Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Impreza
Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Clubs

So I did a search on these keywords and found nothing, so I'm guessing this subject has not been posted. I noticed several financial oriented media outlets are speculating on the possibility of Apple either investing in or buying Rivian, since they' officially ditched their EV project last week. Just interested in reading what others here think of this idea. I would be ok with it, if Apple invested in and not outright bought Rivian. My thinking is Rivian already has its own cache/identity/brand awareness, that Apple woulld be foolish to mess with. Sort of like the way Toyota lets Subaru maintain its identity and boxer engines. Obviously, Apple's near bottomless pit of money would be huge, when competing against Tesla and others, that's the main benefit. As for marketing, maybe some slogan like "Rivian by Apple". Of course, Apple Carplay as standard would be a given, but Apple would also be wise to also have Android Auto as a standard choice as well, but Apple could add other Apple branded tech, maybe even helping develop Rivian's FSD. Anyway, here's a link to a March 8, 2024 Forbes article on this subject......

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2024/03/08/should-apple-buy-rivian/?sh=4e18c739461c
Sponsored

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
It is traditional in Japan when companies form a partnership they buy stock in each other.

Subaru purchased Toyota stock and Toyota purchased Subaru stock after they decided to build EVs together.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Rivian is partnered with Amazon. While its fun to think about apple I don't see that happening. Amazon Alexa is baked into the vehicle. If there is an acquisition I would expect it to be someone who is not a competitor to Amazon. Tesla or GM would be less threatening then Apple.

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
I thought Apple had given up on FSD tech and since Rivian is losing money Apple would not want their profits (at a time of stagnant revenue growth) to be hit. The auto business is a low margin business compared to their current market segments so I think this is unlikely.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I think Apple is wisely staying out of the ā€œcarā€ business so they probably donā€™t want to build vehicles of any type. I think their main goal for that project was software, whether it was FSD or just in vehicle software. We know they have been working on an expanded version of CarPlay that could basically replace the manufacturer software entirely.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
I think Apple is wisely staying out of the ā€œcarā€ business so they probably donā€™t want to build vehicles of any type. I think their main goal for that project was software, whether it was FSD or just in vehicle software. We know they have been working on an expanded version of CarPlay that could basically replace the manufacturer software entirely.
don't you know how to create a car company worth 10 billion dollars? first you create one worth 77 billion dollars and then produce vehicles for a couple years.

RivianMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S and 2012 BMW 528i
Occupation
Banking
Clubs

I think itā€™s very unlikely that Apple would buy Rivian. As a mature, publicly-traded company, Appleā€™s stock price is a function of the marketā€˜s perception of Appleā€™s future earnings. If Rivian were to become a wholly-owned subsidiary of Apple, that perception would take a hit over the short to intermediate term, due to Rivianā€™s continued start up losses. This would likely hurt Appleā€˜s stock price for up to a couple of years. This is all exacerbated by current market uncertainties about the EV industry in general. Take a look at Teslaā€™s stock price. Itā€™s recent 3-month to 1-year history is one of a declining trend. Thatā€™s due to the EV market uncertainties. Does Apple want to take that on? I doubt it.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'll just note that the speculation appears to have been kicked off by Gene Munster who is one of the most consistently wrong Apple analysts in history. I wouldn't get too excited.

Apple ships when:
  1. They believe a step change in technology enables a dramatic shift in the customer experience that opens new markets. They rarely invest in incremental growth.
  2. They believe they can control the key components of their technology and production soup-to-nuts.
They clearly thought for some time that this was true for EVs, owing at least to some extent to the broad delusion around full autonomous vehicles over the past ~5 years.

As this delusion has cleared up and the low-margin, high-commodity nature of EVs has come into start relief, I don't think Apple wants to touch it with a ten foot pole.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Wild speculation based on absolutely nothing at all other than "Apple cancelled their car project, they may want another car."

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Wild speculation. . . maybe

"Absolutely nothing" . . not so much (and I'm not talking about the color of the R2).
Sponsored