First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So I was playing with ABRP to try and fit their reference efficiency at 65 mph to match Kyle's range test. It looks like ABRP is assuming about 122kwh usable.

To achieve 289 miles of range at 70 mph I had to use a reference consumption of 2.75 mi/kwh @ 65 mph.

Last I checked, the charging curve they have is too slow at the moment. I plan to prod them about it whenever Rivian issues some fixes for thermal management. For now, it seems better to . assume it charges slower than not. If you're trying to estimate drive times though just be cognizant of this, and consider that you might be better off doing the math yourself.

Rivian R1T R1S ABRP Reference Consumption 1651123874883

Rivian R1T R1S ABRP Reference Consumption 1651123890037
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
BTW, you can use a wireless ODB2 dongle to connect to ABRP and collect realtime efficiency values for your own vehicle/driving style. I ran it in my MME for a few weeks to get better data for trip planning. Still doesn't help with the charging curve inaccuracy but frankly I am more concerned with planning the appropriate stops than the estimated charge time.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
ABRP currently assumes 474 Wh/mi consumption at 65 mph for the Large R1T. You can set that to anything you like, however.

As for charging speed it seems to assume 0.95C to 1C depending on the SoC span covered in the charging session. This has to be a WAG as there is no way it can possibly know what charge curve the truck will ask for during a particular charging session.

You can ask it to use real time weather data along the route which would tweak the consumption and, I suppose, but do not know this to be the case, the C rate. It has topo data and so can adjust consumption for grade. Nevertheless it can never be more than a planning tool

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

BTW, you can use a wireless ODB2 dongle to connect to ABRP and collect realtime efficiency values for your own vehicle/driving style. I ran it in my MME for a few weeks to get better data for trip planning. Still doesn't help with the charging curve inaccuracy but frankly I am more concerned with planning the appropriate stops than the estimated charge time.
From Kyle's original reviews it sounds like there isn't any OBD data available at the moment. It would be nice if that changed, but who knows.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

It has topo data and so can adjust consumption for grade. Nevertheless it can never be more than a planning tool
Living in the land of mountains, the terrain data has been invaluable with a short range EV. I took a trip from Denver-ish to Estes Park, CO (in the mountains) and ABRP was within 2% of my arrival SoC in the more conservative sense than I actually got. And I was driving pretty spiritedly as well. That trip alone gave me reasonable confidence in its data for the MINI.

Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
From Kyle's original reviews it sounds like there isn't any OBD data available at the moment. It would be nice if that changed, but who knows.
Doh! I forgot about that little tidbit.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I used Kyle's 2.33 numbers for my "simulations". Based on this I am confident I can change to the large pack. I know his numbers were at 70, not 65, but I like to have that little bit of extra padding. Also even with the conservative charging curves, the difference in even my longest trips (8-9 hr drive time) was only about 30 minutes for max to large, definitely not worth the $10k, at least to me. Towing is where things get dicey, but again, not that much better with max pack for my normal tows based on the numbers Kyle was seeing as well (using 1.05 mi/kWh, I think that was the number he had for the enclosed trailer test, again at 70 not 65).

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I used Kyle's 2.33 numbers for my "simulations". Based on this I am confident I can change to the large pack. I know his numbers were at 70, not 65, but I like to have that little bit of extra padding. Also even with the conservative charging curves, the difference in even my longest trips (8-9 hr drive time) was only about 30 minutes for max to large, definitely not worth the $10k, at least to me. Towing is where things get dicey, but again, not that much better with max pack for my normal tows based on the numbers Kyle was seeing as well (using 1.05 mi/kWh, I think that was the number he had for the enclosed trailer test, again at 70 not 65).
Was the 2.33 using his 22"? I'm assuming 21 would be closer to 2.5?

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Was the 2.33 using his 22"? I'm assuming 21 would be closer to 2.5?
That was the truck with 20” ATs that he first tested. I have found that with my 21” using 3.1 has gotten me most accurate to my actual consumption (matching battery % at end of each leg of the trip).

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
That was the truck with 20” ATs that he first tested. I have found that with my 21” using 3.1 has gotten me most accurate to my actual consumption (matching battery % at end of each leg of the trip).
Whoa that's crazy high! 390 miles per charge!

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
s
Whoa that's crazy high! 390 miles per charge!
No, the value in ABRP is the value they have for 65 mph. The values we've discussed on the thread are intended to adjust thar value to fit what we have seen for typically higher speeds.

For what its worth, Abrp seems to think the R1T is a bit more sensitive to speed than I have seen.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
s
No, the value in ABRP is the value they have for 65 mph. The values we've discussed on the thread are intended to adjust thar value to fit what we have seen for typically higher speeds.

For what its worth, Abrp seems to think the R1T is a bit more sensitive to speed than I have seen.
Gotcha, thanks!

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
For those that find this thread later I have the 21" wheels high elevation and find 2.9 mi/kwh with 120% reference speed to fit my driving needs so far. Granted it's cold weather now and have only tested this for <500 miles, but so far so good.

I have noticed though that going down hill abrp underestimated regen

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Out of curiosity, is the ABRP predicted charge time fairly accurate on the R1T, or is it assuming max power throughout at whatever the charger/Rivian is capable of with no regard for charging curve?

It's quoting 10-99% SOC in 51 minutes on a Quad Large

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Out of curiosity, is the ABRP predicted charge time fairly accurate on the R1T, or is it assuming max power throughout at whatever the charger/Rivian is capable of with no regard for charging curve?

It's quoting 10-99% SOC in 51 minutes on a Quad Large
It's just wrong across the board as far as I remember.
10 to 80 is generally about 45 minutes. 100% is well over an hour.
Sponsored