Australia - And other exports

Elks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit Ute
I've seen lots of articles today in the local media that Rivian has gotten local government approval to sell here in Australia.

And other than a press release in 2019 there seems nothing public (unless i missed it - which is likely).

Has anyone else seen any further details? I'd be keen to order one in preference to a Cybertruck, which we can preorder but it is just a little bit too out there for me.
Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I've seen the same articles. Nothing surprising really, though it would be awesome if we could build them here it Oz. It would make sense to have a dedicated plant for RHD vehicles, and we have a lot of rare earth minerals.

Now, if we can refine the Lithium and Cobalt and other minerals locally, produce the batteries locally, and build RHD versions locally, it would save a LOT of money spent on supply chain and shipping, plus give Rivian an entirely independent factory that can export to all RHD markets.

Here in Adelaide, we still have the Holden (GM) factory that was shut down years ago, and it just happens to be partially used by Sonnen Batteries at the moment.

Would be a great thing for our pollies to be pursuing, esp since we have a lot of people with experience building cars.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I've seen the same articles. Nothing surprising really, though it would be awesome if we could build them here it Oz. It would make sense to have a dedicated plant for RHD vehicles, and we have a lot of rare earth minerals.

Now, if we can refine the Lithium and Cobalt and other minerals locally, produce the batteries locally, and build RHD versions locally, it would save a LOT of money spent on supply chain and shipping, plus give Rivian an entirely independent factory that can export to all RHD markets.

Here in Adelaide, we still have the Holden (GM) factory that was shut down years ago, and it just happens to be partially used by Sonnen Batteries at the moment.

Would be a great thing for our pollies to be pursuing, esp since we have a lot of people with experience building cars.
Most of the other RHD markets are a lot closer to the US than they are to aus though. (I.e. uk, Caribbean)

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Suppose they could do what they’ve done with the Mitsubishi plant in Normal, with the ex Holden works.

This would require some forward thinking by scotty from marketing & co.
As Rivian are not a coal mining outfit, how far would that go?

it seems far more likely that if they build another factory outside of the US for non-R1 models it will be in the UK, or Europe.

CKD manufacturing or building another plant for R1 vehicles seems unlikely, they will have plenty of capacity in their existing factory.

Australia is far more accepting of American marques than, say, Japan. Look at how the US big 3’s attempts to enter that market have gone.

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional
Suppose they could do what they’ve done with the Mitsubishi plant in Normal, with the ex Holden works.

This would require some forward thinking by scotty from marketing & co.
As Rivian are not a coal mining outfit, how far would that go?

it seems far more likely that if they build another factory outside of the US for non-R1 models it will be in the UK, or Europe.

CKD manufacturing or building another plant for R1 vehicles seems unlikely, they will have plenty of capacity in their existing factory.

Australia is far more accepting of American marques than, say, Japan. Look at how the US big 3’s attempts to enter that market have gone.
Yeah I hear you. Scotty is gone next election (hopefully), and with him all the Cockatoo's from QLD (Nats).
Good thing is, Australia is already the largest producer of lithium in the world - unfortunately we don't refine it. That said, there are plans to build refineries, apparently.
That said, Andrew "Twiggy" Forrest from Fortescue, has ditched his Coal portfolio (as have BHP Billiton) and is firmly behind renewables - along with Mike Cannon Brookes solar farm, and Perrottets new enthusiam for Green Hydrogen, we're making progress. Here in SA we've got plans too;
https://www.smh.com.au/national/mor...time-to-act-on-emissions-20210930-p58w9n.html
We're on track to be producing 5x the local demand, purely in Wind and Solar, exporting to the eastern states, producing green Hydrogen and green steel, as well as exporting the H in the form of Ammonia. Would certainly be the place to build EV's. If we could refine the lithium and produce the battery packs, we're able to build the most expensive and heaviest part of the car.

If they build outside of the US, safe bet would be the UK.

OP
OP
Elks

Elks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit Ute
Yeah I hear you. Scotty is gone next election (hopefully), and with him all the Cockatoo's from QLD (Nats).
I wouldn't bet on Scotty being gone. And the QLD Nats will be there forever. A changed landscape whilst necessary is 50/50 at best.

It's really up to the states to lead the way.

And up to consumers to lead the states.

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional
I should add, that would be a retrograde step but its a stark reality,
Can't argue with that. Lets just say we all deserve better leadership at this time. Especially when it comes to renewables and climate change

Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Professional
Interesting article in the murdoch press today, with the Hyundai Ioniq5 impressing the reviewer - parts of this car is pretty sweet, but its not R1T or R1S. That said, the reviewer mentioned that they've got the option of an adaptor that plugs into the charge port, that supplied 3.6kw (ie a 240v 15amp socket) which is enough to power some pretty hefty electrical appliances.
Unfortunately they didn't mention battery capacities. It'll be interesting to see what they actually end up having, and whether or not it'd be a good option for soft roaders (folks with teardrop campers that just go to parks). Seems cool. What I'd like to see is a pair of 240v 10amp sockets that can each draw 20amp simultaneously

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...s/news-story/0382c4f105b2bd78aa9d7f55add28ec4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elks

Elks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit Ute
Does anyone know if there are updates on RHD production timing?

I know they have a few challenges getting US deliveries done, but so is Ford, GM, Tesla, so that is not a criticism, just a fact.

But it would be good to know or do we stat planning to look elswhere?

OP
OP
Elks

Elks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FPV Pursuit Ute

It looks like your right and I'm wrong. And I'm happy to be wrong on this.
Sponsored