Sponsored

Best configuration for max range R1S?

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Theoretically (without taking into account conditions, driving style, etc) I agree with the 21", aero, dual motor folks.

HOWEVER, I will say my R1S (quad motor) in conserve mode does "add" an extra 30-33 miles of projected range, as someone said earlier in the thread.

I do think Rivian is intentionally NOT advertising the range of the quad motor in conserve, for some reason. The Large Pack on the R1S quad in conserve would show 350+/- range and the large pack for both duals is estimated at 340 - I think it will be higher though.
Sponsored

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

No no no no. Please read all these forums. Max range is with 20 inch wheels with All season tires. There is so much data on this.
I read the thread. Also this one that is linked. There is some decent data comparing this custom setup to Rivian's stock all-terrain tires. But there is not good data comparing to Rivian's 21" wheels and stock all-seasons. I am not seeing evidence that it will be a huge improvement.

If she really wants max possible range, yeah, probably get the 20" wheels, buy separate tires and install, get Rivian to recalibrate. But if she doesn't want to mess with all that, I wouldn't think twice about going with the 21" stock setup. Sometimes people say they want all the hacks to maximize range, but once they realize how good the range is already from day to day experience, they stop worrying about it.

anthonysfl

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I read the thread. Also this one that is linked. There is some decent data comparing this custom setup to Rivian's stock all-terrain tires. But there is not good data comparing to Rivian's 21" wheels and stock all-seasons. I am not seeing evidence that it will be a huge improvement.

If she really wants max possible range, yeah, probably get the 20" wheels, buy separate tires and install, get Rivian to recalibrate. But if she doesn't want to mess with all that, I wouldn't think twice about going with the 21" stock setup. Sometimes people say they want all the hacks to maximize range, but once they realize how good the range is already from day to day experience, they stop worrying about it.
No it’s pretty much a fact smaller wheels are more efficient.

plus, more data on the 21’s comparison, I had an R1T with 21’s. I now have my R1S on 20’s with AS tires. I’m just as efficient if not more with the 20 setup. Not to mention I have running boards and mudflaps on the R1S.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Cool video. To clarify, I agree that the 20" with all seasons should be at least as efficient as the stock 21". I'm just saying that I haven't seen evidence that the difference is actually a significant difference.

MidnightRivian

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

In a perfect world, I would run two sets of 20” wheels where one would be for off-roading and one would be with high performance all seasons for range / handling.

Forged 20” wheels FTW
Sponsored