Sponsored

Anyone using Gorilla Lugnuts on their R1Ts? Should I be worried if I am?

Dr Medjools

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Mostly retired :)
Clubs

I’ve purchased non ORM wheels and tires from Discount Tire. Just realized they used Gorilla Lugnuts to fit on the wheels. Rivian wants 140 ft lbs of toque but in general these Lugnuts are rated fur under 100 ft lbs. is anyone using these and converted? The Ford truck forums have many using these at 150 ft lbs! Should I worried about these especially the thin socket wretches breaking in the field?
Sponsored

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T/20AT Brights, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Last edited:

corndog

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Wrangler, C8 Corvette
Occupation
Bum
Across the board I do not like lug nuts that are not steel. Use anti seize always. Trucks and Jeeps, breaking off a frozen non steel but cute aftermarket nut and replacing the stud is a total PITA.
Jus sayin

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Across the board I do not like lug nuts that are not steel. Use anti seize always. Trucks and Jeeps, breaking off a frozen non steel but cute aftermarket nut and replacing the stud is a total PITA.
Jus sayin
I like titanium lugnuts. No corrosion, and think of the weight savings!

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Jus sayin
Never use anti-seize on lugnuts. Any sort of lubrication will mean torquing to spec will actually be higher than spec and can eventually result in broken studs.

https://www.tirereview.com/bad-advice-for-lug-nuts/

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I like titanium lugnuts. No corrosion, and think of the weight savings!

I have a open ended set I've been meaning to sell because it shows lug ends which are silver haha OCD

corndog

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Wrangler, C8 Corvette
Occupation
Bum
Again, I always have, and always will use anti seize on steel lug nuts. Never had any problems on my Jeep, and many F450 and F350 trucks. We all have our own experiences and opinions based on that.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve purchased non ORM wheels and tires from Discount Tire. Just realized they used Gorilla Lugnuts to fit on the wheels. Rivian wants 140 ft lbs of toque but in general these Lugnuts are rated fur under 100 ft lbs. is anyone using these and converted? The Ford truck forums have many using these at 150 ft lbs! Should I worried about these especially the thin socket wretches breaking in the field?
A lug nuts torque spec is rated by size. You were probably looking at the specification for a 12mm lugnut. Rivians use a larger 14mm wheel stud and lugnut that requires the higher rating. Gorilla lugnuts are USA made and good quality. No need for Titanium... but it's your money.

Also, if you plan on swapping wheels, buy a proper 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 250ft lbs.
Sponsored