Sponsored

Any R1S owner coming from XC90?

gerobak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Hi, we are heavily considering to move on from Volvo XC90 to R1s.
If any of you were the previous XC90 owners, we would love to hear your thoughts.
I have a big big big family, 4 growing children (1 yo to 13 yo).
Is the 3rd row seat better or worse than XC90?

TIA.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

The R1S is larger in every dimension to the XC90. The 3rd row legroom is lightly larger with the XC90 being 31.9 and the Rivian having 32.75. The Rivian is 3” wider as well.

Oyabro

First Name
Oury
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, El Cap, Forest Edge, 20's
Occupation
Fixing technical things for simple people
My wife has a 2019 XC90. Happy to share the vehicle feels wider and more spacious than hers. We love both, but only have one two year old.
The 3rd row has more room as well, along with USB-C chargers.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

We had the late year first gen XC90 with the split rear gate. We had two early teenage boys then. Loved the 3rd row on the XC90. Drove it for ~90k miles or so before moving onto the next "family wagon" vehicle.

R1S is definitely wider but feels shallower than XC90 inside. Also seating position is higher (even at the lowest seat setting) than XC90. R1S 2nd row feels more spacious both the leg room and relative distance between the back of the front row and where the seat back is in the 2nd row, which has an adjustable pitch.

My opinion is that the interior of the XC90 has much refined and nicer finish with a better ergonomics for us. Others may feel differently. The R1S driver's seat lacks lateral support both the seat cushion and the back. Active ventilated seats are nice for temperature regulation though.

On a long road trips (~400 miles/day), I recall XC90 being less tiring than the R1S but I'm also older so that may have something to do with it too. That said, I find that our Tesla is more comfortable than R1S (I have lower back pains and need proper lumber support, especially driving a long distances)

We used the 3rd row of XC90 for child's carseat, as we like having the rear axle as an energy absorbing structure in addition to the body, in case of an accident. With R1S, if your older kids are no longer in the carseat, you might consider it or just use the passenger side 2 and 3 row for two carseats. If you have more, well, Volvo has a miniVan now...

RDMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

We traded our 2017 hybrid Volvo because we were much more experienced with EV’s and got our R1s last year. It is larger in all dimensions, including approx 5” higher ground clearance. That did mean running boards were needed. The third row seats can accommodate car seats and are wider and deeper than the Volvos. You also get significant more storage space with the trunk and a frunk. The Volvos front seats and stereo were superior and I feel the fit and finish was also better. But we have no regrets switching to the Rivian

Sponsored

Ryanide

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Real Estate
I had the XC90 hybrid with the B&O sound which really spoiled me forever. The R1s drives much better and is more spacious. Safety wise, I would say they are equal with the R1S having the battery weight distribution being a huge advantage and it being over engineered, it performs excellent in crash testing. You may find the seats less comfortable that the Volvo (especially if you had the massage feature) and the Rivian Audio system is quite disappointing even though it has a bunch of speakers. Everything else about the R1S, we love!! That said the new Volvo EX90 All-Electric may be something to consider also.

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

Had a 2018 XC90. Sold it to my dad after getting R1S so still get to use it when visiting.

overall dimensions are just better in every way in R1S especially as the kids and their friends get bigger. The back is squared off not sloped so you can fit more back there. Third row can fit most adults. Didn’t feel that way with XC90.

frunk is game changer with even more storage for trips

the xc90 built in booster was missed for the first year, but now none of the kids need one.

XC90 has better support in the seats as others noted but you’ll not really care unless you plan to bring it to the race track. The seat coolers make it a draw for me. Done plenty of road trips in both.

physical controls for front A/C are nice in Volvo. Rivians temp setup is non-intuitive. I hope they redesign the controls a little for this

xc90 can enable auto lane center everywhere. R1S still can’t. So long undivided highways require steering on trips still.

not sure what year you’re coming from but rivian sensors seem to go further and adjust speed more smoothly if you run up on slow traffic. Riv is constantly making software updates and I would say it’s better or equal to Volvo finally (at least where you can use it)

think that’s the big difference. With all the software updates the R1S is night and day in the last 20 months.

Suspension has 3 different modes now
accelerator pressure to speed mapping is a lot smoother in all modes

They added snow mode giving access to a 3rd regen setting.

they added kneel mode. Though honestly get steps/sliders. Kneel mode gets old and your kids and wife will thank you. Not to mention putting anything on the roof racks.

Anyways I’m sure some of these opinions will change again as they keep making improvements.

tl;dnr - its bigger and better in most aspects. Get steps.
Sponsored