Sponsored

R1S Glass Roof Tint - Heat Rejection - Wrap outside of glass?

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
Please let me know if you have installed heat rejection glass roof tint on your R1S and you are thrilled with the difference it has made with heat in the car. I got my R1S in the fall, and now here in South Florida the baffling no-shade feature is brutally hot. Any info you can provide on tint brand, how dark you went, and cost would be helpful.

Alternatively, has anyone wrapped the outside of the glass with silver or white wrap in a similar effort to reject heat?
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

SoCal here. I have my front windshield tinted, and that has made quite a bit of difference in the sun. I left my roof untinted and never had heat-related issues except for in Death Valley last summer… but, it was ~120 deg, and I think that’s an edge case.

IMO, definitely get your front windshield tinted and then try it out. If you still feel you want some more cooling, then consider the roof tint.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

SoCal here. I have my front windshield tinted, and that has made quite a bit of difference in the sun. I left my roof untinted and never had heat-related issues except for in Death Valley last summer… but, it was ~120 deg, and I think that’s an edge case.

IMO, definitely get your front windshield tinted and then try it out. If you still feel you want some more cooling, then consider the roof tint.
I agree with this. Tinting the windshield has cooled off my windows more than anything else. I purchased a roof screen which did not help with cabin heat. After tinting windshield I was able to take off the roof screen with no observable increase in heat.

usulio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Yeah, I'm not in FL but a lot more heat comes in the windshield, and even the side windows, compared to the roof.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm not a fan of the glass roof and have considered doing exactly what you're considering. The issue is that the roof is not very strong to begin with and if an external wrap is seen as a modification then Rivian could deny any claims. You might consider a screen. There are a few out there. I'm waiting for a better version or a hot summer and I will just get whatever is out there.

Sponsored

eRacer

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
We had all of our windows tinted in our R1T using a cermaic tint. The windshiled received a clear UV protectant tint, the front windows they received a 30% tint and the rear windows received a 10% as well on top of the factory tint.

Overall we have had no issues with heat in the truck. We've had the truck in the Las Vegas and Los Angeles heat in the hot months and didn't experience any issues.

Can't really compare against the factory tint though as we had ours done just after we purchased the vehicle.

DELaunchR1S

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Would folks be more specific about windshield tint products as I know nothing about them and have never had tinted windows. Are we talking films or a ceramic application or what? Brand names? And is this done at a ceramic shop or a tint shop? Anyone know anyone good in Delaware/Philly/S Jersey market? Thanks

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Would folks be more specific about windshield tint products as I know nothing about them and have never had tinted windows. Are we talking films or a ceramic application or what? Brand names? And is this done at a ceramic shop or a tint shop? Anyone know anyone good in Delaware/Philly/S Jersey market? Thanks
I got 70% XPEL PRIME XR PLUS, which is a ceramic tint. It’s pretty minimal tint, and is mainly there for heat rejection and works great. There isn’t any visible hue, artifacts, etc when looking through it, which is what you want. Definitely get it professionally done at an XPEL dealer.

corndog

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F350, Wrangler, C8 Corvette
Occupation
Bum
Get the inside roof shade. Snaps in place and works like a charm. Going on 1.5 years now. I Drive in Lake Havasu City AZ. often. 115 degrees. EV Sportline for $49.95 last time I checked. Install is super simple and the clips they provide are genius. I have only the roof piece and tinted side windows.
I wouldn't put anything on that roof glass. It's brittle enough.
https://evsportline.com/products/ri...amic-roof-sun-shade-and-reflector-by-team-1ev

Last edited:

Acon

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I agree with this. Tinting the windshield has cooled off my windows more than anything else. I purchased a roof screen which did not help with cabin heat. After tinting windshield I was able to take off the roof screen with no observable increase in heat.
Same here.

Sponsored

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I did 50% tint on windshield and limo tint ( 15%) on glass roof. Problem solved. I used the highest end Llumar IRX IR blocking nano-ceramic tint. It’s all about the quality of the tint. They are not all the same and have different heat rejecting / IR and UV protection ratings. And of course, the better the tint the more expensive.

N7Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2023 R1T
Clubs

I had a tint installed on the top of the roof of my car. It helps keep the heat out and makes the interior a bit darker.

OP
OP

sphereobject

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Occupation
Troll
I have had this Hansshow shade in the R1S for about a week. It does not use brackets, but wedges under the headliner edges. This is the back glass only. It looks like they are no longer selling the front glass for the R1S:

https://amzn.to/4481DRX

This has the silver-ish fabric facing outward, with black facing inward.

At first it really noticeable lowers the interior headroom of the car. But, the alternative of baking in the sun is worse.

My long term plan is to vinyl wrap the exterior sunroof windows with perforated silver vinyl when I get a chance.

2023WHITE-R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I used GSWF Defender SPF70 SUNROOF PROTECTION

70% VLT tinted sunroof protection film
Durable TPU-based sunroof protection
Reduces Heat by 90%
Blocks harmful UV rays by 99%

https://shop.gswf.com/products/usa-defender-spf70-sunroof-protection

I had all windows and windshield ceramic tinted at the same time. Only received my R1S in October so not many warm sunny days, but interior temps are definitely improved.
Sponsored