Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

It's not fear mongering. There is a reason than Pin-to-Drive exists; there is a need. Rivians are not inherently more secure than any other vehicle modern out there, there simply aren't as many of them on the road to steal. It's just a matter of time before it happens (if it hasn't already), and Pin-to-Drive is a relatively low-lift solution to a problem that does exist.
A vehicle, that by all accounts, is completely connected 100% of the time to the cloud, is trackable and monitored, and able to be stopped by Rivian, needs MORE security?

Yes, you're fear mongering.

As has been pointed out in this thread alone. Not only is it not verily easy to potentially hijack a Rivian without some sophisticated tools (how many criminals with EE/RF degrees do you know?), but even if it were, it's albeit useless as a market will not exist without so much risk that it's not worthwhile to thieves.

In the extreme EDGE cases that one of these vehicles is stolen (which will not be the 'norm') that's what insurance is for.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
A vehicle, that by all accounts, is completely connected 100% of the time to the cloud, is trackable and monitored, and able to be stopped by Rivian, needs MORE security?

Yes, you're fear mongering.

As has been pointed out in this thread alone. Not only is it not verily easy to potentially hijack a Rivian without some sophisticated tools (how many criminals with EE/RF degrees do you know?), but even if it were, it's albeit useless as a market will not exist without so much risk that it's not worthwhile to thieves.

In the extreme EDGE cases that one of these vehicles is stolen (which will not be the 'norm') that's what insurance is for.
Rivian R1T R1S Anti-Theft device 1713450885296-ho

OP
OP

Soosh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Rivians are pretty heavy in the software arena. Iā€™m sure some criminal genius will find a way to hack it and clone a fob, but that usually requires a proximity link to a fob in use to clone. Since most of us use our phones, it is less likely a criminal would be able to get access to a fob. The phones use encryption and need to handshake with the car to access. OTA exploit of an incripted signal is far less likely than a fob sending a signal that could be captured and duplicated.

Did that sound smart? I hope so, because I really donā€™t know what the F Iā€™m talking aboutšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Now my car is going to get stolenā€¦

Appreciate the response. Thank you :)

OP
OP

Soosh

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
D'oh, you're totally right!

I forgot all of those news articles that just came out about all of the stolen Rivians!

I think this is textbook fearmongering. Compared to every other vehicle on the road, these vehicles are, in totality, statistically insignificant in terms of risk from theft.
Now questions are fear mongering? The sky is not falling, just trying to be proactive brother.

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
When I walk away from my R1T, I sometimes think "is this gonna be here when I get back?" I keep seeing how this car or that car (currently Camaros) are having their access means being cloned by criminals. Besides The Club is there an Anti-Theft device on the market that is being used by other Rivian owners?
Have you considered a Pit Bull or a Mastiff?

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

Have you considered a Pit Bull or a Mastiff?
Ah, beat me to my response.

We just need Gary sitting up top.

Oh wait, back seat is better. He would probably snap the glass roof. šŸ¤”

On the serious side of this topic, I have been thinking more about this issue in the past few months, especially because of DCā€™s spike in carjackings. Iā€™m now guessing the truck and my other vehicles are more likely to be carjacked than someone trying to steal them while no one is looking.

eskudo12791

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Because it's seriously overkill and completely unnecessary?
Pin to drive would be amazing for me. I have to leave my phone in a phone box everyday at work that does not lock. I enjoy to use phone as key but dont want to hassle with turning off bluetooth, leaving my phone in the truck then using the card key.

Sponsored

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just here to add that the club isn't really a big deterrent either.

The club may be a hardened steel lock, but the steering wheel is must softer to cut through. In either case, a 20v cordless sawzall or angle grinder with carbide blades are through it in about 30 seconds.

Vehicles have pretty much entered the realm of the high end bicycle community, if someone really wants it they are going to get it. Just don't make it easy, leave it in unsecured areas, etc.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
Rivians are pretty heavy in the software arena. Iā€™m sure some criminal genius will find a way to hack it and clone a fob, but that usually requires a proximity link to a fob in use to clone. Since most of us use our phones, it is less likely a criminal would be able to get access to a fob. The phones use encryption and need to handshake with the car to access. OTA exploit of an incripted signal is far less likely than a fob sending a signal that could be captured and duplicated.

Did that sound smart? I hope so, because I really donā€™t know what the F Iā€™m talking aboutšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚. Now my car is going to get stolenā€¦
šŸ¤£šŸ˜Ž

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
is there an Anti-Theft device on the market that is being used by other Rivian owners? Yes, it's called Phone As A Key, and you have it.

As long as you are using your Phone As A Key (PAAK) there is nothing to worry about at all - until car thieves have handheld quantum computers, lol. Rivian is a member of the Connected Car Consortium. The tech is light years ahead of RF (Radio Frequency) Fobs. It uses private/public key encryption to communicate, conceptually similar to how secure web sites work. It prevents relay attacks by measuring the "time of flight" - how long it takes for the car and the phone to "handshake". You can read more about the details here if you like. SOmeone stealing your Rivian by hacking PAAK should be at the very bottom of your concerns, well below "What am I having for lunch today?".

"CCC Digital Key enables hands-free passive keyless entry at the same level of comfort and safety as classic hands-free passive entry and passive start, provided by a large number of vehicle models today. CCC Digital Key may be used to access a vehicle, start the engine, immobilize the vehicle, or authorize any other operation. No interaction with the mobile device is needed, for example activating an app. The smartphone can stay in the userā€™s pocket. To provide hands-free access, the mobile device and vehicle mutually authenticate, and the vehicle verifies that the mobile deviceā€™s CCC Digital Key authorizes the requested operation. UWB time-of-flight measurement prevents attackers from using relay attacks (based on signal amplification) to trick the vehicle into thinking that the mobile device is nearby when it is not ā€“ this protection is called ā€˜secure rangingā€™. Alternatively, CCC Digital Key may be used by simply placing a mobile device near the vehicleā€™s NFC reader. The limited operational range of NFC prevents attackers from fooling the car into thinking the device is closer than it is. Both the UWB ā€“ BLE combination and NFC utilize the authentication protocolā€™s privacy to ensure that anyone monitoring wireless communications cannot track the user or their mobile device."
šŸ¤”šŸ„±šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«