First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Last October I spent 2 weeks in the Owyhee mountains on a hunting trip. Some of the worst tracks around. Lots of loose jagged rock and difficult, steep terrain. Was glad for my rock sliders and my KO 2 tires. My new 20 wheels are all dinged up from loose rocks. The truck was unstoppable and the country beautiful.

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_0063

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_0065

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_0061
Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Two thoughts:
  1. I'm not super here for the "adventure" gatekeeping. I've towed an airstream to ski areas multiple times in feet of snow to camp out for fresh powder (just got back from a week at Bachelor, in fact). Is that an adventure, or do I have to pose on a rock? I've pulled trucks and vans out of the snow, gone bikepacking deep in the cascades off rutty roads, and camped along the BDR a half dozen times; is that an adventure, or does it have to be "wheeling"?
  2. The more interesting what I'm doing is, the less likely I am to stop it for some glamor shots for IG or forums. I love taking pictures but I'm not going to get out to set up a camera for a drive-by or take posed shots of my truck most of the time, and I don't have a drone copilot.
I hear your point about the jeep/yoda communities but most of that "overlanding" is engagement farming content creators trying to make a dime (or at least pay off their camera gear) by aggressively promoting an image of a lifestyle. The Rivian community is tiny by comparison, so we have fewer (but not no) equivalent promoters. I'm not sure I'm eager to catch up?

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
We're out there. Played that game with my 4Runner for many years and just getting started with the Rivian. As with every off-road capable vehicle, the vast majority are bought by folks that won't even drive a dirt road let alone a track through the mountains. But for every thousand or more of those, a few of us will venture into the dirt to play and escape the doldrums of city life. Those many thousands enable manufacturers to produce these vehicles so we can get out and do what we love even if most never use their capability. The aftermarket parts manufacturers also need to see the demand to get us the tools we need, like quality sliders meant for protection and not just helping to get in/out...still waiting on my Megawatt sliders to ship. Or for that matter, either Rivian or someone else to figure out a winch...even though I never needed to use the one on my 4Runner.

@Calvin2518 you need to jump in here and post some of your adventures too!

Imogene Pass
4Runner_Imogene_Rock.jpg

Random camping near the Collegiate Peaks in full "overland" guise
4Runner_BV_Tent.jpg

Corkscrew Pass
image3.jpeg

Yankee Girl Mine in the Red Mountain mining district
image2.jpeg

Ophir Pass
image1.jpeg

Just outside Animas Forks ghost town...history.
image5.jpeg

Lake Como along California Pass
image4.jpeg

Potash Rd in Moab...boring, because I don't have sliders yet.
image0.jpeg

Mt Antero at 13.7k ft...truck did better than expected in the tight switchbacks and ambling over rocks.
image8.jpg

image9.jpg
Awesome photo shots..😎👍🏼

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
OP, I'm not sure you meant it, but your post is pretty condescending. Your idea of "adventure" isn't the same as everyone's.
I have no interest in sitting on my arse inside a vehicle all day to get to the top of the mountain so that I can get out to sit in a chair and crack a beer.
I'd rather drive my truck to the beginning of an adventure and then use my legs, bike, kayak, etc to go on an adventure and have my body earn that chair and beer.

Sponsored

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

I look at my Rivian as an enabler. It enables me to more easily move my crew to our worksites than before. I would like to include in the definition of “adventure” what we do at the locations our Rivians take us.

and yes getting there is now a hell of lot more fun than it was before.

A widow-maker. Tree shattering during felling.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_4477

Setting a high line for moving bucked logs:

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_7523

Digging out a crawlspace under a hundred year old house from 6” to 2.5’.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_4384

Clearing boulders from the Appalachian Trail.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_4684

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I consider there to be lots of posers out there looking for internet cred for their like $60k camp setup.

The rest of us just go out there. Here’s a few just from searching my photos for “Rivian”.

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_1577
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_1313
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_1609
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_0030
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? PXL_20220831_221343190.MP_Original
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? PXL_20220827_213857028_Original
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? PXL_20220901_004455408.MP_Original

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I plan on doing plenty of adventuring on the trails with our R1S once we get it, especially since we are just a couple hours from Moab and Ouray. I think we'll see more people using Rivians on the trails after a few more years, kind of like it seems that land cruisers get more trail use by the second owners. Here's a picture from a day trip I did up onion creek, rose garden hill and top of the world last month.
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 20240204_162748

Sponsored

Rexbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Right here! I'm always up for the challenge of getting stuck somewhere!

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 20240204_162748
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? gH54GxmpHA_HUFV0Ach1w8h=w987-h1316-s-no?authuser=0

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? xfO451c7VypnEy-n83hOX8=w1670-h1253-s-no?authuser=0

@Ramble On Rivian good luck with mojave road! the charging situation could get... dicey. Let us know how it goes!

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I plan on doing plenty of adventuring on the trails with our R1S once we get it, especially since we are just a couple hours from Moab and Ouray. I think we'll see more people using Rivians on the trails after a few more years, kind of like it seems that land cruisers get more trail use by the second owners.
Funny enough when I was out in Ouray over the summer I met another R1T in almost identical spec to my own at the Engineer Pass summit. That was pretty unexpected. I got tons of comments on the trail from folks curious about the truck, including a USFS Ranger stopping me to talk for a bit since he hadn't seen one on the trail yet.