Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Like the Rover, you just don't see many of those on the trails...
😎
I finally saw a G-wagon on the trails 2 years ago. That was fun to see.

OP
OP
R.I.P.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
most of that "overlanding" is engagement farming content creators trying to make a dime (or at least pay off their camera gear) by aggressively promoting an image of a lifestyle.
You say that as if it is a fact; which it is not lol.

I guess it is obviously your perception however.

In fact, none of the overlanders I run with are on youtube or promoting anything but enjoying the sport. I do know some of the youtubers (casually), and some of them are real "overlanders" that are sharing their experience's.

But... to your point... I know some that are not as well... boobtube shills.....

My RTT gets used.... :cool:
Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? PXL_20240317_005527064

Rivian R1T R1S Where are the Rivian "adventurers"? 20170814_183610 (1)

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
You say that as if it is a fact; which it is not lol.

In fact, none of the overlanders I run with are on youtube or promoting anything but enjoying the sport. I do know some of the youtubers (casually), and some of them are real "overlanders" that are sharing their experience's.
I think you're missing my point a bit - it's not that there's no such thing as "real overlanders," it's that the ones you're going to encounter organically are either from people directly in your orbit (friends, forum get togethers, etc.) or from aggressive self-promoters (youtubers and other "influencers").

Both of those are going to scale in proportion to the community, and the Rivian community is comparatively tiny; Tacoma and Jeep sales are 10-20x Rivian annual sales, respectively, and have been for decades, so there are an order of magnitude more owners out there.

There are self evidently plenty of Rivian "adventurers" in this thread - and if you look, starting to poke through on IG/YT as well (Charge Overland, EVLander, Mylo, and others pop to mind) - but of course it's a niche, proportional to the number of trucks in the wild. That doesn't mean the rest of us aren't out enjoying our trucks, even if we keep it to ourselves more often than not.

Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Seems to me we're ALL adventurers in this life. We're just having different adventures, that's all....

Best to all!

widecamsam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt EV
Occupation
Researcher
...I haven’t explored the Maze area nor the San Rafael Swell area. I’m a hiker, so I use my off road vehicles to get me to trail heads, or to more quickly bypass the boring stretches of land to get to the interesting parts.
If you are out in the San Rafael Swell, please keep to the established roads, too many people have ripped up the landscape, especially around the I70, and sometimes it can be hard to pick out whch roads are established or not. My family has been exploring well before the I70 scarred the land out there, it's an extremely underprotected and delicate landscape. I wish to have seen it the way it was before it was cut in two (give the book "Stone House Lands" (Joe Bauman, of Salt Lake City) a read before you head out there) . . . The climbing out there is better than Indian Creek in my humble opinion :)
Sponsored