Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
R1T, MYP
Occupation
@theoverlandstory
OP, where are you at man? There's plenty of R1 vehicles on the trails. I see them all the time when I'm out there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
OP, where are you at man? There's plenty of R1 vehicles on the trails. I see them all the time when I'm out there.

Mostly fighting my way through snow in the PNW ATM, encouraged by all the fellow adventurers!

Any of y'all come up with a better winch solution than a rear hitch mount?
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 1000001923

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Adventurers world over often use vehicles in the accomplishment of their adventures. This fact has formed distinct vehicle niches, often competing one against the other. The Jeep versus the Yoda boys rivalry is legendary, and on any given weekend you can find members of both camps deep in the woods and trails pitting there vehicles and their skill one against the other.

The GM boys show up, with their factory equipped Canyons and of course the Raptor crowd is ever present.

When I got asked to be on the tech team for an upstart company that was going to participate in a four-wheel drive (and motorcycle) EV adventure documentary that was going to span the continent, I was convinced that a new era was upon us.

I'm sure most of you have seen the movie, and no, that certainly did not go as planned (does it ever?). Nevertheless, I was excited to take delivery of my very own R1 to continue the adventure. At the time, I was actually convinced I was going to have a lot of company on these adventures.

6 years later, I reach out and search forums such as this one and others, to see what other people are doing with their R1's.

Towing RVs on the highway. Taking it on a ski trip. Following a forest service road to a remote lake.

WTF?

For a so-called "adventure" branded vehicle, where are all the "adventure" buyers? Sure, there are way too many Jeep Rubicons that have never seen dirt in their lifetime, but there are also plenty of them out there being used for what they were built for.

Where are the real overlanders? Where are the guys that know how to tackle a class 5, are equipped, and ready to go?

I will meet up with you. Let's show the "adventure" crowd that electrics can overland. Let's get these adventure vehicles off the pavement and into the riverbeds.

Rockies and west preferred, but I could be lured farther east with the proper adventure...
I'm busy working to pay for this stuff.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Rivian used front tow hitch receivers, with the driver side having power for a receiver mounted winch on their R1Sā€”Rubicon trail vehicle. Did they just unbolt the stock tow hooks and bolt in receivers?

Sponsored

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Mostly fighting my way through snow in the PNW ATM, encouraged by all the fellow adventurers!

1000001923.jpg

New paint scheme.

IMG_0355.jpeg
Similar shade šŸ˜Ž
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 1000001928

widecamsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Occupation
Researcher
Adventurers world over often use vehicles in the accomplishment of their adventures. This fact has formed distinct vehicle niches, often competing one against the other. The Jeep versus the Yoda boys rivalry is legendary, and on any given weekend you can find members of both camps deep in the woods and trails pitting there vehicles and their skill one against the other.
The problem is, Rivians are an expensive bit of kit to take offroad. I'm personally pretty debt adverse and prefer to buy cars in cash -and like to live cheap. To that end, I commute by bus, train and bike, so a luxury car is a steep purchase for something I only use three days a week, mostly offroad and on long road trips. That's what has really turned me off Riv. Because of this (and my desire for a really cheap per-mile driving experience) I ended up choosing a Bolt. Which has been worked harder than a lot of Jeeps on the road imo. I am a caver and climber, which mandates a lot of hard "subaru crosstrek" roads. But at the end of the day, I would argue that for my kind of lifestyle with the expeditions I go on, a Rivian is super overkill. Most cavers and climbers alike perfer the crosstreks and outbacks for the reason that they are pretty cheap, fuel effecient, reliable and easy to fix. Besides, the only roads that come close to needing rivian levels of performance, would probably destroy a rivian. So we use side-by-sides or motorcycles for access, I would love to be proven otherwise however, it's a pain to haul motorbikes into the Uintas.

My Bolt is at 140,000 miles, perhaps by the time the R3 comes out I'll have the cash to buy one of those. Assuming it can beat the purchase price of a Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness. Which unfortunately will probably be my next vehicle.

I want Rivian to succeed with the adventure crowd, however most of us can't spent 90k on a car when we're spending it on caving and climbing gear :)
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 1710796321444-n6
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_20230602_173620
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 1710796221130-1e

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The problem is, Rivians are an expensive bit of kit to take offroad. I'm personally pretty debt adverse and prefer to buy cars in cash -and like to live cheap. To that end, I commute by bus, train and bike, so a luxury car is a steep purchase for something I only use three days a week, mostly offroad and on long road trips. That's what has really turned me off Riv. Because of this (and my desire for a really cheap per-mile driving experience) I ended up choosing a Bolt. Which has been worked harder than a lot of Jeeps on the road imo. I am a caver and climber, which mandates a lot of hard "subaru crosstrek" roads. But at the end of the day, I would argue that for my kind of lifestyle with the expeditions I go on, a Rivian is super overkill. Most cavers and climbers alike perfer the crosstreks and outbacks for the reason that they are pretty cheap, fuel effecient, reliable and easy to fix. Besides, the only roads that come close to needing rivian levels of performance, would probably destroy a rivian. So we use side-by-sides or motorcycles for access, I would love to be proven otherwise however, it's a pain to haul motorbikes into the Uintas.

My Bolt is at 140,000 miles, perhaps by the time the R3 comes out I'll have the cash to buy one of those. Assuming it can beat the purchase price of a Subaru Crosstrek Wilderness. Which unfortunately will probably be my next vehicle.

I want Rivian to succeed with the adventure crowd, however most of us can't spent 90k on a car when we're spending it on caving and climbing gear :)
1710796321444-n6.jpg
IMG_20230602_173620.jpg
1710796221130-1e.jpg
Kudos. But as far as expensive kit goes, I have a lot more money in my TJ than I do in my Rivian. Love seeing the Bolt in the woods BTW... Looks like it has seen more woods than a lot of Rubicons...
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 20170814_183610-1

Sponsored

widecamsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Occupation
Researcher
Kudos. But as far as expensive kit goes, I have a lot more money in my TJ than I do in my Rivian. Love seeing the Bolt in the woods BTW... Looks like it has seen more woods than a lot of Rubicons...
20170814_183610-1.jpg
It's a good car. Will probably get another 60k out of it before it's unusuable, my hope is it breaks down after grad school...

No_Name5330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 tremor/ GMC Yukon AT4/ R1S
Clubs

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

1000001923.jpg

Similar shade šŸ˜Ž
1000001928.jpg
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? IMG_1648

Sedona over the weekend.

Had to get out a pressure washer to clean caked on Sedona red mud on the underbody, suspension, and wheels. Pain in the ass but well worth it.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
What trails in Utah do you like to do?
White Rim Trail every 2 or 3 years, Hurrah Pass, Chicken Corners, Lockhart Basin / Canyon. Iā€™ve driven every road in the Needles District, including any requiring permits or only open part of the year, but donā€™t feel like I need to again. I am happy that I did Elephant Hill with my FJ, but I did not enjoy it enough to risk damage to my Rivian. (Would rather revisit it with a mountain bike, or e-bike, if allowed.) Same with Fins N Things, Hellā€™s Revenge. Iā€™m not interested in ā€œtrailsā€ that require a winch. I havenā€™t explored the Maze area nor the San Rafael Swell area. Iā€™m a hiker, so I use my off road vehicles to get me to trail heads, or to more quickly bypass the boring stretches of land to get to the interesting parts. I enjoy (amateur) landscape photography. Iā€™m headed to The Wave shortly.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
this adventurer is mostly driving his Grenadier...
Sponsored