First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Adventurers world over often use vehicles in the accomplishment of their adventures. This fact has formed distinct vehicle niches, often competing one against the other. The Jeep versus the Yoda boys rivalry is legendary, and on any given weekend you can find members of both camps deep in the woods and trails pitting there vehicles and their skill one against the other.

The GM boys show up, with their factory equipped Canyons and of course the Raptor crowd is ever present.

When I got asked to be on the tech team for an upstart company that was going to participate in a four-wheel drive (and motorcycle) EV adventure documentary that was going to span the continent, I was convinced that a new era was upon us.

I'm sure most of you have seen the movie, and no, that certainly did not go as planned (does it ever?). Nevertheless, I was excited to take delivery of my very own R1 to continue the adventure. At the time, I was actually convinced I was going to have a lot of company on these adventures.

6 years later, I reach out and search forums such as this one and others, to see what other people are doing with their R1's.

Towing RVs on the highway. Taking it on a ski trip. Following a forest service road to a remote lake.

WTF?

For a so-called "adventure" branded vehicle, where are all the "adventure" buyers? Sure, there are way too many Jeep Rubicons that have never seen dirt in their lifetime, but there are also plenty of them out there being used for what they were built for.

Where are the real overlanders? Where are the guys that know how to tackle a class 5, are equipped, and ready to go?

I will meet up with you. Let's show the "adventure" crowd that electrics can overland. Let's get these adventure vehicles off the pavement and into the riverbeds.

Rockies and west preferred, but I could be lured farther east with the proper adventure...
Sponsored

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... To clarify, this is a Rivian forum, so obviously calling out to Rivian owners... But it applies to the entirety of the BEV 4x4 crowd. The Hummers, the homebrews, what have you.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I think what you are describing is happening it is just very different and new still and we have different challenges in a Rivian.

Sometimes even routine 'adventures' in a gas vehicle have some challenges in a Rivian. For example exploring the Steens Mountains. I did it summer 2022 but I had to stay at an RV resort and deal with ~30kW charging in Burns. Then instead of just driving back straight on the highway I decided to head east through wilderness and found a route out eventually... sadly I came out without enough charge to make it to Bend so had to head back to Burns and charge at 30kW. At the time considering minimal charging that was an adventure

Later that summer I also attempted two sections of the WA BDR with a few other Rivian owners, that unfortunately ended up badly for me when one of my air shocks sprung a leak and I had to limp out to Ellensburg and spend the weekend in a hotel. I think someone could in principle do the Wa BDR from the OR coast to Canada but you'd need the charger in Cascade locks to actually be working and also likely would have to find charging in Canada on the other side as there is nothing north of Leavenworth today.

I also did a successful overland trip that summer in Canada. We started at Fernie and headed north up some forest roads. My friend in his Subaru turned back after camping up the ways but I continued on and came out of the wilderness after having to bypass a couple of bridges that were out with two flat tires and only hours to spare to find an open tire shop up towards Radium Hot Springs. Luckily my impromptu plug held enough air to get me their on time.

Even locally on Mt Hood I have taken some of the more challenging routes (Bennet Pass, , there isn't many, without any issues. And with groups of Rivians. I did sections of Fins and Things (Moab) in my Rivian too, super early and I had no idea what I was getting into but definitely felt like an adventure. There was also this battle scar I took on a jeep track east of Wikiup Reservoir.

Speaking of local 'overland' routes. I already mentioned the WA BDR, I think it would be possible but present some challenge. Another route I have looked at is the Pacific Crest Overlanding Route, It would be possible through OR I think but would face the same challenges as the Wa BDR I mentioned above. As of today I don't think the CA section would be possible, not until we can use the Tesla SC in Susanville.

Maybe these adventures don't meet your threshold but don't say we are not trying and pushing the edge of what we can do with these trucks. Believe it or not I did all that in my QM with no locking differentials :giggle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think what you are describing is happening it is just very different and new still and we have different challenges in a Rivian.

Sometimes even routine 'adventures' in a gas vehicle have some challenges in a Rivian. For example exploring the Steens Mountains. I did it summer 2022 but I had to stay at an RV resort and deal with ~30kW charging in Burns. Then instead of just driving back straight on the highway I decided to head east through wilderness and found a route out eventually... sadly I came out without enough charge to make it to Bend so had to head back to Burns and charge at 30kW. At the time considering minimal charging that was an adventure

Later that summer I also attempted two sections of the WA BDR with a few other Rivian owners, that unfortunately ended up badly for me when one of my air shocks sprung a leak and I had to limp out to Ellensburg and spend the weekend in a hotel. I think someone could in principle do the Wa BDR from the OR coast to Canada but you'd need the charge in Cascade locks to actually be working and also likely would have to find charging in Canada on the other side as there is nothing north of Leavenworth today.

I also did a successful overland trip that summer in Canada. We started at Fernie and headed north up some forest roads. My friend in his Subaru turned back after camping up the ways but I continued on and came out of the wilderness after having to bypass a couple of bridges that were out with two flat tires and only hours to spare to find an open tire shop up towards Radium Hot Springs. Luckily my impromptu plug held enough air to get me their on time.

Even locally on Mt Hood I have taken some of the more challenging routes (Bennet Pass, , there isn't many, without any issues. And with groups of Rivians. I did sections of Fins and Things (Moab) in my Rivian too, super early and I had no idea what I was getting into but definitely felt like an adventure. There was also this battle scar I took on a jeep track east of Wikiup Reservoir.

Speaking of local 'overland' routes. I already mentioned the WA BDR, I think it would be possible but present some challenge. Another route I have looked at is the Pacific Crest Overlanding Route, It would be possible through OR I think but would face the same challenges as the Wa BDR I mentioned above. As of today I don't think the CA section would be possible, not until we can use the Tesla SC in Susanville.

Maybe these adventures don't meet your threshold but don't say we are not trying and pushing the edge of what we can do with these trucks. Believe it or not I did all that in my QM with no locking differentials :giggle:
I was obviously thinking of you when I made the post, as you do seem to be the only other one getting "out there" lol. Oh, and congrats for making it all work with your QM.
;)

I blame the QM debacle for losing the original crew I had set up to do some of this stuff. Two of us sold our QM's after the testing we documented 2 years ago, and the other is no longer interested in taking his "off-road".

Cowards.

Back to the overlanding you are doing, you are actually super close... Let me know if you are open to a party crasher on future adventures!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

We're out there. Played that game with my 4Runner for many years and just getting started with the Rivian. As with every off-road capable vehicle, the vast majority are bought by folks that won't even drive a dirt road let alone a track through the mountains. But for every thousand or more of those, a few of us will venture into the dirt to play and escape the doldrums of city life. Those many thousands enable manufacturers to produce these vehicles so we can get out and do what we love even if most never use their capability. The aftermarket parts manufacturers also need to see the demand to get us the tools we need, like quality sliders meant for protection and not just helping to get in/out...still waiting on my Megawatt sliders to ship. Or for that matter, either Rivian or someone else to figure out a winch...even though I never needed to use the one on my 4Runner.

@Calvin2518 you need to jump in here and post some of your adventures too!

Imogene Pass
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 4Runner_Imogene_Rock

Random camping near the Collegiate Peaks in full "overland" guise
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 4Runner_BV_Tent

Corkscrew Pass
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image3

Yankee Girl Mine in the Red Mountain mining district
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image2

Ophir Pass
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image1

Just outside Animas Forks ghost town...history.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image5

Lake Como along California Pass
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image4

Potash Rd in Moab...boring, because I don't have sliders yet.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image0

Mt Antero at 13.7k ft...truck did better than expected in the tight switchbacks and ambling over rocks.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image8

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? image9

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I was obviously thinking of you when I made the post, as you do seem to be the only other one getting "out there" lol. Oh, and congrats for making it all work with your QM.
;)

I blame the QM debacle for losing the original crew I had set up to do some of this stuff. Two of us sold our QM's after the testing we documented 2 years ago, and the other is no longer interested in taking his "off-road".

Cowards.

Back to the overlanding you are doing, you are actually super close... Let me know if you are open to a party crasher on future adventures!
Well I definitely don't think I am the only one getting out there. For example I even saw @SeaGeo slam his rock slider on something I wouldn't attempt at La Dee Flats. Definitely feeling more confident now that I have my sliders installed though, and I got a few scrapes on them at KOH too.

I'll even plug my friends @LivingInKaos, @av8or trying shit with their trucks, at least when Terry is not too busy fabricating parts in his shop or Randall isn't escaping the 'cold' of the PNW :).. In fact I think we'd like to get some more adventure related events going with Portland Rivian Club eventually..

Regardless I'd be willing to try some more interesting/challenging overlanding routes with the right crew. Who's towing the generator?

LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Well I definitely don't think I am the only one getting out there. For example I even saw @SeaGeo slam his rock slider on something I wouldn't attempt at La Dee Flats. Definitely feeling more confident now that I have my sliders installed though, and I got a few scrapes on them at KOH too.

I'll even plug my friends @LivingInKaos, @av8or trying shit with their trucks, at least when Terry is not too busy fabricating parts in his shop or Randall isn't escaping the 'cold' of the PNW :).. In fact I think we'd like to get some more adventure related events going with Portland Rivian Club eventually..

Regardless I'd be willing to try some more interesting/challenging overlanding routes with the right crew. Who's towing the generator?
I have the rescue trailer (22kw gen and 2- 40a chargers). Only carry 2- 100lb propane on there though. Depends on how "deep" you go.....

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Hahaha, you and I have entirely different risk profiles. You do stuff I'm not comfortable with, and apparently vice-versa!

There's definitely a contingent of folks up in Seattle (and @LivingInKaos included) who take our trucks out and do things like the BDR. The Emerald City Rivian Club has had a couple of outings to one of the local off-road vehicle parks as well.

As @jjswan33 mentioned up above, some of it is related to fast charger access, and I think some is not wanting to damage vehicles as expensive as these are. A lot of what most people get an offroading vehicle for is being able to get up to trailheads or skiing reliably, the vehicle is usually just a means of transportation to facilitate that. I know I've gotten my truck up to some hiking trails that I definitely wouldn't have done with any (?) of my prior vehicles.

Last edited:

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hahaha, you and I have entirely different risk profiles. You do stuff I'm not comfortable with, and apparently vice-versa!
To be fair that was the day I decided to buy some Rock sliders :like:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

To be fair that was the day I decided to buy some Rock sliders :like:
The hope is always that day comes before doing major damage. :p When I first started doing off-road stuff I had a mentor that helped me equip my 4Runner and my skid plates and rock sliders bore many marks proving their worth. At one point I was negotiating a really tight spot between big boulders on one side and trees on the other. You had to drive up onto one of the boulders with one side of the rig and try to squeak by the trees with the other and coming back off that rock I managed to drop the rig right onto the slider near the front wheel...putting about a 1/4" dent in the DOM tubing. Figure those sliders more than paid for themselves that day.

Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Ha, no need to gatekeep the term adventure. For you, it sounds like the point of the car is to do stuff with a car all day. That's your hobby, cool. For some people the car is one of several tools they use to accomplish something else adventurous they love to do.

Cool idea for a thread, branding needs some work.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

where are all the "adventure" buyers?
I'm stuck in the hellscape of Northern Virginia traffic all day. That's some kind of adventure, right?
😆

But definitely enjoy living vicariously through everyone else's pictures.

MGA

Banned
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Veloster
I think in the Rivian's sense an "adventure" is not a sports style offroading and competition, but some form of internal "tourism" and pastime, I mean some people watch TV or attend sports competitions, and some just go somewhere on their cars. It is not even necessary for relaxation that these places to be particularly picturesque.

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Ha, no need to gatekeep the term adventure. For you, it sounds like the point of the car is to do stuff with a car all day. That's your hobby, cool. For some people the car is one of several tools they use to accomplish something else adventurous they love to do.

Quite a fair point, and I will be the first to admit; I am super vehicle-centric. I love going to beautiful places, setting up camp, cracking a beer and sitting to enjoy the wonderful view of my truck/Jeep/motorcycle. The time spent out of/off of it is tough; and I am always the first one packed and ready to be back on the trail the next day.
:p

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer

Yar - for me the truck is a tool to get me closer to where I want to have people-powered adventures. Though I admit to now finding myself wanting to drive to the top of a local mountain that I wouldn't have looked at before...
Sponsored