, in some areas it will outperform it. With it's excellent traction control and differentials, you don't even have to wonder or worry about which "mode" to put it in. Point your vehicle where you want it to go, make sure your height adjustment is correct to clear any obstacles, and let the vehicle figure out the traction side of things.
😎👍
I meant Dual Motor Performance (DP or DMP?). That probably doesn't matter 😁.

Thank you. That's so awesome and I'm going to go traveling when the weather breaks in northern Wisconsin.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
Stunning scenery! Great to see an R1T doing what it was designed for. Thanks for sharing.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Beautiful pictures! R1 seems to be a much more premium interior, other than that likely the third row and quad motor option are the only big differentiators. I currently have a 4runner and just reserved my R2, I was able to just now see a R1S next to my 4runner for scale and it was larger in almost every way so the R2 was a no brainer for me because the 4runner has more space than I need already.
Yea the R1S is basically full size Land Cruiser dimensions. Not huge but definitely not as maneuverable on the trail as something 4runner sized. Then again, a Tacoma is pretty long but still narrow.

Great pics on the post! Reminds me of Tuweep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

One of these days you’ll need to invite us ◡̈
Yeah, if I hadn't had this trip planned I would have joined the Four Peak run! Hope that went well. One of these days I'll meet up with you guys!

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

You'll have no problem at all. Just air down. I personally used off-road, highest settings. Never needed Rock Crawl Mode.

You need a permit at Soldier's Pass (only $6) and there are a couple of tight turns but nothing you can't handle.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not in the slightest.

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Found one more picture I wanted to post:

Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1640

I have to say, cleaning up caked on mud was rather miserable. I think I spent 2-1/2 to 3 hours cleaning up the truck - including the muddy rubber mats. There was mud all along the underbody and in the suspension. Had to bust out my pressure washer.

Well worth it, though!

Rivian R1T R1S 3/2024 Sedona - Soldier’s Pass and Vultee Arch Trails in R1T IMG_1665

OP
OP
shrink

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

One more note - I'm sorry to report TrailsOffRoad CarPlay integration with the EV Sportline CarPlay display was completely useless.

I'm not sure if it's an issue on with the app's CarPlay integration or poor compatibility with the EVSportline screen, but nothing worked. I could not move the TrailsOffRoad map on the CarPlay display effectively. Touch input was lagging and inconsistent. Follow mode didn't work. It was just garbage.

I actually ended up unplugging the EVSportline display to try to use the vehicle hot spot.
Sponsored