Sponsored

tnawara

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y Performance 2022
CS shot me down ? @tnawara ... Just gonna have to wait it out.

Sorry

They said LE had priority... Whether or not that's true I'm kinda doubtful. This seems like a crapshoot IMO. I told them the max pack wasn't available in LE so I couldn't order one, but it didn't matter.

But again... I ordered my Model S back in 2014 never driving one. I just wanted it as soon as AWD was an option.

I wasn't disappointed then, don't think I'll be this time either if a Rivian just shows up at my door come January.

All I ask is that it has a 180kwh pack!
Thanks for the update, and the effort - I appreciate it. Agreed on how it currently seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

I reserved a Model S in 2010 and ordered it sight unseen when it became available a couple of years later. Same with the Model 3 Performance in 2018. So I’m not really concerned about seeing/driving the R1S prior to placing my final order… ***other than seeing paint colors in person***. I currently have my R1S LE configured with Launch Green + Ocean Coast - which should be a terrific combo - but I do want a chance to see the colors in person before clicking that “Finalize Order” button.
Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I don't think it should be controversial that while a Max Pack doesn't exclude you from participating, the number of spots is limited and clearly someone expected to take delivery sooner would be higher in the priority list to take a spot.

Also, I haven't seen anyone pose this question yet, but are these events going to be prohibited in states without direct sales laws? Every state's fine print is different, but I know that in some, one thing that is specifically prohibited is test drives. Now, there could be a loophole if the event is only for people with deposits, and thus they aren't performing "sales" per se, but I also wouldn't be surprised if these events never make it to places like Texas.

If so, I imagine there is a robust market for people to auction off their plus 2's........

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
I don't think it should be controversial that while a Max Pack doesn't exclude you from participating, the number of spots is limited and clearly someone expected to take delivery sooner would be higher in the priority list to take a spot.

Also, I haven't seen anyone pose this question yet, but are these events going to be prohibited in states without direct sales laws? Every state's fine print is different, but I know that in some, one thing that is specifically prohibited is test drives. Now, there could be a loophole if the event is only for people with deposits, and thus they aren't performing "sales" per se, but I also wouldn't be surprised if these events never make it to places like Texas.

If so, I imagine there is a robust market for people to auction off their plus 2's........
People throwing money around to just get a test drive... Yup, I'm sure it'll happen. People ideally would like to test drive before buying their vehicle, I get it. But will every pre-order holder get the opportunity to test drive one of these vehicles before they accept delivery? That hasn't been discussed, nor will we ever get a definitive answer I'm sure. I'm leaning towards not every preorder holder will get an opportunity to test drive.

Rivian has the try before you buy return policy don't they? Which is kind of the thing I go back and forth with. I would assume the bulk of people ordering these vehicles would accept them without a test drive knowing that they'll have a period of time to try out their vehicle, after which they could return it.

So if they have this return option the process of notifying pre-order holders to book a test drive seems kind of like an extra bonus. It is a courtesy, and I guess it's something that is tailored towards LE preorder holders, but that's not the absolute case here.

So I can absolutely see why some pre-order holders are upset, because there's a good chance that they'll never get to test drive one of these vehicles before it ends up in their driveway, regardless of when they placed their order.

Right now I'm most excited about people posting once their vehicles are delivered more so than anything from coming from Rivian. It'll just be cool to see people actually doing their own home videos of their vehicles. I'm sure that'll tide me over until I could get behind the wheel.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
People throwing money around to just get a test drive... Yup, I'm sure it'll happen. People ideally would like to test drive before buying their vehicle, I get it. But will every pre-order holder get the opportunity to test drive one of these vehicles before they accept delivery? That hasn't been discussed, nor will we ever get a definitive answer I'm sure. I'm leaning towards not every preorder holder will get an opportunity to test drive.

Rivian has the try before you buy return policy don't they? Which is kind of the thing I go back and forth with. I would assume the bulk of people ordering these vehicles would accept them without a test drive knowing that they'll have a period of time to try out their vehicle, after which they could return it.
I can guarantee that every person will have the option to test drive before accepting delivery, because they can't force you to purchase and take delivery. Whether someone chooses to wait for that opportunity or not is up to them. In addition, they have stated that personal test drives where they bring the vehicle to you will be offered, and we already know that they are staging deliveries where service centers are open, which will also have these test drive/loaner vehicles on hand. So yes, everyone will have the option to test drive before purchasing.

The return policy is kind of a marketing farce, because you have to think about what goes into that. Unless you buy for cash, you'd have to unwind a loan and perhaps a trade-in, so it's complicated. They know that virtually no one will hate it that much to go through with it, similar to all other similar return policies (people are lazy). The return policy is for defects (or state laws in some cases which require a grace period), not for figuring out that it doesn't have as many cup holders as you'd like.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Unless you buy for cash, you'd have to unwind a loan and perhaps a trade-in, so it's complicated.
That's been one of my questions since day one. How do you get your trade-in back since they pick it up when before the end of the "trial" period.

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Also, I haven't seen anyone pose this question yet, but are these events going to be prohibited in states without direct sales laws?
Depending on the interpretation of the law in IL, it prevents direct sales. The dealership association is taking the state to court in October.

Direct sales bans that shouldn't prevent it.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

So um....this may seem like an odd request, but if anyone was planning on bringing a rear facing car seat that would be fantastic. One of my biggest questions for the R1S is whether a rear facing car seat can fit behind the driver with the seat all the way back. If anyone is willing to do this I will send you 5 Internet Cool Guy points.
Exactly this. I can't fit in the driver's seat of either my Jeep grand cherokee or xc90 with an infant carseat behind the driver's seat.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

So if they have this return option the process of notifying pre-order holders to book a test drive seems kind of like an extra bonus. It is a courtesy, and I guess it's something that is tailored towards LE preorder holders, but that's not the absolute case here.

So I can absolutely see why some pre-order holders are upset, because there's a good chance that they'll never get to test drive one of these vehicles before it ends up in their driveway, regardless of when they placed their order.

Right now I'm most excited about people posting once their vehicles are delivered more so than anything from coming from Rivian. It'll just be cool to see people actually doing their own home videos of their vehicles. I'm sure that'll tide me over until I could get behind the wheel.
My biggest question is if it is possible to see a car in several colors, IN PERSON, before finalizing? Because I don't believe there are any true competitor vehicles, while a test drive would be nice, I don't need it.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Another request for anyone if you have access to the R1S on the test drive (IIRC some of the people invited are R1S reservation holders) can you find out whether or not it can be driven with the liftgate in the closed (down) position and the tailgate in the down (open) position for hauling longer objects like long pieces of lumber? I asked Customer Support this question and the response was basically: "Great question, that's the first I've heard that asked, I have no idea!"

Specifically I'm wondering if the liftgate will even close if the tailgate is down. That sets off the following logic chain:

If the motorized liftgate won't close with the tailgate down, can you still put it down manually without damaging the motors? If yes, will it stay down without being latched to the tailgate (or would it need to be secured down with straps)? If yes, will it cause error messages and/or refuse to let me shift into drive or make annoying sounds at me for the entire time I am driving?

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
One additional question, if it's not too much to ask:
-On the powered toneau cover, it appears to be a single button to open and close. I'm wondering if it's possible to open/close part way, so that the majority of the bed is covered, but the end is not. Would come in handy when hauling objects slightly too long for the bed (i.e. skis). Essentially, can you close it partway, and then open it back up without closing it the rest of the way first...if that makes sense.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Another request for anyone if you have access to the R1S on the test drive (IIRC some of the people invited are R1S reservation holders) can you find out whether or not it can be driven with the liftgate in the closed (down) position and the tailgate in the down (open) position for hauling longer objects like long pieces of lumber? I asked Customer Support this question and the response was basically: "Great question, that's the first I've heard that asked, I have no idea!"

Specifically I'm wondering if the liftgate will even close if the tailgate is down. That sets off the following logic chain:

If the motorized liftgate won't close with the tailgate down, can you still put it down manually without damaging the motors? If yes, will it stay down without being latched to the tailgate (or would it need to be secured down with straps)? If yes, will it cause error messages and/or refuse to let me shift into drive or make annoying sounds at me for the entire time I am driving?
Why would you not put a longer item like that on the roof?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Why would you not put a longer item like that on the roof?
1) lumber that is long enough to require having the tailgate down (>8') is heavy, awkward, and generally difficult to get onto the roof of an SUV by yourself. Even moreso to unload it in a garage.

2) lumber or raw material (like PVC) is ridiculously difficult to strap to a roof rack in such a way as to prevent it from sliding front to back because you have very limited surface area and those objects have very low coefficients of friction. Realistically this means that you need at least 2 ratchet straps, and I like to avoid getting up on the roof with ratchet straps in the Home Depot parking lot if I don't have to.

3)driving with the tailgate down is just cool

4)driving with the tailgate down and the windows open should provide less drag than just having the windows down, limiting the impact on efficiency.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One additional question, if it's not too much to ask:
-On the powered toneau cover, it appears to be a single button to open and close. I'm wondering if it's possible to open/close part way, so that the majority of the bed is covered, but the end is not. Would come in handy when hauling objects slightly too long for the bed (i.e. skis). Essentially, can you close it partway, and then open it back up without closing it the rest of the way first...if that makes sense.
I would expect it to work like the sunroof button in my current vehicle. Push it and it goes full open/close, but you can push it again to stop it.

Edit: Come to think of it, a lot of things work that way... Residential garage doors, for example.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
2) lumber or raw material (like PVC) is ridiculously difficult to strap to a roof rack in such a way as to prevent it from sliding front to back because you have very limited surface area and those objects have very low coefficients of friction. Realistically this means that you need at least 2 ratchet straps, and I like to avoid getting up on the roof with ratchet straps in the Home Depot parking lot if I don't have to.
I agree with your other points, and very much agree that it would be great if you can close the liftgate without closing the tailgate, but I'm not sure your #2 is as clear a difference as you suggest. If the tailgate is down, how are you going to keep the materials from sliding out the back? Do we know that there will be tie down points inside the R1S cargo area? (Ideally some that are available with all 3 rows up as well as some further forward that are usable if the 3rd row is down)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
1) lumber that is long enough to require having the tailgate down (>8') is heavy, awkward, and generally difficult to get onto the roof of an SUV by yourself. Even moreso to unload it in a garage.

3)driving with the tailgate down is just cool

4)driving with the tailgate down and the windows open should provide less drag than just having the windows down, limiting the impact on efficiency.
Soooo what you’re saying is, you actually need a van, or a utility trailer. ?
Sponsored