OP
andyboo

andyboo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I didn’t really think to take too many pictures because when I had the car I didn’t think it was anything too special. It wasn’t until a couple days after I returned it that I realized there weren’t too many out there yet and that prompted me to do the write up in case it helped people make a decision one way or another about checking the Silverado out.

Here are the pictures I did take:

Rivian R1T R1S Living With The Chevy Silverado EV For (Almost) A Week IMG_3920

Rivian R1T R1S Living With The Chevy Silverado EV For (Almost) A Week IMG_3874

Rivian R1T R1S Living With The Chevy Silverado EV For (Almost) A Week IMG_3887

Rivian R1T R1S Living With The Chevy Silverado EV For (Almost) A Week IMG_3886
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Thank you much for posting the pictures.

Brian

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
RST first editions are starting to ship. Sierra soon after.
I'm excited about the sierra Denali. Love the R1T but I only got it because I wasn't sure when the gm truck was going to be released.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Cons
  • Charging takes forever (once you find a charger that the truck actually plays nice with
Takes forever? I mean, on a raw basis, it does take longer to recharge 215 kWh than 135kWh at the same kW rate (at home, for example.) But the Silverado's charge curve is so much better than the Rivian's, that the time to add a given number of *MILES* should be significantly better. On a 350kW charger, it can hold "higher than the Rivian can accept at all" all the way to 75%.

Of course, that requires 350kW stations.

Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The WT is an impressive truck, but it was 4 days with the Silverado EV RST that ruined my R1T for me. The list of things that GM got right in this RST would fill pages, and will surely affect how many trucks Rivian is able to sell once the public is able to cross shop these products.

As much as I have enjoyed my R1T, going back to it after the RST really highlights the difference between a manufacturer that's been doing trucks for 100 years and somebody that's just getting started.

GM says my Denali EV (RST equivalent) should be on its way to me by August.

Green R1T for sale. I'll get the scratches buffed out...

😎

Last edited:

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Other than the review by OOSK, who I cant stand!.. The info I am looking for is little to none..
The Silverado EV looks to be a fantastic truck, for what it is.

But, I will still have to look at one to see if the seat position entry and exit work for my bad back before I make any calls.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Other than the review by OOSK, who I cant stand!.. The info I am looking for is little to none..
The Silverado EV looks to be a fantastic truck, for what it is.

But, I will still have to look at one to see if the seat position entry and exit work for my bad back before I make any calls.
Getting in and out of the r1t always seemed just a little awkward to me; like I was trying to get in and out of a smaller vehicle than it really is. I'm a big guy, so I'm kind of used to that, and it's never bothered me enough to complain about it.

The Silverado is just that; A full size Silverado. I didn't notice any difference getting in and out than any other full size Silverado on the lot.

The back seat, wow. They actually stretched that a little and it has more room than even the gas models.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Even though we are really big R1T fan boys, we love the configuration of the new Silverado EV. As we all know, the Silverado EV is actually a Chevrolet Avalanche (2001-2013) with electric motors. The Avalanche was a great and very versatile design. We always wanted one, but it was too light to meet our needs. We needed Diesel torque and a more substantial payload. Therefore, we have been Silverado HD Duramax customers for many years.

The new Silverado EV has some promise but is still light in the payload department for our needs. The Silverado EV's payload is 500# less than our R1T. The Silverado EV advertising that it's towing capacity is 10,000# is kind of BS as most trailers of this weight have at least a 1000# tongue weight. This would mean that all passengers and cargo would need to be under 200#, requiring some really skinny people using it.

The new Silverado EV has to get a real payload if it wants to be a real truck.

For now, our R1T better fits our Airstream towing needs.

Brian

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Takes forever? I mean, on a raw basis, it does take longer to recharge 215 kWh than 135kWh at the same kW rate (at home, for example.) But the Silverado's charge curve is so much better than the Rivian's, that the time to add a given number of *MILES* should be significantly better. On a 350kW charger, it can hold "higher than the Rivian can accept at all" all the way to 75%.

Of course, that requires 350kW stations.
My Hummer holds 200kw or greater to 68%. The issue is finding a charger that will provide the full 500A. I've had the Hummer charging at 300kw, but the display is telling me the charger is only providing 80% of the requested rate. It doesn't even drop below 100kw until you are above 90%.

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
The Silv≡rado has wireless CarPlay, setup was quick and easy once you figure out that’s available through the generic Bluetooth menu (thanks, p. 168 of the owners manual). Using CarPlay for those 6 days again highlights just how far behind Rivian’s navigation system is behind both Apple and Google Maps, not to mention the lack of easy integration with any third party music or podcast apps, except Spotify, Amazon, and Tidal (lol).
I thought GM made the decision to drop CarPlay/AA from EVs models. This very recent Ars Technica review of the RST trim says CarPlay is gone

The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV’s great range comes at a high cost

and it isn’t the only review to mention it as Autoweek says the same In their review.

So exactly what did you get in the WT trim?

OP
OP
andyboo

andyboo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I thought GM made the decision to drop CarPlay/AA from EVs models. This very recent Ars Technica review of the RST trim says CarPlay is gone

The 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV’s great range comes at a high cost

and it isn’t the only review to mention it as Autoweek says the same In their review.

So exactly what did you get in the WT trim?
In this year's WT it seems like you get full blown CarPlay and Android Auto but in the review of the RST I just watched from Out Of Spec it looks like GM has taken those out of the Silverado, as it announced it would be doing with future models.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T FG/FE 20" AT Dark
I was excited for the Silverado .. but man its getting awful reviews. Does a lot of things right, but is just crap to drive apparently.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It looks like it will be a good truck for people who want regular trucks....certainly nothing like an R1T and it's on road or off road envelope of capabilities. But that is what makes the Rivians so amazing...that it can push those boundaries so far. The GM will be a fine truck...but the Rivians are Supertrucks or even have heard them called Hypertrucks. That's not going to apply to the GM Silvarado offerings. But for the masses...Likely will sell alot of them.
Sponsored