Sponsored

Am I missing something…? 100% charge only giving me 291 miles range

e4gaa1104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S Tesla Model 3 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Clubs

Charged my quad motor large pack R1S to 100% for the first time. Have a long drive today. I was assuming I’d be showing 314 miles. But 100% is only giving me 291. Charge at home in the garage and internal garage temp was 54f.

Rivian R1T R1S Am I missing something…? 100% charge only giving me 291 miles range IMG_1188
Sponsored

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Configurator is showing R1S, large pack, quad motor with 22' brights having 303 mile range. So maybe it has adjusted some for degradation/ less than expected efficiency. How much more does conserve get you to?

OP
OP
e4gaa1104

e4gaa1104

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S Tesla Model 3 Jeep Wrangler 4XE
Clubs

Configurator is showing R1S, large pack, quad motor with 22' brights having 303 mile range. So maybe it has adjusted some for degradation/ less than expected efficiency. How much more does conserve get you to?
I forgot the 22s would impact it.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

That's correct for your config. The EPA number is based on the combination of Sport and Conserve mode, so the estimate for All-purpose mode will be slightly different.

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, R1S QM, MY DM, Zero SZF, Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Charged my quad motor large pack R1S to 100% for the first time. Have a long drive today. I was assuming I’d be showing 314 miles. But 100% is only giving me 291. Charge at home in the garage and internal garage temp was 54f.

IMG_1188.png
Switch the mode to conserve and it will adjust the mileage :like:

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

It's also based on driving. Think about a gas vehicle that you fill up. If you have been driving around the city or town, not getting great mileage, idling a lot you will show a full tank of gas giving you 270 miles of range or something. If you have been driving on the highway the same full tank of gas might show you have 300 miles of range.

If you were to charge the Rivian and drive up hill for a whole segment of driving it would show a lower max range with the charge, if you were to drive downhill for a whole segment it would show a higher than usual range.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Its because NJ has figured out how to tax the range of EVs so you're seeing the net range... :)

We're in CA we're taxed to death too... My R1S/22" shows the same range in AP. Just change to Conserve mode as everyone has mentioned and you'll likely never actually get that range, unless you drive on only flat topology and never exceed 65mph, or accelerate quickly.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Switch it to conserve to see all the extra miles
This highlights the pointlessness of estimating range in the absence of routing and ambient condition data....

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Just like the trip computer and distance-to-empty displays in ICE vehicles, it's calculated based on your driving history, formulated in context of test data and calibrations done by the manufacturer (and certified by EPA). This is also why if you change your wheel/tire specs (even if same size as stock), you stand to make estimates less accurate—because you've changed an expected constant, in the mathematical formula, into a variable the software isn't aware of.

Go to the energy/charging screen and tap on the rectangular button just below current range figure. You will be presented a pop-up screen (20" AT example) showing estimated max range under various driving modes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
FWIW I get 335 conserve, 313 AP - quad/22's.....

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I don't pay much attention to range estimation. Its just a data point. I care more about efficiency since I already know how much usable energy is in the pack. A large pack has about 131 kwh usable so if your averaging 2 mi per kwh (do not use the last 15 minutes display) then your range is 262 miles if you run it from 100% to 0%. I always keep a 10% buffer when on road trips so I figure on 90% of that. About 236 miles. Now, in conserve I do pretty well in mild temps I can easily do 2.6 mi per kwh. That's 341 miles or 307 miles if I keep 10% on the bottom.

I use the ABRP app though mostly to plan my trips so I don't have to do too much math. but it can be done pretty easily while on the road if I am concerned about range.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

2 month newbie with a Quad Adventure R1S with 20 inch ATs and the most I get in all purpose mode is 275 miles at 100%. I have noticed that when it maps out a route with stations, it is very very conservative (erroring on the safe side) and lists say 35 miles of range at a station. As the trip progresses, it creates more and lists a higher range for that station….say after 150-200 miles, it ends up at 70 miles. I am just guessing the calculation has been designed to under promise and over deliver….but again I have only done one road trip so far. JB

ThisIsMyHandle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LS FE 22 Dark, Kia EV6 AWD GT-Line
35 miles of range at a station. As the trip progresses, it creates more and lists a higher range for that station….say after 150-200 miles, it ends up at 70 mile
This has been a pet peeve of mine.- they never match unless at 100. So I finish a charge, it says I have 250 mile range on the screen behind the wheel. But then on the Nav screen it says my next stop is 200 miles away and I will arrive with 0 range. Yes this updates but not quickly. I don't understand why the Nav isn't pulling from the vehicles miles remaining as it is much more accurate than the GPS.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

The car does not and currently cannot know enough to give accurate range estimates. The temperature, wind, and most of all your driving speed can change your range by +-50 miles or more. Unforunately at this point for EVs you're better off learning a bit about how range works and not trusting the car on a longer trip.
Sponsored